Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need Help Modifying a Homebrew Weapon

Heyo, wasn't able to find much info so I'm hoping someone can help me modify the weapon in my sheet. My character found a magic spear called Maraxion that does double damage on non-dragon creatures. I'm unsure how to modify the settings to account for this.  Thanks in advance! Heres the specifics if you need it:  Spear of Maraxion +1 When this weapon strikes a non-dragon creature it deals double damage  

Edited 1714358994
Gauss
Forum Champion
Hi Alt_Girl103,  Which character sheet are you using? If you don't know the name please supply a screenshot.  (Note: before you say "5e" there are seven D&D 5e character sheets.)
Hi Gauss,  I believe that I am using the D&D 5e Basic PC Sheet just by looking at the settings, but I did include a screenshot in case. Lmk if you need anything else. Thanks!
Gauss
Forum Champion
For future reference that sheet is called the "D&D 5e by Roll20" character sheet.  There is no setting within the sheet for modifying a weapon's damage dealt to creatures.  With that said, I might be able to do something where it targets a creature, checks the target's creature type, and then applies a modifier based on that.  However, that is really overkill. I suggest modifying the damage to be doubled, then put in a note in the notes section of the weapon attack that says the damage is halved against creatures with the Dragon type.  In either case, I need a screenshot of the weapon's statistics. Please edit the attack and provide that for the screenshot.  Example: 
Gotcha okay thanks, I'm still a new player to roll20 so I was struggling to find the character sheet type. Anyway, I included a screenshot of the edited weapon statistics. I did double the damage (so 2d6 instead of 1d6) and included in the notes of half damage on dragon types like you suggested. 
Gauss
Forum Champion
Question, is all damage doubled or only the damage dice? 
In your description, you wrote that this spear does double damage to non-dragon creatures. Changing the damage from 1d6 to 2d6 doesn't really do that, it instead only increases the damage. If you instead change the formula to 2*1d6, it will roll 1d6 and double the result. I know, I'm being pedantic, especially for this low a damage roll, but it does change the damage curve a bit :). Alt_Girl103 said: Gotcha okay thanks, I'm still a new player to roll20 so I was struggling to find the character sheet type. Anyway, I included a screenshot of the edited weapon statistics. I did double the damage (so 2d6 instead of 1d6) and included in the notes of half damage on dragon types like you suggested. 
Gotcha. Okay, I can definitely change it to 2*1d6, as that makes more sense to me. Anyway, to answer your question, I included the screenshot of the description I was given by my DM. I'm unsure, based on this description, if it just doubles all the damage or damage dice. 
Going by the description that your GM wrote, it doubles the damage, not the damage dice. In which case I would use 2*1d6 for the formula. Alt_Girl103 said: Gotcha. Okay, I can definitely change it to 2*1d6, as that makes more sense to me. Anyway, to answer your question, I included the screenshot of the description I was given by my DM. I'm unsure, based on this description, if it just doubles all the damage or damage dice. 
Awesome, thank you both for your help!
Gauss
Forum Champion
I would go a step further:  change your damage calculation to: 2*1d6 + @{strength_mod} +1 Strength is already added once, as is the magic modification. This adds a second strength mod and magic mod so that they too are doubled.  Then for your critical hit field you need to also put in 2*1d6
Cool, so something like this?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, but you need to add @{strength_mod} to the first 2*1d6 so that it looks like: 2*1d6 +@{strength_mod} Strength will be added automatically once, but not twice, so you have to put the @{strength_mod} in.  Note: do not add it to the Crit line, Crits in D&D 5e are dice only. 
If you want to get a bit complicated too, you can combine resources, attributes and abilities to make it work out. First, make a new resource (lets also assume that this resource is at Row Index 4, left), and call it "Dragon?", and set its value to either 0 or 1. Then, in Attributes and Abilities, make these Attributes: Attribute     Value      |     Value_Max prefix    @{ SoMD     @{prefix}@{character_name}|SoMD@{repeating_resource_$4_resource_left}} SoMD0     (1d6 + @{strength_mod}[STR] + 1[MOD])*2 SoMD1     1d6 + @{strength_mod}[STR] + 1[MOD] Then, make these macros in the Abilities side: To Hit: Call it SoM @{wtype}&{template:atk} {{mod=+[[@{strength_mod}[STR] + @{pb}[PROF]]]}} {{rname=[Spear of Maraxian](~SoMD)}} {{rnamec=[Spear of Maraxian](~SoMD_crit)}} {{r1=[[1d20cs>20 + @{strength_mod}[STR] + @{pb}[PROF]]]}} @{rtype}cs>20 + @{strength_mod}[STR] + @{pb}[PROF]]]}} {{range=20/60ft}} {{desc=When this weapon strikes a non-dragon creature, it deals double damage}} {{globalattack=@{global_attack_mod}}} Damage Roll: Call it SoMD @{wtype}&{template:dmg} {{attack=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[@{SomD}]]}} {{dmg1type=Piercing}} {{globaldamage=[[@{global_damage_mod_roll}]]}} {{globaldamagetype=@{global_damage_mod_type}}} Crit Roll: Call it, SoMD_crit @{wtype}&{template:dmg} {{attack=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[(@{SomD})*2]]}} {{dmg1type=Piercing}} {{globaldamage=[[@{global_damage_mod_roll}]]}} {{globaldamagetype=@{global_damage_mod_type}}} The difference is that the damage is multiplied by 2, Idk if that is how you do it in your campaign though, so there may need to be a change if not) Finally, go into the Weapons Sheet itself in Core, and in its description field, put in "%{your_characters_name|SoM}", and whenever you go to roll a hit, it should run that macro instead. (not perfect, but it will work). Then to get the macro-damage, be sure to select the Purple highlight in the chat from the hit roll. What this allows you to do is, if you set the resource "Dragon?" to 1, it'll run "@{SoMD1}", which will run the damage without the *2