Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Got a good way of tracking Alert/Threat Levels in game?

Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Possible spoilers below. I'm running Dead in Thay and the Doomvault is in a constant state of alert that fluctuates based on character actions and events that occur during the campaign. Now, obviously, I can grab a post-it and stick it to my monitor or even create a handout only I can see to keep track, but I was wondering if anyone had a better way, like an at-a-glance window or an alternative initiative-like tracker I can quickly pop up, or even always have on screen to adjust. I don't have a pro account, so writing a custom script using the API is out, but I'd still be interested to hear ideas.

Edited 1619485996
You can make a multi-sided ("rollable") token, with the different threat levels as the different "sides". You just need an image for each threat level. Create a rollable table with each of those images as an entry, and, when you're done, press the "Token" button to generate a multisided token on the vtt. That's how I would do it, anyway. Edit: I have a better idea, below.
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
That was my first inclination too, but the token remains on the map wherever you put it, rather than following the view around. Does that make sense? A digital post-it note that's always in the same place, no matter where I am on any given map and between maps would be the "perfect" solution, but obviously not a current feature. I think there might be a way with the Card Decks, but I'm still kinda futzin with that functionality.

Edited 1619462778
You can roll a dice and then drag the image of that dice from chat to the desktop within roll20.  It creates a multisided token.
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Patrick said: You can roll a dice and then drag the image of that dice from chat to the desktop within roll20.  It creates a multisided token. Right, but just like any other multi-sided token, it gets placed on the map at whatever spot I drop it. I don't want to have to continually move it around and/or from map to map in order to see it.

Edited 1619485862
Here's a silly idea, but it will do what you want! Pick one of the regular macro buttons you have in your macro quick bar at the bottom of your screen, or, if you don't have any such macros, go ahead and make one--it doesn't matter what it is. Then use the right mouse button to change the color of that macro button to indicate the threat level. Here's an example with five threat levels; not sure how many there are in Dead in Thay : Threat Level 1: Threat Level 2: Threat Level 3: Threat Level 4: Threat Level 5: The macro quick bar follows you around no matter which map you're on and where you are on that map, so it should be a workable solution.
Christopher K
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Sarah Rebecca Cohen said: Here's a silly idea, but it will do what you want! Pick one of the regular macro buttons you have in your macro quick bar at the bottom of your screen, or, if you don't have any such macros, go ahead and make one--it doesn't matter what it is. Then use the right mouse button to change the color of that macro button to indicate the threat level. Here's an example with five threat levels; not sure how many there are in Dead in Thay : Threat Level 1: Threat Level 2: Threat Level 3: Threat Level 4: Threat Level 5: Not a bad idea at all, though there are 10 threat levels (oy!). It does solve the issue of having it remain on the screen. What I'm trying right now is a custom deck. I've eliminated all but A-9 (Ace is 0) of hearts. The deck gets placed in the bottom corner of the screen and floats there no matter where you are in your game. There's no way to have a specific drawn card lay on top of the deck, but I can just keep drawing till it goes to the next or previous desired level. Since there's only 10, it doesn't take a ton of clicks. I could go a step further and create custom images, but why waste the disk space?