Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Making a section of map always visible

Is there an easy way to make a section of a map (using Dynamic Lighting) always visible to the players. I have legends I would like the players to see. I have tried using tokens with lights but that only seems to work if the players have full control of the tokens. Chris
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Surround the legend with DL lines and dropping a player controlled light crumb in there should be enough... the fact that the players can control the light token is only an issue if they can see it ;) Make it an invisible token that emits light and they'll likely never acknowledge it, and even if they did it wouldn't be able to leave the DL box around the legend anyway. There are also layers you can put the crumb on that will still emit light but not allow the players to select the token but that seems more effort than it is worth for this use case lol
Yes - that is what I did. Annoying that the players occasionally whisper as the light crumb. However thanks for the feedback.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ah players, they never fail to ruin an experience! You could  include the players tokens in the DL box too and set one of them to emit enough light to show the legend... then move those tokens to the map layer so that they can't move them, a GMs work is never done right!?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Just to throw an out-of-the-box idea in: You could include the legend as a handout. Reveal it to the players when they get to the map. They can double-click the header to expand or collapse it as needed.
Slowglass said: Yes - that is what I did. Annoying that the players occasionally whisper as the light crumb. However thanks for the feedback. I made a 'Party' character with a rollable token - there's an 'overland' hex token for the main game map, then a 'battle map' square token for square grids, then the third token is just a transparent .png.  So when I want a light crumb for the players I use the transparent token and turn off the nameplate from player view and add a GM-only aura. So there's no 'Light Crumb' for my players to speak as, and they don't see the token to click on and move around within the Legend. If you want to limit your players to only having their character as an option for their 'speaking as', if you can convince them to install Stylus you could create a style for them: /* Hide all BUT specific characters template*/ #speakingas option:not([value=player\|player_id]):not([value=character\|character_id]) {     display: none; :not([value=]) } /* Example of that it will look like */ #speakingas option:not([value=character\|-KHIA-W9OoZp9eE6UdWy]):not([value=player\|-M4MqKQpTCRs8I6I65Rh]):not([value=character\|-M7YiSUD9rhnHKmKmBnY]):not([value=character\|-M7Yi0tFL482VJrJBblW]):not([value=character\|-M7Yi3hBPf_U-VYId7q0]):not([value=character\|-M7YiVxk1Hz1ebQYkDhh]):not([value=character\|-M7YiXjwmM2ztpWWzsj7])  {     display: none; }