Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Which Door Management script should I use?

So, one of the things I decided to test the API for is door control. It appears there are basically 3 scripts available for that: Door Knocker, Matt's Door Control and Door Master. Which one do people here recommend? What are the pros and cons of each? I've read through some of their documentation and forum threads, but couldn't make a clear picture in my head about it. Also, are there any other ones that are worth mentioning?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Door Knocker gets my recommendation, hands down. Practically zero setup, default settings already match Roll20 official DL line color choices, can be operated by GM and/or players, flexible, does windows out of the box (block movement but not sight), developer is active on forums.
keithcurtis said: Door Knocker gets my recommendation, hands down. Practically zero setup, default settings already match Roll20 official DL line color choices, can be operated by GM and/or players, flexible, does windows out of the box (block movement but not sight), developer is active on forums. Thanks, Keith. I'm not sure I like the token proximity approach, but it certainly seems to be the one that is most actively developed and has most needed options. I'm leaning towards it.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
keithcurtis said: Door Knocker gets my recommendation, hands down. Practically zero setup, default settings already match Roll20 official DL line color choices, can be operated by GM and/or players, flexible, does windows out of the box (block movement but not sight), developer is active on forums. Thanks for the kind words Keith! Alryon said: keithcurtis said: Door Knocker gets my recommendation, hands down. Practically zero setup, default settings already match Roll20 official DL line color choices, can be operated by GM and/or players, flexible, does windows out of the box (block movement but not sight), developer is active on forums. Thanks, Keith. I'm not sure I like the token proximity approach, but it certainly seems to be the one that is most actively developed and has most needed options. I'm leaning towards it. I may have some plans ;)
I am using The Door Knocker Script but don't use a single token I have changed the assigned token of the script to a fully transparent one and set an Aura of 0.01 in red on it.  I also change it to a drawing so it don't snap to grid and make it just bigger then the walls and place it just to the side of each door that only the DM can see.  Allows me to just click on a spot by each door and then click open or close.  Within a few clicks you can add the control token to all doors and never need to look for the opener again.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
In the past, I have used the Bump API on the Doorknocker token. Now it's just a token action common to all tokens. Very simple.

Edited 1620768505
Stephen C. said: I am using The Door Knocker Script but don't use a single token I have changed the assigned token of the script to a fully transparent one and set an Aura of 0.01 in red on it.  I also change it to a drawing so it don't snap to grid and make it just bigger then the walls and place it just to the side of each door that only the DM can see.  Allows me to just click on a spot by each door and then click open or close.  Within a few clicks you can add the control token to all doors and never need to look for the opener again. I'll probably try something along those lines.
keithcurtis said: In the past, I have used the Bump API on the Doorknocker token. Now it's just a token action common to all tokens. Very simple. It's a good solution, I guess. It's just that I imagine situations in which I don't want to move a token next to a door to operate it. It's all conjecture, though, as I haven't tested the API yet.
Scott C. said: I may have some plans ;) Oh, looking forward to those...