Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Player or NPC tokens: Portrait or Top-Down

Hi, I'm a creator here on Roll20 Marketplace. So far I have put out a few NPC token portrait token packs. I'm trying to figure out what players and DMs are interested in for their games. When you're looking for tokens for player characters or NPCs do you prefer to use portrait tokens or top down? I can understand the in-game advantages to using top down tokens but I really can't make myself like them all that much. I definitely prefer portrait tokens but I've been trying to figure out a top down design that I like without much success. What are your thoughts? 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think top down are more popular last I heard, but it's entirely possible the statistic is warped by Devin Night...
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: I think top down are more popular last I heard, but it's entirely possible the statistic is warped by Devin Night... That is certainly possible. Speaking totally for myself here, the system I prefer to run uses field of view, which simply (to my mind anyway) makes more sense with top down tokens.  Then, when I find myself needing a bunch of npcs to populate a tavern when running Pathfinder which doesn't use field of view, I still end up using the top down tokens for the npcs simply because I already have them...  I do use portrait tokens for named npcs though. If my preferred (and starting) system had been one where the characters are considered to have 360 vision all the time, I probably would have invested in the portrait style tokens for npcs instead. This probably isn't much help in making your decision, but figured I would post my experience for whatever it is worth.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I used to use topdown, and still prefer them for monsters. That being said, the utility of having the Compendium ready-to-go with portrait tokens is so much of a convenience, that I pretty much have resigned myself to them. My players prefer portrait, because they can find just the right art and make their own. For PCs and NPCs it's just better for associating someone with their appearance.
My players prefer portraits, and I use them for most named NPCs.  I still use top-down when the condition of the token is more important than the individual identity, like guard, prisoner, soldier, or other mook.  
Thank you guys very much. I like the idea of having the named NPCs have portrait art but then the grunts just have a top down. 
Wordforger
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I use both.  The portraits tend to be for important NPCs.