Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[HarnMaster3] Big sheet update

Edited 1624617818
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to post this: I just wanted to inform all players of the HarnMaster3 system that I just did a big update to the roll20 sheet. More information on the updates can be found in the readme for the sheet in the  roll20 repository . A quick look at what the sheet looks like now (note the new tabs for Character, Inventory and Settings) If you have any questions or run into any issue feel free to drop me a note here in this thread, or PM me.
Looking good! Great to see someone start to update the HM3 sheet. Took just a quick peek at the sheet (will take a more thorough one once I have the time) and found a few typos and one bug. First the bug, if you use default Endurance/Condition option, the sheet does not calculate Encumbrance (ArmorCarry value is 0 always), it does not roll Shock rolls propelry but has its base as 0 always (and thus the roll always fails) and Move value is 0 always. This was with legacy characters (done with the old sheet), don't know if this is the cause. Once you select "Condition as askill only" option, the sheet populates those values with correct numbers and Encumbrance, ArmorCarry and Move are correct, plus Shock Rolls work as intended. Then the typos.  - There are two characteristics which appear to be typos, but might just be cut off prematurely. These are Morality (shown as "Moralit") and Estrangement (shown as "Estrangem"). - Under Rituals, deity is written as "diety". - The attack roll template gives weapon impacts at the bottom and the Blunt Impact's B is in lower case (as "b") while it should be in upper case like the other impacts are (i.e. as "B"). - More of a layout issue, under Magic the word "Convocation" is bunched too close to "Lvl", they get squashed together. - Also not really a typo, but Harn has (AFAIK) used the British spelling of armor as armour. As a parting thought, I might have used Equipped instead of Carried as the word to denote that the piece of equipment is being used, worn or  equipped by the character. Also, for the roll template, I might have used the word Modifier instead of Targetmod for the modifiers affecting the roll (in addition to the Physical/Universal Penalty). Just my 2 cents and English is not my first language, so take this with a grain of salt. Anyway, thank you for your hefty update to the old HM3 sheet. Keep up the good work!  

Edited 1624906200
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Tommi,  thank you for all the great feedback. I've addressed the typo's and layout, and I've also changed "magic skills" to "shek pvar" to be in line with the rulebook. Funny thing was that the whole sheet had everything as armor, which I followed while working on it, never thought to check the rulebook (you're right, it is armour with the British spelling there). I had also noted the issue with encumbrance after my update was merged, and have written a fix already, I'll submit a new pull request later today. It would happen with any character with no condition skill, and for migrated characters if there had been no recalculations yet. That should now be fixed (the value is set to be equal to endurance if a character has no condition skill, and during migration the value is at least calculated/set once). I've also renamed the information on the sheet to " condition/5" , I think that's clearer in relation to the rules on Skills 9. (this whole attribute developed from our houserule that we only use Condition as endurance for encumbrance calculations, we found RAW too powerful ). edit/update: I'll also consider the "Equipped" suggestion but before I change that I'm curious what other people think update2: My minor fixes were just merged, the typos (and the layout issue truncating the two words Morality and Estrangement) and issues should be fixed now.

Edited 1625082352
Had a few moments to futher test the new sheet. It is a marked improvement over the old one, which was very bare bones (but better than nothing, for sure!). Many, many thanks! The main improvements in the new sheet, for me, are the inventory and armour sections - having an easy way to manage both is a major blessing. As the sheet now calculates what you're carrying automatically and you can just easily click items on and off is super great and eliminates the biggest hassle with the old sheet. I wasn't able to find any further bugs, other than it seems the sheet does not calculate all mounted effects correctly. When you're mounted, your fatigue and encumbrance penalties should be halved, but when I tested this, the penalties were unaffected. Granted, I had not entered any stats for a mount, but those should not affect this anyway. For ranged weapons, you have put P (for Point) as the weapon aspect, but other aspects are possible for ranged weapons. For example, slingstones strike with Blunt not Point aspect. Also, if using the optional rules in Combat 17, thrown weapons can strike with B, E, or P aspect. Maybe that P should be changed to IMP (for Impact) instead. One would need a place to enter the weapon's basic aspect, too. Just having a new box where to enter the weapon's aspect code would be fine. Well, I guess one could just use the ranged weapon's Ammo section to list the aspect. I found a new typo as well. When making a healing check, the roll template lists wound severity and the healing rate in lower case, they should be in upper case. Severity as: M, S, G, or K (not m, s, g, or k). Healing Rate as: H (not h). For example: M1, H4. As I said before, English is not my first language, so I really can't be sure of this, but I think it would be better if the roll template would say e.g. "John rolls vs. Climbing" rather than "John rolls Climbing". That is, the "vs." would be added after the word "rolls". Either that, or have it be a bit longer, e.g. "John rolls a Climbing check". But I think someone who is a native English speaker should comment this. To me, the "[name] rolls [skill]" sounds a bit off. P.S. Remember to update the sheet's version number as you make changes, please. That way it is easy to notice if/when something has been changed. Thanks!
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Great testing work, thanks again for the detailed feedback. I'll try to work on the sheet a bit more in the weekend and this time I'll try to remember to actually update the version number. I'll have a think what would be an effective way to address the various impact options for ranged weapons, as we only use bows it hadn't crossed my mind to consider the other options. The mount issue I'll troubleshoot, when I did testing myself it worked alright. Since harn rules do mathematical rounding you wouldn't see a difference if you had 1 universal penalty, as that would half to 0,5 which would round back up to 1 again. You shouldn't need stats for the mount filled in, that shouldn't affect the basic functionalities of the mounted toggle.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
So two questions for anyone else using the HarnMaster3 sheet, ideally a native English speaker: 1) Does "Equipped" sound like the best replacement for the current "Carried (C)" on the sheet? If not, what other suggestions should I consider? 2) What do people think about the titles for the roll templates? I read up on the rules and there the examples use the word "tested", so I could also do something like "Charactername tests SkillX" . I'll hold of on these linguistical adjustments until I have a bit more feedback.

Edited 1625156885
"Equipped" is a good replacement, I think. As a native English speaker, to me it conveys the typical RPG concept of having something on one's person, ready to be employed. Likewise, "tests" is the term the rulebook uses, so I think that would be an appropriate word choice. That's a nice looking sheet! Thank you for making this.
In a bit of a rush, so I keep this brief. Regarding the mounted issue, it halves the fatigue penalty, but it does not halve the encumbrance penalty, which it should (AFAIK). I think the "[CharName] tests [SkillName]" is a very good solution for the skill roll templates.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Found the bug Tommi, thank you, have it fixed in my code. Will wrap up other changes (I'll adopt the text change suggestions) and submit a new pr this weekend. I have also changed some sheetworkers to account for the fact that people can hide the horse from the sheet. If the horse is hidden, all horse attributes will be zero and should not be considered in the combat stats section (currently move gets updated in the combat stats: if you're mounted it will show Horse move). Now (with the next update) if the horse section is hidden, no horse info will be taken into account. The fact that being mounted reduces penalties still works conform RAW.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Tommi and Devin, the fixes and text changes have been merged into the repository, the sheet should be updated for you. Great feedback and enjoy the sheet
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Since you've been so helpful providing feedback, I'm wondering what you think of the following: Roll20 will add the ability to add the avatar to the character sheet. I've played around a bit with it on the dev server, and added another element inspired by the paper sheet. What do you think of the below, a banner in the header of the sheet with the avatar set by the player as a character portait in the banner: the paper sheet looks like this:
Dear Olaf, I am very pleased with the look of the old sheet, I was caught off guard however in that is completely replaced the old sheet. This had the bad side effect of disabling any Macro I was using that derived from the combat section. When I drag the skill roll indicator to the macro bar it lists the skill but the roll does not work from the bar, only from the sheet, (and example of this error message No ability was found for %{Bastian|repeating_weapon_WeaponAMLSkillCheck}). All my other macros still work fine as do my links.  Also I am not seeing any encumbrance reduction for fighting while mounted except for the riding skill itself.

Edited 1625855360
When you hit the button to close the legacy Armour everything is filled in but the items on the thigh.  It will put the numbers but not the item that was listed there.  Example: Cloth, Leather I was having issues with encumbrance and still don't know how to fix it.  I pressed blocks on the tool page and it started to work.  I feel I shouldn't have to click anything to have the encumbrance working. 

Edited 1625853907
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you both for the feedback!  @Henry I initially wanted to submit my work as a "v2" version to have it exist parallel to the old sheet, but roll20 wouldn't accept that, they only want one sheet if a system already has one. I do appreciate that my adding quite a bit of new functions to the sheet has disrupted your macro setup. Let me see if I can  replicate/troubleshoot your issue . With regards to the mounted adjustments: I had a bug in v20210801 where only universal penalty was halved but encumbrance wasn't when mounted. This should be fixed in v20210802, which was merged yesterday. Can you verify you're now on this version? And if so, what is not working exactly when you toggle mounted? Also, if you don't use horse and don't want your move and combat initiative recalculated when you're mounted (the calculations I do are following RAW where you calculate initiative based on horse initiative in mounted combat), you can toggle in the settings " show horse section" . If the horse section is hidden it will also not recalculate combat move and combat initiative when toggling mounted status. (i'll try to remember to add some tooltips to clarify this) @Marcus can you perhaps clarify what you've done exactly? I didn't provide any automation to copy data over from the legacy armour section, that is up to the player to copy over before closing the legacy section. There is no way this can be automated as in the legacy way all layers are added together and only the result is stored in the sheet, whereas now each item is stored individually and the armour values are automatically calculated.  make sure to mark the item as equipped for both the encumbrance and the armour values to be calculated  By the way if you want the legacy armor section back, I don't have a button for it yet (not sure if I should add it somewhere), but if you go to the Abilities tab, find the attribute " legacyarmorhidden"  and set it to 0 (if it's hidden it will be 1) the section will reappear, in case you still need to copy data out of it. There was an issue with encumbrance in my first update, the latest version of the sheet, 20210802, should fix the encumbrance calculation and it should all work automatically. Please do note that only equipped items are used in encumbrance calculation, giving you the ability to own items and record them on your sheet without actually equipping/carrying them. Which buttons on the tool page did you click? The only thing that is related is the setting for condition. By default it follows Harn RAW, with the option to use condition only for carrying capacity, or not use it at all and have it as a rollable skill only. There was an issue with this in version 20210801 that Tommi already reported and which was fixed in 20210802. If there is still an issue please provide some more details on the exact steps you take and the result it gives you.

Edited 1625855320
The issue is with the old sheet being replaced with this one.  If you have a character from a HarnMaster game with the old sheet it doesn't enter the thigh info.  I should have been more.clear. I have 5 games that I had to fix and many other people did also. So any macros that I made do not work anymore because the old sheet was replaced with this one. This sheet is better but I wish all my work would have worked on the new.sheet. But again.  Old sheet thigh info not working.  If I had Clorh, Leather there it went missing with the new sheet.
Olaf, I run a HarnMaster 3 discord channel here.&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://discord.gg/Jd2GDQuP" rel="nofollow">https://discord.gg/Jd2GDQuP</a> I'm also putting in HarnMaster 3 modules for Columbia Games if you want to chat anytime.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Hi Marcus, thank you for sharing the discord, I'll join it soon (on my laptop atm where I don't have discord). I had a quick look at the weapon rolls and dragging them to the macro bar. I can't see any issue with my code by I do see it is not working (getting the same error you are). Weirdly enough if I move the exact same button to the weapon section in the inventory tab I CAN make a macro quick bar button via drag-and-drop.&nbsp; Would it help you and your group if I duplicate the roll buttons on the inventory section so you could drag and drop them from there? I could do that this weekend. Trying to figure out why it doesn't work on the character tab will most likely take me longer, as I don't have much time to dedicate to this in the next few weeks. And I realise the forced update can have a major impact. As I said I submitted it as an alternative "enhanced"&nbsp; option first, but roll20 doesn't accept multiple sheets for the same system anymore. I thought my additions such as better inventory management and armor calculation would be worth it in the end. And for our group the horse auto calculations are a big thing, the horse combat rules can eb quite calculation intensive per RAW.
Hi Olaf, I understand the update issue, The roll buttons on the inventory bar would help as my work around at the moment required me to add attribute that I have to update every time a player increases a skill roll or changes weapons out. The header looks great btw.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Quick update: I just submitted a pull-request which includes the fix for the drag-and-drop to the macro bar. Thanks to the community the issue was identified so I didn't do the workaround via the inventory tab, the roll buttons on the character tab can now be drag-and-dropped (once my request is merged, you can see the status here:&nbsp; [HarnMaster3] Bugfix - Fix drag-and-drop to macro bar for repeating weapons roll by olafvantol · Pull Request #9207 · Roll20/roll20-character-sheets (github.com) &nbsp;; also the sheet version will be bumped to 20210803 / v2.2). I checked and the roll names are the same as for the old sheet, so hopefully old macros will start working again (unless they were already changed/removed by the players). I still need to look into the thigh armor issue, I'll make some time for that later this week. The header is prepped and ready to go, but will require roll20 to move their new code from dev to production. As soon as they do, I will bring the update with the header to the sheet.
Thanks Olaf!
Something's gone wonky on the new sheet version (v.2.2). The roll templates look like this (on Chrome, haven't tested other browsers):&nbsp;
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
The computed:: &nbsp;output is a backend change that was pulled into Live today that will get/has been hotfixed.&nbsp;
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Indeed, the issue that we see now in the roll templates was already reported on the dev server. It's a roll20 code issue, not a sheet issue. Somehow roll20 released it without fixing the issue first. see also&nbsp; Community Forums: Macro suddenly produces 2 lines per result | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop &nbsp; and&nbsp; Community Forums: Now on Dev Server: Custom Roll Parsing for Character Sheets | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop &nbsp;. @Richard do you have any roll20 confirmation they're aware and/or will be hotfixing soon? I couldn't find any official post, and I'd have expected an update to their release notes to acknowledge the issue .
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Olaf said: Indeed, the issue that we see now in the roll templates was already reported on the dev server. It's a roll20 code issue, not a sheet issue. Somehow roll20 released it without fixing the issue first. see also&nbsp; Community Forums: Macro suddenly produces 2 lines per result | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop &nbsp; and&nbsp; Community Forums: Now on Dev Server: Custom Roll Parsing for Character Sheets | Roll20: Online virtual tabletop &nbsp;. @Richard do you have any roll20 confirmation they're aware and/or will be hotfixing soon? I couldn't find any official post, and I'd have expected an update to their release notes to acknowledge the issue . This was hotfixed sometime yesterday afternoon.&nbsp; At least, it went away for the roll templates on my sheets.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
I received two tips on issues via discord, for the wider community i'll post the update here. I've submitted a PR to roll20 with fixes, when it's merged the issues will be fixed:&nbsp; (1) [Harnmaster3] Bugfixes by olafvantol · Pull Request #9258 · Roll20/roll20-character-sheets (github.com) Issues reported 1) Weapon DML rolls not working correctly 2) Horse info (breed and gender) not being stored (had to be entered every time sheet was opened).
btw the Punch and Kick combat sections are not autofilling in the combat part
Hi Is there a reason you changed fields from @{name} to @{character_name} ?&nbsp; Were there other field names you changed as well? I have over a hundred NPCs and PC sheets and now none of my token macros display character name. I cannot see any way other than making changes in over 600 individual macros. All my NPCs were created from a template with 5-10 token macros on each one. This change has basically shafted my npc library without hours and hours of tedious work. Cheers Brian
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Thank you for sharing your feedback! @Joe I can't reproduce what you mean: Punch and Kick on the sheets I have fill in based on the unarmed skill from the skills/combat skills section&nbsp; following default Harn rules. All values WGT through to B/E/P/F are pre-filled and read-only based on the rule book. ML is filled automatically based on unarmed skills, AML and DML are calculated as per Harn rules. You can add a note and roll the buttons. Let me know in more detail what your issue is and I'll try to help or fix. @Brian I changed the field to be in line with the recommendations and best practices from roll20 as advised on&nbsp; Building Character Sheets - Roll20 Wiki &nbsp;. This also has the benefit of aligning character name as users enter it in the rest of the system with the info on the sheet. I did provide for migration of data as recommended by roll20, but I can't provide for macro updates via the sheet unfortunately. I do understand your pain that that has messed with your macro's and tokens. To prevent duplicate migration changing names back and forth if people change their charactername and an old value was still stored in &lt;name&gt;, I reset the old &lt;name&gt; to 0. If you have not started changing your tokens yet I could see if I can add some code to make the old &lt;name&gt; always the same as charactername, which might relieve your issue. I expect turn-around time to be about two weeks as I'll need to add the code when my life allows and then roll20 has a turn-around time of a few days to merge the code. Let me know if that would help and I'll give it a try. More details of changes I made are in the changelog in the settings tab of the sheet. I changed the fieldname where armor is stored too, old information is retained in the old fieldname.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
@brian I added some code to re-populate the old name field with the info from charactername, I hope that restores your macros and tokens I've also fixed a few bugs that came to light and expanded the information that can be tracked in the spell section. The spell section layout was updated to enable the spell text to remain clear with all the extra information added.&nbsp; A pull request was submitted, once merged the fixes and updates will be live:&nbsp; [HarnMaster3] 202109 bugfixes by olafvantol · Pull Request #9518 · Roll20/roll20-character-sheets (github.com) &nbsp;