Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Make Skeletons Fun Again with the Deck of Many Bones! [New Release]

SailorCat
Marketplace Creator
<a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/11632/deck-of-many-bones" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/gameaddon/11632/deck-of-many-bones</a> Damn. Too bad I couldn't add the character voiced video to this post. Ah, well. You can find it on my Twitter here . Anyhow, over the years, I've put together a lot of skeleton- or bone-related mechanics or content for campaigns I've played in or DM'd. So I figured why not polish it up, put it all together, and make a deck out of it, since I've done this with other things in the past. I made the deck to be system-agnostic, but a lot of it was inspired by my time in D&amp;D. Making it system-agnostic while including basic tabletop mechanics was easily the hardest part. The idea I ran with was that a longtime PC/DMPC made this magical item both to indulge in and to share with others her love of skeletons. Then at some point it gained sentience, so she freed it go out into the world to do its own thing. Marketplace description below. The Deck of Many Bones introduces to your campaign new and fun ways to view a fantasy staple. This magical item was crafted to share with the world its creator's enthusiasm for skeletons, so its 60 cards include a wide array of themed items, encounters, boons, spells, and characters. In putting together the Deck, the goal was to focus on more than skeletons as creatures. Some cards draw upon associated themes, such as properties of divination. Others use the skeleton to spin or enhance outside concepts. Some embrace the humble skeleton. You can browse the example cards in the preview image gallery for a better idea. The card distribution loosely amounts to: 10 encounters or characters; 20 boons, abilities, or spells; 30 items. There's some overlap, for example, in items or encounters that grant boons or abilities. No dark energy. Negative outcomes are all well and good—they have a place in most campaigns. However, they just don't suit the agenda of the Deck of Many Bones. But your players don't need to know that. System-Agnostic. The Deck of Many Bones strives for neutral wording and mechanics. If your fantasy system uses numbered dice (such as a d20) and your setting allows for skeletons, it might be supported. Many of Roll20's most popular systems are. Rattle on!
Gold
Forum Champion
Oooo this would've been really fun in my past campaign (the "Glitch" campaign, the lead character had to draw randomized cards/items/events when he had a Glitch occurrance). Looks good, will check it out when I have another game that might use such bones.
SailorCat
Marketplace Creator
Gold said: Oooo this would've been really fun in my past campaign (the "Glitch" campaign, the lead character had to draw randomized cards/items/events when he had a Glitch occurrance). Looks good, will check it out when I have another game that might use such bones. Thanks, gold! That reminds me of my PC -&gt; DMPC that eventually became the goddess of paradox. She often ended up with randomized stuff for a variety of reasons, so much so that it ended up bringing her to that end result re: paradox. One of the boons she could grant players allowed them to periodically change their action immediately after the action has been resolved.