Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Adjustable Global Illumination [Dynamic Lighting]

+1
Similar to several high-up Suggestions, this is a Canvas-related request that has no short term plans.
+1

Edited 1512254811
I'm trying to make global illumination that comes from certain edges of the map for an internal/external dungeon that my players might spend a great deal of time with. My current solution is to line up 400 sources of light along each map edge which will probably kill some of my players' computers, and I still get issues with it. This isn't even a new thing dungeons have been doing - the one I am running is from Grasp of the Emerald Claw from 3.5 Eberron. Smoking CPUs aside, my current solution might work but it is hardly elegant and causes unusual shadows
you could always built the lite into the image using Gimp or some other program then reversing the lighting to block what they cant see.
+1
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Already got my vote, but had a thought for how this should be implemented (whenever the canvas related issues get addressed). This should work similarly to FOW with the ability to define areas of a given illumination. Then you could have bright global illumination for the outside of the town tavern, but dim illumination for the inside of it with it's small windows and weak candle flames.
I'd love this feature as well! A workaround that I found was to, basically, give darkvision to my non-darkvision PC tokens, and extend the range of my darkvision-having PCs by another 60 feet. Normally my elf PCs have "emits light 60 feet, dim light starting at 0 feet". Now I've given that setting to my humans et al, and given my elf PCs "emits light 120 feet, dim light starting at 60 feet". So it basically looks like dim light for everyone without darkvision, and bright light for those with it.
I came here looking for exactly this and after seeing the post was made three years ago, I'm amazed this hasn't been implemented yet. Please add this. Personally, I'd like to have everything "discovered so far" visible to players- similar to fog of war- but kept dim, while bright dynamic lighting is used to show what players currently see. Some of us have toaster-computers, so we can't simply put a million light nodes everywhere.
Jefe
Pro
Compendium Curator
Heh, yeah this suggestion's been around for awhile. Lots of folks have clever workarounds to the issue, but I still feel like I would like to be able to set the global light level without playing with tokens, auras, etc. BTW they did implement  Advanced Fog of War  that does a pretty good job of what you're looking for. I've used it and it worked great for keeping track of a largish dungeon exploration map.
+1
+1
+1
+1 When Devs?
+1
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We're currently supporting the addition of Animations to the VTT and updates to the Advanced Fog of War. There are some other large features for the VTT queued for development, after which this feature will be included with a Dynamic Lighting update. That update is planned for later in 2019, after the those features have been polished.
Great news! Thanks for the update :)
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Code addressing some of the most pressing issues relating to Get a New Look release has been pushed, and we continue to resolve the list of known issues. This enhancement is still expected to be part of a wide range of enhancements to be scheduled after we are more stable with the recent release.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
More enhancements on the Get A New Look update have been developed and are being tested, but we have more work to complete before we start this new set of features for Dynamic Lighting.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
We have rounded the corner with issues with the Get A New Look update, and the  Bring Your Own Beat update is live and receiving minor fixes. We are currently researching and scheduling the next updates, and will have a better idea about when we can tackle this feature in short order.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
As mentioned in another thread , we are developing a version of the Lighting System built on WebGL , which now has enough support to be viable for our supported browsers. This feature will be possible once that implementation is rolled out.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
That's welcome news.  Thanks for the update. Kenton said: As mentioned in another thread , we are developing a version of the Lighting System built on WebGL , which now has enough support to be viable for our supported browsers. This feature will be possible once that implementation is rolled out.
+1
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Dynamic Lighting via WebGL is still in the works, and I will keep you updated as we round that corner. 
+1 from me too cuz I need a global dim light for my campaign, pretty pls

Edited 1581223417
if it's just global dim light you could use a workaround: put an invisible token in the middle of the map, set light to more than mapsize, and dimlightstart at a negative (like -20). the more negativ, the darker your light.
Excited this feature is coming out, the workarounds all fall short of the mark imo.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
A New Light is currently on the Dev Server for Beta Testing , and we are working on the issues found and preparing for full release. Once that feature is available to all subscribers, and in a stable place, we will be able to better gauge a feature to meet the needs outlined in this Suggestion.
Jefe
Pro
Compendium Curator
Neat, thank you.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Thanks Kenton.  Here's hoping for a smooth rollout.
Awesome; I was just searching for exactly this feature! :)
10 long months had past. The Updated Dynamic Lighting is here, but until now we had no announcement about that implementation at all. I'm still hoping that the Roll20 Team hear us and take this thread into consideration.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Francklin S. said: The Updated Dynamic Lighting is here, It may be here, but it is definitely not stable.  There are still bugs with the basic implementation of UDL that need ironed out before they start trying to add features on top.  I'm expecting that there won't be any movement on extra features until after legacy lighting is gone at the very least.
+1
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
This addition has been wireframed, and we're looking for a spot on the roadmap to slot development. Follow along here .
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
A functional version of this feature has been added to the Dev Server. Pro Subscribers, please find more information about Daylight Mode's brightness adjustment here .
+1
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
I love getting my votes back. ;-)
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The Dev server has been updated with all planned features for this release. Please let us know what cool ways you find to use this feature.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Today we released this feature, and it's now available to all Plus and Pro subscribers. More details in the post over here . I'll be closing this post to give your votes back.