Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Grant character sheets access to character avatar

Edited 1419451179
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There are a large number of paper character sheets with space to draw a picture of your character. Roll20 characters have an avatar, but there is no means to include that avatar in the character sheet tab! We can already include the character's name using @{character_name} in an input. In fact, if the input is editable, the player can change the character name and have that change reflected in the journal (an action that was not previously available to players, IIRC.) I propose the addition of something like @{character_avatar} which will contain the URL for the avatar of the character. Importantly, this pseudo-attribute needs to be available outside input values. This would permit a character sheet to include something like: <div class="sheet-avatar" style="background-image: url(@{character_avatar})"></div> div.sheet-avatar { width: 300px; height: 400px; background-size: contain; background-position: center; background-repeat: no-repeat; } That would display the character's avatar as large as possible without any clipping in a 300x400 block, with no repeating and centered along its shorter axis.

Edited 1500992105
Up. This is pretty relevant and I agree
+1  That would be very cool.
Requested a long time ago, but, just came searching for that. +1, good idea.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
It would be cool if the Bio & Info tab could be added as well...Especially since editing that from within the character sheet itself would be so much easier than the current process...
Aetis
Pro
Sheet Author
+1  I need this in my life
Davemania
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I like this idea. There is no reason that the character bio and avatar should not be editable from the character sheet if the sheet utilizes the correct attribute names, the same way it does for character_name.
This really is a must, and should be implemented before the very popular character sheet printing suggestion gets implemented.
Would be cool to see,  +1

Edited 1564072654
Cirnoble
Plus
Sheet Author
Please, even if its not an editable attribute. It think it would help my players get into the character if they saw the portrait alongside with the stats and numbers. +1
+1 !
+1, yes please!
+1, please!
Please do this.
+1 plz :)
Evil Hat Productions
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Gonna jump on the bandwagon here, and add a commerce incentive for Roll20: Adding this feature would increase the potential professional appearance of sheet content sold via the marketplace, increasing overall product value. (I'd certainly use it with character sheets developed by Evil Hat.)    
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
Throwing in a +1. We can source attr_character_name, so it would be incredibly handy to be able to symlink the picture URL from the bio. Even if its just a local soft-link cross referencing whatever variable is the placeholder in the bio's template. The bio image/box gets largely ignored in some of my games, so this would guarantee it was used, and sometimes its easy to mix up and confuse a stack of character sheets when you're DM'ing. Having that image would help differentiate the windows.
+1 SIR, YES SIR !
+1
This would be very helpful and is function that seems very...basic. Additionally, it would be extremely nice if there were some function that would enable us to have character journals open directly to sheets. Sometimes, the bio pages are almost more in the way than helpful.
+1
+1
+1
Dave said: Additionally, it would be extremely nice if there were some function that would enable us to have character journals open directly to sheets. Sometimes, the bio pages are almost more in the way than helpful. Whilst it's not quite what you're looking for, tokens that are linked to character sheets can be ALT+Double-Clicked to open to the Character Sheet tab, and the journal opens to the last opened tab in that session, so that might help you out some. Would be great to have the character avatar available in the character sheets, though! This seems like such a simple and easy fix, so perhaps it's just not caught the attention of the relevant project manager? (Or they use a vote-based priority system for whenever there is space in the backlog for community suggestions, lol)
+1 from me, not sure what the point of a character sheet with a space for a portrait is when you can't really put a portrait there. Are we supposed to create one out of ascii characters?
Love this
+1
Gold
Forum Champion
Wonder if this could be possible with the new Character Sheet updates that Roll20 is working on now? See announcement thread in Pro forum. It doesn't say directly if it will address this, but does say that the changes will help towards some of the Suggestions.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
+1
+1
+1 Would love this.Building a sheet right now for a client and need to rework the entire design to accommodate lack of the image.
Villain in Glasses
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yes, please.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Btw, they've added access to the avatar on mobile char sheets, but it's experimental. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/CSE#Mobile" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/CSE#Mobile</a> Feature [1] you can display a character's Avatar on the mobile view of the sheet, by adding &lt;img name="attr_character_avatar"&gt; to the sheet. The &lt;img&gt; will not be visible when viewed on desktop.
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Any news if/when this might come to desktop sheets?&nbsp;
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Olaf said: Any news if/when this might come to desktop sheets? It's been on the dev server since early this week: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10198129/now-on-dev-server-image-attributes" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10198129/now-on-dev-server-image-attributes</a>
Olaf
Pro
Sheet Author
Cool, thanks for sharing, I missed that post about the dev server
Villain in Glasses
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Fantastic.
Carlos S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator