Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lights & Tokens Spell Pack

I noticed an email from roll20 yesterday pushing Dynamic lighting and mentioning that Pro & Plus subscribers had access to some new assets. Picking a map in one of my games, I checked Dynamic Lighting was enabled for the page, turned off Daylight mode, and set the GM Darkness Opacity to 50% so light/dark shifts were more obvious.Grabbed a random token and put it on the map, gave it vision, and briefly toggled it to have 5ft light, as a sanity check for everything being setup correctly. So far so good. I then dragged out the assets from the "Dynamic Lights & Tokens Spell Pack", and dropped them on the page. To nothing. They don't appear to have any dynamic lighting attributes preconfigured. From the description in the email of 'pre-lit item and spell pack' I was expecting them to be setup from the art asset list. I get that the add-on pack has a sheet with the tokens already on it and configured, I was just expecting something else. -- Would it not be better if art assets stored their attributes? So that when you drag them out they are placed on to the map at their intended size and dynamic lightning settings? I know I could do this via making a character, setting up the token as I want it, saving the token into the sheet. It just seems like it would be cleaner if the assets themselves had a default configuration.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Just because I have used an asset one way in one game (and system) doesn't mean I will use it the same way in another game (and system).  For me, having images in the art library save how they were used last (or whatever) would be more hindrance than help.
Hey Dresdon, the addon will create the lighting objects and spells as tokens within your Journal as well. Those you can drag and drop with the lighting all set up, or you can copy-paste from the Dynamic Lights & Objects Page. So you don't need to add characters and assign them the values (unless you want to!). We wanted to make sure that those that wanted the tokens but wanted to set up their own light for them could do so by having them available via the Art Library as well. Lemme know if this helps!
Kraynic said: Just because I have used an asset one way in one game (and system) doesn't mean I will use it the same way in another game (and system).  For me, having images in the art library save how they were used last (or whatever) would be more hindrance than help. Heya, perhaps for dynamic lighting you are right, and it should be a case by case basis, but I can't really see any reason why having a tunnel asset the artist designed to be 5 units by 7 units emerge from the art asset list at the right size would by a bad thing. I'd save a world of effort in the workflow of building up maps. Literally drag and drop/place, vs drag, drop, resize, place.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Dresdon said: Heya, perhaps for dynamic lighting you are right, and it should be a case by case basis, but I can't really see any reason why having a tunnel asset the artist designed to be 5 units by 7 units emerge from the art asset list at the right size would by a bad thing. I'd save a world of effort in the workflow of building up maps. Literally drag and drop/place, vs drag, drop, resize, place. I'm not sure what the status is on that, but I remember seeing something about that in the last year or so.  I think there was some new info/metadata that artists needed to start including with the intent that eventually marketplace items would drag out at the intended size.  Since a lot of assets are 2-4 times larger than what they intended to be once applied to a map (to allow them to still look good at various zoom levels), the actual image size isn't all that useful to determine how many grid units a graphic covers.  I've no idea how far along in development this feature might be, or whether it will lead to being able to set a grid unit configuration in personally uploaded images instead of just marketplace purchases.