Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New World Rising Character sheets

I have my own Character Sheets for my "New World Rising: Adventure in the Land of the Ginn" system. How do I upload them to my game so that players can use them? Also, how do I upload character generation files? So that my players can roll up a new character at any time? And how or where do I upload to?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Unfortunately, the short answer is that that isn't possible. The long answer is: Character sheet templates are built with HTML, CSS, and javascript. Unfortunately, you can't just upload a PDF and have Roll20 interpret it for you. Additionally, to use custom character sheets, or develop a character sheet you (or someone who is going to test for you) need a pro subscription. The character generation bits might be doable with a custom character sheet, but it's just as likely that they'd need a character mancer for full functionality, which would require a compendium. Unfortunately, custom compendiums are not really possible at the moment. Now, all of that said, there is a sheet request forum thread where you can ask for one of us sheet authors in the community to make a sheet for the system and upload it to the character sheet repository. Some sheet authors create sheets in their free time as volunteers (especially for systems that they play), however making even a simple sheet is a large time commitment so several of us charge for our time.

Edited 1626922690
So is the code to write this character sheet priced out of sight (70 hours to create something that I made in 12 minutes) - specific to types not necessarily race; Winged, Tailed, Thainian, Centaur, Thain-Centaur, Tailed-Winged, Ginn, and Humaniod. Or is your code proprietary so that only direct core employees of ROLL20 can code a sheet in? I learned Bubble basic by coding in it, I know a couple of other forms of basic too. C++ is much easier to write code since it is one line instead of everything under creation and number of lines as in Basic. I don't need to use your roll up generator, My system is not like D&D at all, I need a place on this website where I can upload my character sheets that use NINE base stats, not four as in D&D. Your code would have to be rewritten in such a way as to allow different parameters to be added, then compiled to allow for generation through my system. I have already written the code in Bubble-Basic for character random rollup as well as adjustments (if a character has advanced quickly in time without actually living through it - usually from complex magic spells involving college courses* within my game are colleges that teach new ways to cast the same magic for different effects or more range (such as in teleportation to a specific place in the galaxy)) to each stat is computed through my generation table, which no one on Earth has a copy of except me: the sole creator of this game.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Building_Character_Sheets" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Building_Character_Sheets</a>
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
mericus said: Or is your code proprietary so that only direct core employees of ROLL20 can code a sheet in? Just a clarification: everyone responding to you is a fellow forum member, not an official representative of roll20. Reps and devs do post on the boards sometimes, but have an icon next to their name to show their status.
Excellent Thank you. :D So after I build all of these do I get hired by ya'll?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Also, if you just want the character sheets for reference, you can paste the text into the Bio tab of a character journal. If you want to call attribute scores in macros and such, you can use the attributes and abilities tab. If you want a graphical character sheet that fully interacts with the Roll20 app, that's the part that takes time, effort, and expertise. There are lots of folks who have made their own sheets, and if you have coding skills as you indicate, I'm sure it's something you could learn.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
mericus said: Excellent Thank you. :D So after I build all of these do I get hired by ya'll? Not by us. We're just other users. ;)
Since we are all here: concerning artwork is everything drawn from a head view? Looking down onto a map grid. I am an artist too.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
mericus said: Excellent Thank you. :D So after I build all of these do I get hired by ya'll? That comment confuses me, especially since it directly follows my post in which I stated we are all community members here, not the roll20 devs. mericus said: Since we are all here: concerning artwork is everything drawn from a head view? Looking down onto a map grid. I am an artist too. You can draw your tokens topdown, or any way you want. See the wiki (link posted by Andreas earlier) and search for Tokens. Also, I'd recommend creating a new "Campaign" and jumping in to have a play around.
Where do I find a program to accept the code? in HTML, CSS? I think I can use Unity's javascript program. But it seems everything is written for API scripts in CSS.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Look up at the link in Kraynic's post earlier, I think it explains everything. Unity is not the way to go at all. You will probably be writing your code in a text editor, one that understands html, CSS, and javascript. SublimeText and Visual Studio Code are popular choices. You can write the code directly in roll20, if you are a Pro subscriber, and create a new campaign, and choose Custom Character sheet. But its better to work in those text programs, and use roll20's Sandbox (again, you need to be a Pro subscriber).
I'll have to wait a month, I don't have a hundred and nine yet.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
mericus said: I'll have to wait a month, I don't have a hundred and nine yet. You can subscribe month by month instead of a year at a time.&nbsp; It is cheaper in the long run to do the annual if you expect to use the subscription that long, but you don't have to commit to all that time at once.

Edited 1627211147
David
Sheet Author
mericus said: Where do I find a program to accept the code? in HTML, CSS? I think I can use Unity's javascript program. But it seems everything is written for API scripts in CSS. Kraynic supplied a link to the documentation. If you read that ,&nbsp; you shouldn't have a problems since you are&nbsp; an expert&nbsp; in C++ and bubble basic,&nbsp;all you need to get started is a text editor and all testing can be done in a custom sheet or a sandbox.
Well thank you for commenting, every little bit helps, but I am not an expert per se. I know how to write some syntax but not everything. I understand how C++ is written but have never coded in C. I am a good artist (graphic designer) and writer (SF &amp; Fantasy novellas) I wrote a couple of plays (3 acts) and part of a screenplay (movie lost production capital and it ended before it got very far. It was a takeoff on the only Twightzone episode&nbsp;that was not attached to a royalty or copyright; the one with the men from mars and from venus at a bus stop in the snow on earth). I suspect I will have to learn how to code using Roll20's program and from the exterior, it looks difficult, I am not sure where I would place formulas or data in the game engine code. data was all one place when I did the bubble basic coding, I did all the formulas and arrays beforehand then added the data that had to be put in by hand (between commas) and could not be run until completed, (no quick trials to see what I wrote came out to what I wanted I had to figure out where and what the problem was and could only print out my code the screen was not big enough to depict all the code so ...). The first thing I learned was the Timex Sinclair basic, a proprietary basic that is only for Timex Sinclair laptops. It does not work on anything else.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
mericus said: I suspect I will have to learn how to code using Roll20's program and from the exterior, it looks difficult, I am not sure where I would place formulas or data in the game engine code. Dice roll formulas in Roll20: Complete Guide to Macros &amp; Rolls If you start making more complicated roll formulas, you'd use javascript to construct them in sheetworkers . Storing User Data in character sheets. Just go to the documentation we have linked to repetedly, and start reading. Looking at existing sheet code can also make it much easier to get a general idea of sheets are put together.

Edited 1627248621
Okay, thank you all so much. It does seem that your website's program combines how&nbsp;I constructed my game through one location that combines the multiple ways characters improve in my game. &nbsp;Percentage of 100's is paramount, my game has no ceiling, you don't have an end like in other games (not everybody will lose preordained which is the whole point of Ten Candles TM, or really all original D&amp;D TM games). &nbsp;This should make my magical race rolls more expedient since their stats are based upon totally different factors than the nonmagical races: Ginn, Llyrrdaethracean, Verdalak, Gywaehellean, Aerllyll, and both Megasatyr and Grey Satyr are magic created races. Kevastant is crystalline so though magical, they are not a magically created race. I created NPC races then later decided some players might want to play one of these beings, so I put them through the same curve I created all the other races upon so that that was possible. My overall baseline is to keep the play of my game as simple and free as possible doing all the hard work in character generation. This should make combat more interesting, the baseline choices of what you want to try should be interesting to code in. In my game even starting out if you have the percentage, you can make six attacks in three seconds with full damage per success. or split to three attacks three parries, or less for a better chance of success, including all parries If the opponent did not match you for attack versus parries they might parry a parry that is not an attack so that YOUR attack will be a free hit. (The first echelon is limited to three actions in a combat round, an extra move is allowed if you are both an Order member and a Sub-Order klan affiliation) otherwise, you need to wait until you learn either a KATA (8 actions per three second round that are composed of bypassing the normal echelon rule for characters) as in any martial art in real life, or go up in yearly advancement echelon where your base stats change upwards as you progress. Other games take away from basic stats but nothing I've seen in playing other games has stat advancement that is permanent. For instance, I don't know how to code in your system yet, but eventually, I will - this will give me personally an advance in my INT, FOR, and SPI stats in real life! In my combat mechanics, everyone has some total defense even slow giants, you subtract that before making your attack. I use the percentile system for everything, this allows a d20 to be extrapolated five X. One thing I thought of I wonder how I would place other combats, there is one I devised for magicians and large vehicle combat like battleships or a tank. And eventually, spacecraft since my game allows it.&nbsp; Would this also be in the character sheet creation? Would the character sheet be too heavy to work if I plugged all that code in for potential, on an IF basis, of what the character was going to attempt to become? Or should I create a separate vehicle sheet for these larger combat situations? I DO have a sheet for spells I suppose this would be needed by each character as well plus would alleviate the requirement to know the myriad things I look at as a ref and storyteller in ref ing combat. Depending on mounted say for cavalry combat is the topography you are on versus what kind of mount you are on or in. as well as weather. pluses and ignoring certain areas as if they were on flat grass and no inclines are enjoyed by Members of the Guild of the Hammer. I suppose a lot of the heavy code could be placed in subheadings because though you can join two guilds instead of guild/order like most characters, you can't be three guilds. So a subcategory in the character sheets would be dependant upon what guild and order or dual guilds the character joined.&nbsp;
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Uh, start with the basics and circle back with the larger, advanced stuff later?
Okay. I tend to brainstorm a lot. :)