Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Direct editing (non-WYSIWYG) option for Markdown in Handouts

Score + 55
Support Class
Marketplace Creator
The current text editor for handouts has been driving me batty -- I can't see where the markdown tags are located, if I make multiple edits in the same general place, it's becoming obvious that whatever formatting process Roll20 has during the saving process is trying to 'clean up' overlapping or redundant tags, but makes a mess of it and results in a garbled final product. A button that lets me look at the markdown code driving the WYSIWYG would be a massive help, because then I wouldn't have to worry about the editor trying to make sense of my content - I could just proof it myself. 
Yes, this.
Oh, yes, please.
Considering how often bullet nesting breaks horribly in the WYSIWYG editor, I'd love to be able to switch back and forth to Markdown vs. WYSIWYG.
I would like this more than gravy on roast beef
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I was going to post this very thing.
This is a big deal everywhere, in macros, on handouts, Bio information on Character sheets. It's super frustrating that I have to save all my macros in a notepad.txt file somewhere on my computer to be able to edit them later.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yes, please! Markdown is so much easier to deal with than the broken mess that is the current editor, easily shareable, doesn't break when you try to copy and paste stuff...
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The WYSIWG editor is also frustrating when special characters hidden away in its HTML cause problems for scripts that need to read fields like GM notes. A plain-text editor would be lovely!
I find the WYSIWYG editor okay for most tasks, but if I'm trying to do anything particularly formatted (like something with extensive tables or some such, or lots of bulleted lists) it does get hard...so I agree, yeah. It'd be nice to be able to directly edit code if desired, to get finer control over things.
This Yes Please!
Same.
Limithron
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Please! I really need markdown in the handout editor...
Three-year-old thread. It would be super, but don't hold your breath.
The fact that this is still not a thing after so long is insane. So many times there is something just completely being messed up somewhere, and I can't fix it, cause of not being able to clean up the markdown myself
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That would really be nice to have.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I’ve already voted in favour of this, but I’d like to speak in favour of universal Markdown in all text fields, tooltip, forum, journal, etc., 
Please, support markdown. It would be so much easier to write handouts.
It's been 5 years and we still can't even get Notes formatting with Markdown. Roll20 is quickly becoming outdated and will lose out to modern VTTs that implement simple quality-of-life standards. 
I just want this so I can insert a table between a horizontal rule and another table that doesn't have a safety newline.
Support Class
Marketplace Creator
(comes back 6 years later) Wait, this STILL isn't a thing?
I was just thinking about this as I was reading the Roll20 Ask Me Anything post and all the new features being discussed there, and wondering "why no love for handouts?".  We really need a way to more creatively format handouts, and markdown seems like the obvious way to do this.  Since they suggested adding ideas in this forum, I came here to do that, and found that I'd missed this one, so I've added my vote.  Here's my two cents on what I'd like to see. There is basic markdown support in chat , for bolding and italics, but what I'd want is something more along the lines of the support provided via the Mod (API script) available for Pro users ( markdown.js ) that lets you use markdown with CSS-based styling, and add background graphics, inline images, and other things.  It's fairly buggy though (very sensitive to line endings and invisible characters) and steals the GM Notes section, so it's harder to have hidden non-player info. Doing this as part of the VTT system would be cleaner. What I'd like to see in an improved "text block" system for handouts and other uses: As per the original post, a default WYSIWYG editor with the ability to edit the results as markdown A complex markdown syntax (along the lines of this summary ) that supports the current features of handout formatting To @Ada L.'s point, a way to see (and delete) embedded non-printing characters (maybe as unicode) that can mess up text As @Andrew R. said, make it universal (all text fields, not just handouts) HTML support for things like <br>, <hr> etc to permit additional styling (some way for inline CSS or similar methods to call out colors, fonts, etc would be important) Being able to paste in markdown created elsewhere (in a more highly-featured editor than the game can support, for example) Being able to save a handout (or a folder of handouts) into a markdown text file (or folder of such) Support for background graphics, inline graphics, etc (including graphics in text, so you can mimic an illuminated manuscript with art in place of a letter) - this should include putting graphics inside a table, for example, and applying formats like "left side of page", "centered", etc