Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Filenames lose capitalization when uploaded to library

Edited 1627083504
When I import an image, the capitalization vanishes from its filename.  Its filename is "Samurai Token.jpg" on my computer, but in my library in Roll20 it is "samurai token.jpg".  Obviously I can rename it, but having to change it for every single image I upload is annoying. I also feel like including the filename extension is probably also undesired behavior, since the Roll20 library doesn't treat different image formats differently in any way.  It's basically just spam that causes image names to be longer, and thus more likely to run off the edge of the frame.  None of the free or premium images included with Roll20 have filename extensions at the end, which suggests to me that Roll20 thinks filename extensions have no value in the library, and should be omitted.  So it should probably just be named "Samurai Token" in my library, without the .jpg at the end.  At the very least, it should be consistent across the two - if images uploaded to my library have filename extensions, then everything in the premium assets should to. This is arguably maybe not a bug, but I feel like it's somewhere on the line between a bug report and a suggestion, and it'd be very easy to fix.
As someone who has learned to live with this annoyance in uploading 1400 card images for my sessions, I would very much not want this to be fixed as I have over a thousand images for cards setup with all lowercase syntax with the dealer api now.  Its just something we have to live with sadly.  The reason why this effects cards is cause the mass uploader for the card system uses the name of the file by default.  

Edited 1627083098
I don't think "one user figured out how to work around the bug" is a good reason to avoid fixing the bug.  It's definitely not something that hundreds of thousands of people should have to live with just because you personally would feel like your prior work in fixing it just for yourself was wasted.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My guess is that the naming conventions are part of a sanitization process to keep names as simple as possible. All graphics go through a process after uploading to re-save them at multiple resolutions for purposes of performance efficiency, so that you are not serving more pixels than are necessary. This is pretty much the system used by Google maps tiles, for instance. I am curious, since it has never even occurred to me that this was a problem, what is lost by removing capitals?
Readability mostly. If I'm scrolling through a folder of 50+ images in my library, to add a creature or spell effect to the map during a game, I want to find the ones I'm looking for as fast as possible so as to avoid delaying the game.  I don't necessarily remember what they're called, especially if it's been a year or more since I uploaded them, so I'm reading through all my tokens' names in a particular folder of my library to find the right ones.  Thus, any time I'm setting up a battle map with a bunch of enemies, having everything capitalized correctly cuts off about a minute of time that the players otherwise just have to sit and wait in silence for me to finish.  Any time a player or monster casts a spell and I want to lay down a spell effect graphic on the map, it might save me 5 or 10 seconds if I can read them faster. The filename extensions are probably the more annoying problem of the two, since in addition to affecting readability, they also make the file names take up more space.   They're far more likely to extend off the right edge of the screen and get cut off, making me expand the right frame so I can see everything.  And keep in mind that every time you open Roll20 it resets the right frame's width back to the smallest possible width. Neither of these problems are a huge deal or anything, but it seems like they'd be easy to fix.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I suspect that part of this is due to play style. I don't think I ever access the art library during a game. Token art and spell art are already assigned to in-game elements. Does it help any to use the search functions?
keithcurtis said: My guess is that the naming conventions are part of a sanitization process to keep names as simple as possible. All graphics go through a process after uploading to re-save them at multiple resolutions for purposes of performance efficiency, so that you are not serving more pixels than are necessary. This is pretty much the system used by Google maps tiles, for instance. I am curious, since it has never even occurred to me that this was a problem, what is lost by removing capitals? When I was dealing with it, the all lowercase goes away from my naming scheme of capitalizing every first letter of words, so for the purposes of using your very awesome Dealer API, I had to settle for every command for specific cards using all lowercase while everything else in my macro sets having the capitalization scheme.  Also the mass uploader for cards literally uses the filename when uploading so its far more annoying there whereas every other upload method you can hide its filename away.  

Edited 1627260114
keithcurtis said: I suspect that part of this is due to play style.  Does it help any to use the search functions? Maybe, though I'd still appreciate the bug being fixed. The library search function is bad for other reasons, since it doesn't tell you what folder any of the results are in, and finds a lot of false positives.  Searching for "orc" and finding "faceless enforcer.jpg" isn't the most helpful result.  Though maybe it's better than the alternative, which is that "orcish warrior" wouldn't be included in the results.  Fuzzy matching would be appreciated, with the option to use quote marks to search for exact strings, but that deserves its own suggestion thread. Also, apparently, as an unrelated bug, which probably *also* deserves its own thread, I just learned that if you rename an item in your library, the search results still display the original filename and not what you renamed it to.  For example, I have a spell graphic that I renamed to "Force Field" in my library, but the original filename was "warp field.png" and that's what it is listed as in the search results when I search for "orc".