Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question about changing Pixel size of squares

Currently each square on the grid is 70x70 pixels. There seems to be an awkward way to change this on a map by map bases.  I would personally like to know if there is a way to change it so in my games its always 48x48 pixel squares. So it defaults and across the board uses that resolution.  
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
In the game settings page for the game (accessible through the splash screen), you can change the page defaults.

Edited 1627263221
That works for the grid, though the page size still uses (X) x 70px for its measurements..which means the square size for the page, and the Square size for the grid mis matches. You can math it out to convert the page size...so its not perfect.  Like I would to also make the default square also be 48 instead of 70, not just the grid. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Lets approach this another way, since there may be cross-purpose talk going on. Why are you trying to change the grid to 48 pixels? Pixels per grid unit is only going to match under very specific circumstances: An image saved at 70 pixels per intended grid size, viewed at 100%.
The program I make maps in is already tile based and the tiles are 48x48.  This causes some odd quality issues due to scaling depending on zoom levels. I would prefer having everything match up at a native 48x48 per tile to match the images I use that are 48x48 pixels per square. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you set the map size to 48 pixels per grid and stay at 100% zoom, do things look OK? There are always going to be compromises on a system that allows users to zoom in and out of a graphic, and the graphic you upload is not really the graphic you see. Roll20 converts every uploaded graphic into 4 different sizes, for efficient display at varying zoom levels (similar to how Google Maps displays tiles at different zoom levels). There are some ways you can mitigate this. Does your map mapping program export as jpg, png or gif? The last of these has some serious limitations for re-sizing and zooming. You could see if you get better display by converting before uploading. If your map is designed to emulate 8bit graphics, you may be out of luck. Those are designed for single resolution, and no zooming. You will have quality issues in that case. Finally, can you upload a screenshot showing the quality issues? And for those who might be familiar with it, what map making program are you using? Again, there may be users with specific experience and workflows who can lend a hand.
Yeah I am going for a 16bit aesthetic. I've been running it for like 2 years, so its not terrible. I was just wondering if there was a way to optimize it a bit better, so that everything is working together at the same native resolutions. I'll use PNG and JPGs for my maps. Basically since its converting 48 px to 70 it gets a little blurring.  Setting the grid at 48, and manually calculating the canvas/image size does  work much better, but is cumbersome.  If its not doable I can continue as things are, it still looks good enough. It just could look better. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, to achieve that specific effect probably requires more prep. Once you have a page set up the way you like it, you could just duplicate it and use that as a template for future pages. Might be less hassle.