Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Whispers characters to characters not appearing to gm

Hi all, My gm has an issue with Characters to characters whispers. He doesn't see them, even if he puts himself as controlling the character. Tried many options. Using the whisp api, using /w in the chat window with or without the auto complete, and still, the gm don't see the whispers fom one character to another character. Is there something we're missing there ? I thought the gm could see all teh whispers from characters (not players) to characters...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
He should see a character (/w character name) whisper if he is a controller, though not a player whisper (/w player name). Player to player whispers are not seen by the gm.
Thank you for your answer. Yes i'm aware of all that. That's why I ask if there's something wrong somewhere as it doesn't occur that way in our games...

Edited 1628015449
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Sorry, you said "still, the gm don't see the whispers fom one character to another character." This is the normal behavior. You should see them if you are a controlling player, which is one of the options you mentioned in the first paragraph. Can you give step-by-step reproduction steps to see if someone can duplicate the issue or see where you might be missing something? It might be hard to do, since it is the GM and not you who is having the issue. You might want to encourage them to post. Screen shots of the control settings and the chat commands being issued might be helpful. I am suspecting that it is almost certainly a procedural error, since the board is not flooded with similar reports.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
If you want the GM to hear P2P whispers, you guys could use a macro like this: /w "@{target|token_name}" ?{What|} /w gm **[To:"@{target|token_name}"]** ?{What|} Downside is that it would double-spam the whispering player's chat, though, so YMMV :/ Another option might be to have the GM log in with a dummy account in a second browser window, add control of all player tokens to that dummy player, and turn the volume up so they hear the chat bleep. Then they can just alt-tab as needed to pop over and see all the secrets.