Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Technical issue ?] Light barrier on a token

HI all, Is there a way to add a light barrier (blocking sight then) to an object or token ? For example, a spellcater uses wall of fire. Characters shouldn't see through it. Is there a way to add a dynamic lighting barrier on the default token ? or do the gm has to go on the DL layer and add a line along the spell area of effect ? silly question but might make people think about it... :) Thanks in advance for at least think about it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It would need to be added manually, though it could be automated with an API script.
Is there an existing script doing it ? something like pairing a token and a barrier as a default token ?

Edited 1628016833
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
I'm not aware of a script that ties custom-shaped DL barriers to a token. I *do* have a simple script that creates a circular DL shape based on the dimensions of a token (used for the darkness spell or obscuring spheres like cloudkill). UDL Disclaimer: Note that if you decide you like the interior grid option and you use UDL, that part doesn't work currently. There is a bug in the UDL implementation that doesn't allow for complex paths. LDL is fine, and UDL if you only use the perimeter circle is fine. The following example shows the DLDarkness script in conjunction with the SpawnDefaultToken script for a 5e cloudkill. Click for animation:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Nothing that comes to mind. There are some similar things. I know there is a darkness script that causes DL lines to follow a token, butnothing that will do that off the shelf that I can think of.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
David M beat me to the punch with a much better answer. Serves me right for answering on an hour-old tab without refreshing first.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
haha, I do it all the time! :)