Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Troubles with Dynamic Lightning

Edited 1628261615
Today I started to check Dynamic Lightning tools (better late than never, huh), I've read guides, watched videos and I started from a simple cave map. After drawing the lines in Lightning Layer, I realized that the token was seeing through the darkness of the cave as if he had a source of light, which he didn't. [first image is as DM, second one as player]   The settings are the following: GAME SETTINGS Fog of War: not enabled PAGE SETTINGS Dynamic Lightning: On All the rest: Off TOKEN SETTINGS Vision: On All the rest: Off What am I doing wrong?
I think you don't have a daytime activated That the token does not have any light. And sometimes it fumes and if you enter as a player you see it well, but as a master you see other light, I don't know why it happens but it happens.
Marian said: I think you don't have a daytime activated Indeed I do not want Daylight activated but rather the opposite, total pitch black darkness inside the cave...

Edited 1628265306
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi frons79, Can't tell from the screen shots, but are you testing with Ctrl-L or a  Dummy Account ? Only the latter is trustworthy for checking a DL setup.

Edited 1628267207
keithcurtis said: Hi frons79, Can't tell from the screen shots, but are you testing with Ctrl-L or a  Dummy Account ? Only the latter is trustworthy for checking a DL setup. Ops... CTRL+L... Anyway I have checked re-entering as Player and it's the same, litterally as if the token had Nightvision. I also tried to make it emit a yellowish light, to see the difference: The yellow light (let's say, a torch) works as it's supposed to, but there is still a visible area outside the yellow area that shouldn't be (at the sides of those blue dashed area) and that goes on towards the whole map, until there is some wall that blocks it. And as I move the token, the visible area moves with it. How weird!
frons79 said: Ops... CTRL+L... Anyway I have checked re-entering as Player and it's the same, litterally as if the token had Nightvision. I also tried to make it emit a yellowish light, to see the difference: The yellow light (let's say, a torch) works as it's supposed to, but there is still a visible area outside the yellow area that shouldn't be (at the sides of those blue dashed area) and that goes on towards the whole map, until there is some wall that blocks it. And as I move the token, the visible area moves with it. How weird! I would still suggest using a Dummy Account, as there have been instances of strange behavior when using the 'Rejoin as Player' function as GM. But assuming the view you are showing is the same as a player's view, you would need to post a screenshot of the token settings for DL as well as the page settings for DL for us to potentially diagnose any setting issues.  Here's a checklist for Dynamic Lighting / vision settings: Make sure you are using Chrome or Firefox. Make sure you are set to only use either Updated Dynamic Lighting  or  Legacy Dynamic Lighting, not both. Token must have vision enabled. Token must be 'controlled' by the player who is checking vision. You should use a ' dummy account ' in order to see changes live/instantaneously when you make them as GM. There are other benefits as well (streaming, testing macros and other tricks, resetting the game URL). There needs to be a light source. Tokens always emit light from the center of the token -- in LDL it comes from a small point in the center of the image, and in UDL it comes from a circle that is some small percentage of the image size -- so if you set the map image as a light source, you'll get some funky behavior. Token and light source need to be on the correct layers. Make sure you don't have a Fog of War/Permanent Darkness layer on. Make sure you don't have Advanced Fog of War/Explorable Darkness blocking vision. Page 'Cell Width' settings can have an affect on a token's vision, especially if the 'light multiplier' is set to something other than 100%. Switch the Cell Width to '1' and see what happens. Check random other page settings, such as 'Restrict Movement'  Also make sure when you are checking page or token settings that you are checking the correct token/page, as it can be easy to click on the wrong page when checking settings if you're not being careful.   Or if you'd like to invite me to your game I could take a look and see if I can figure out what is going on.

Edited 1628271226
Jarren K. said: frons79 said: Ops... CTRL+L... Anyway I have checked re-entering as Player and it's the same, litterally as if the token had Nightvision. I also tried to make it emit a yellowish light, to see the difference: The yellow light (let's say, a torch) works as it's supposed to, but there is still a visible area outside the yellow area that shouldn't be (at the sides of those blue dashed area) and that goes on towards the whole map, until there is some wall that blocks it. And as I move the token, the visible area moves with it. How weird! I would still suggest using a Dummy Account, as there have been instances of strange behavior when using the 'Rejoin as Player' function as GM. But assuming the view you are showing is the same as a player's view, you would need to post a screenshot of the token settings for DL as well as the page settings for DL for us to potentially diagnose any setting issues.  GAME SETTINGS Fog of War:  not  enabled PAGE SETTINGS Dynamic Lightning:  On All the rest: Off TOKEN SETTINGS Vision:  On All the rest: Off .
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi frons79, Just a heads up that you might want to edit your post. Game links should always be sent privately. Posting them publicly means that anyone could enter your game, vandalize it and leave, without a trace.
keithcurtis said: Hi frons79, Just a heads up that you might want to edit your post. Game links should always be sent privately. Posting them publicly means that anyone could enter your game, vandalize it and leave, without a trace. Thanks, you're more than right
frons79 said: keithcurtis said: Hi frons79, Just a heads up that you might want to edit your post. Game links should always be sent privately. Posting them publicly means that anyone could enter your game, vandalize it and leave, without a trace. Thanks, you're more than right If you'd like me to take a look go ahead and send me a private message with the game link. After I join you'll need to promote me to GM to be able to see all your settings.
Jarren K. said: Here's a checklist for Dynamic Lighting / vision settings: 5. There needs to be a light source.     1.  Tokens always emit light from the center of the token -- in LDL it comes from a small point in the center of the image, and in UDL it comes from a circle that is some small percentage of the image size -- so if you set the map image as a light source, you'll get some funky behavior. Your map image/token was set with light on, which means that the character token you had placed with vision turned on would be able to see the light emitting from the map. I turned off the map light and now the token does not see anything.
Jarren K. said: Jarren K. said: Here's a checklist for Dynamic Lighting / vision settings: 5. There needs to be a light source.     1.  Tokens always emit light from the center of the token -- in LDL it comes from a small point in the center of the image, and in UDL it comes from a circle that is some small percentage of the image size -- so if you set the map image as a light source, you'll get some funky behavior. Your map image/token was set with light on , which means that the character token you had placed with vision turned on would be able to see the light emitting from the map. I turned off the map light and now the token does not see anything. Jarren K. thanks a lot for your time and effort in solving this issue of mine, but honestly I didn't get where the mistake was, specifically where did you turn the map light off? 
If you go to the map layer, and click on the map image (which is a token as well -- all images are) and open up its token settings, it was set to emit light.

Edited 1628292039
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There is no difference to the app if a graphic is intended to be a token or a map. Any image can be set to have vision or emit light. Sniped by Jarren! That looks to be 5.1 on the checklist.
In your very first image, the token very clearly has nothing set to its bars.  That is a tell-tale sign of a no default token setup situation.  Did you modify THAT token's settings or modify the default token elsewhere and that is an old token?
Jarren K. said: If you go to the map layer, and click on the map image (which is a token as well -- all images are ) and open up its token settings, it was set to emit light. Now that is something I totally could have never taken into consideration! DM Eddie  said: In your very first image, the token very clearly has nothing set to its bars .  That is a tell-tale sign of a no default token setup situation.  Did you modify THAT token's settings or modify the default token elsewhere and that is an old token? No, it was simply a token associated to no character sheet. Anyway, thanks to everybody that contributed to help me, I've really appreciated it :-)