Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting Keyboard Shortcut doesn't work because it is the same as shortcut for Settings for Chrome Browser

Hi there, May I ask for some help please? If I'm not mistaken, the keyboard shortcut to switch to the dynamic lighting layer is the same as the keyboard shortcut for settings in Google Chrome on Macintosh.&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Shortcuts" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Advanced_Shortcuts</a> Is there a work around for this please? I'd really like to be able to switch layers elegantly and quickly instead of having an awkward fumble every time players want to open a door. A few searches did not turn up any way to change default keyboard shortcuts in Chrome. Can shortcuts in Roll20 be changed? Roll20, can you fix this please? Would you please either change the shortcut? Or maybe, if you don't want to inconvenience people who are already used to this existing shortcut, would you please consider adding a redundant short? Maybe Command+Shift+Comma could also&nbsp;switch to the Dynamic Lighting layer, the same as Command+Comma. Doesn't matter what it is. Just want something that works in Mac Chrome.&nbsp; Thank you.
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Just in case it's a simple overlook issue: do you have the "Use advanced keyboard shortcuts" option enabled in your VTT settings tab? Other than this, I don't have a Mac so that's all I can really offer.
I do have Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts turned on. Thank you for the suggestion.&nbsp; Further exploration has revealed with Advanced Keyboard Shortcuts turned on, the unmodified [Comma]&nbsp;key switches to the Dynamic Lighting layer. The wiki documentation I was consulting is out of date. This is the current documentation.&nbsp; <a href="https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360039178974-Advanced-Keyboard-Shortcuts" rel="nofollow">https://help.roll20.net/hc/en-us/articles/360039178974-Advanced-Keyboard-Shortcuts</a> It is a bit confusing because Command+M, Command+K, and Command+O all continue to work for switching layers with advanced shortcuts on. But so do, M, K and O. For the lighting layer, only [Comma] works because of the conflict with the Chrome settings shortcut, Command+Comma. It's further confusing because the documentation uses the word Command to refer to keyboard shortcuts. But Command is also the name of a modifier key on the Mac keyboard. So it's easy to misunderstand what this shortcut list is trying to convey. I would be helpful if the word "Command" on this page were changed to "Actions" so there isn't confusion with the other meaning for the word Command in the context of keyboard shortcuts.&nbsp;
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
Ah yes, sorry that I missed what keyboard combo you were trying. Glad you got it sorted!
I did get it sorted. But the conflict between the lighting layer keyboard shortcut and the Macintosh Chrome Browsers Settings keyboard shortcut remains. Could this perhaps be address in the future please? It is a low-priority bug. But it caused a lot of frustration and wasted time.&nbsp; Also, it would be super helpful if the Dynamic lighting layer was added as an option to the right-click move menu:
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Possible workaround: Maybe try a browser extension for Chrome like&nbsp; AutoControl: Custom shortcuts, Mouse gestures &nbsp;might work?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Thruster said: I did get it sorted. But the conflict between the lighting layer keyboard shortcut and the Macintosh Chrome Browsers Settings keyboard shortcut remains. The same behavior exists on Firefox for Mac, as well, but it's not a conflict or a bug. There is no standard shortcut (requiring Cmd, Ctrl or anything) to switch to the lighting layer Layers Command Shortcut Switch to token layer Ctrl/Cmd+O Switch to GM layer Ctrl/Cmd+K Switch to map layer Ctrl/Cmd+M Move selected object to token layer Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+O Move selected object to GM layer Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+K Move selected object to map layer Ctrl/Cmd+Shift+M That exists only in advanced keyboard shortcuts, which require no modifier key at all. They both work as advertised, Chrome or Firefox, on Mac. Tools Command Shortcut Switch to Map layer m Switch to Tokens layer o Switch to GM layer k Switch to Dynamic Lighting layer , Move selected object(s) to Map layer l m Move selected object(s) to Tokens layer l o Move selected object(s) to GM layer l k Move selected object(s) to Dynamic Lighting layer l , I can see how the word "Command" in the header might be slightly misleading, but it's written in a very straightforward manner These advanced shortcuts are simple keystrokes, and for the most part do not use modifier keys such as Ctrl or Alt.&nbsp; I've been using Macs pretty much since Macs first came on the market, and I had no confusion on this point. On the advanced keyboard shortcuts&nbsp;page, they are listed as standalone keys( ex: "m"), with the explanation quoted above. On the standard keyboard shortcuts, they are shown with the appropriate symbols, (ex. "Ctrl/Cmd+M"). There's no discrepancy I can find. On the other hand, I do agree that there should be a non-advanced keyboard command for the Lighting Layer, and that the Lighting Layer should be an option in the right click Layer submenu. That is a feature that should be added and if there is not already a suggestion for that, I would be surprised. I'd vote for it.
Hi Keith, Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I appreciate you helping. For the benefit of anyone reading this later, a few thoughts. 1) I did find a workaround. Enable advanced shortcuts and use the unmodified comma key. 2) The word "Command" has a special, universal, operating system level meaning on Macintosh. I know this seems like a petty nit pick, but it would be super helpful if the word "Command" on the help document were changed to "Action". Because to Mac users this looks like a list of Command keys. And it's not. I wasted a lot of time on that.&nbsp; I would be like if instructions for a PC app said, "Start" but didn't mean the Start Menu. The word "Start" is reserved on Windows. The word "Command" is reserved on Mac. It's needlessly confusing. Dear Roll20 Gods, please change it. Thanks. 3) Yes please, better options for moving objects to and from the lighting layer. I create indented door lighting so my players can clearly see when the doors are. So being able to move them to and from the GM layer is needed so I don't have to recreate them to open and close doors. (It can be done with the advanced keyboard shortcuts L and the K, but boy oh boy is that obscure.)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you are looking for an easier way to handle doors, I would enthusiastically suggest the Door Knocker API script.