Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP][D&D][5e]{free]OLD School DM looking for a few players to join long term Campaign - Malazan BotF influenced world - We embrace homebrew and 3 pillars of RP

Edited 1628970336
Let's start this off with the simple rules: 1) must be 18+ years old, 2) There is NO discrimination, diversity is awesome, 3) this is a Fantasy game so NO real world politics or religious discussions, 4) This is about roleplaying and teamwork and having fun. 5) We help each other not belittle one another. 6) If you intend to 'what they call' power-game or have designs on monopolizing control of the game please don't apply. 7) Bigotry is FORBIDDEN.  Problem players will be asked to leave or be kicked.   We are starting a new campaign at 1st level and in my campaigns forget normal constraints you get to build your character the way you want more than ever before. You have to see to believe. . I need serious players, people who are willing to commit to a long term campaign. Either those who take notes or who can remember from one meeting to the next what is happening and what they hope will happen next. I need investment. We have a good and pretty active discord for a singular D&D group. All core players are helpful and good people. We like creativity and input when we are brainstorming. We embrace that the rules are guidelines and that players should get to play the character the way they see it with in reason.  I don't like rules lawyers so stop reading if that is you. If you are looking for a RAW or RAI DM turn back now I am RFP rules for players DM. Also play your character don't spend time worrying about what someone else can or cannot do. It's about you making the character you want and playing it. Also I only want team players and grown ups. I run all 3 pillars Exploration, Social interaction, and Combat. I want Roleplayers. I do not expect special voices or acting backgrounds just that you are here to roleplay a fantasy game with a group of like minded individuals to disappear from the real world for a little while each week. And I will do my best to give you the experience you are after.   Communication: Discord. If after reading everything you are serious and you leave a post I will send an invite to a new recruit server called K'ruls Tavern for those postings that catch my eye and I will get in touch with you after that. If you are invited please be kind to one another while on server. .That should go without saying. I am marking server channels NSFW so you have to confirm you are an adult so after that what happens is on you. And read the rules.   Ok now that's done, I'm hoping to find 2-6 full time players and possibly 1 or 2 caravan players for a long term Campaign. We play on Saturdays 6pm CST. I am considering running a second group but that's not set in stone yet..    A little about me. I'm Old School of course, I started as a player in 1980. Started DM'ing a few years later. Took a little over a decade break due to life, children grandchildren.  The best reasons. I have ran many campaigns and once I ran a two year campaign that averaged 8-10 players that consisted of 6 core and the rest revolving. We maxed out a number of times at 18 players and it was a blast. I don't do one shot book campaigns. I have a fleshed out World that has been evolving for over 30 yrs and is also heavily influenced by Steven Erilksons Malazan Books of the Fallen series which he based on his old D&D and GURP campaigns. I am all about the players and the story we create together. I am currently finishing an Arc in high level campaign that has been running for over 6mos. I on put on average 25-30 hrs a week into my campaigns in many different ways. I do this because I love the game. Once we start our Campaign, together we will build and change the world. I play off my characters choices easily and as fluidly as possible. I also come to the table for a meeting already having a large number of hooks and paths for you. I don't believe in saying ok we are doing The Demon Web pits today let's start. I believe in starting in the world, interacting with it and the players making their own way based on events, information they gather and their choices. I want you to decide who to help, save, rob or remove from power, Should you slay a monster or chase it away, for example. Also your characters are integral to the world and its story so EVERYONES background will have influence and everyone will shine. I'm new to Roll20 so bare with me, I probably won't have all the macros I want ready at first but I am learning quickly. I don't demand good aligned players but I don't do evil groups.    Now to what you need to know that will make or break your decision here, if I haven't already done that. Character Creation So I am very unique in this regard  Races - there are probably only 1 or 2 races, give or take a few, in all the approved player races across all 5E books I'm not fond of I also allow homebrew races sometimes. I am very free with Race creation you will have to chat with me to understand. Classes - wow would take too much time and space to out here. I believe you should build your character how you see them so you have a lot freedom with your class structure. No punishment for multiclassing and such. Homebrew classes are also possible. Again have to chat to explain how much freedom you have. Basically forget normal constraints you get to build your character the way want more than ever before. Your backstory need not be a book just make the points you need to or right a book either way and we build from that to what you see them becoming at level 20.       To sum up, I want everyone to enjoy creating their characters the way they want to with the background, race and classes and features they want.    Other important character building info. Starting Character Level is 1 for New branch of Campaign. Also running a parallel high level campaign that has an arc ending soon so when we hop back in there every once in awhile you will have a character for that Arc as well. Final Important Info (I think)  Communication: Discord. PLUS I will send an invite to a new recruit server called K'ruls Tavern for those postings that catch my eye and I will get in touch with you after that. If you are invited please be kind to one another while on server. And read the rules.That should go without saying. I am marking server channels NSFW so you have to confirm you are an adult so after that what happens is on you. Frequency/Duration: Saturdays 6pm CST, Runtime 4 hours +   Application no that's not right how about Join Request If you feel like it answer some or all of the questions below when responding to this post please What Class(es) do you like to play What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect on class just curious Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay Your time zone What makes you reliable How long have you played D&D Are currently in a group What makes you a good fit for any group
I been dieing to play a sorrcer Race: a yuan ti if I join I have a very extensive background Since covid I can't play face to face and it's been a year. I live in central time zone I been playing d&d for 30 years I don't do any thing on the weekends so I'll be there every session What makes u a good fit for the group.  I'm a great roleplayed I pretty much stay in chacter the whole session.  I don't argue with the dm or players I come to have fun with players if I have a disagreement I'll bring it to your attention after the session.  Also I play hack and slash roleplaying or what ever u come out with if my chacter dies I don't get mad it's part of the game.  I'm pretty laid back so whatever happens .  I'm funny and I get along with everybody.
What Class(es) do you like to play -- I play all kinds of classes. I definitely prefer more flexible and diverse classes rather than ones that are focused on one thing. I also tend to lean towards what helps fill gaps in the group rather than just picking something and running with it. What Species(race) do you want to play -- There's plenty of races I've wanted to play in the past that I stayed away from for a more mechanically superior option. It'd be nearly impossible for me to single out one specific race that I'd like to play, especially without knowing more about character creation. Why do you want to join this campaign -- For starters, I'm definitely interested in seeing how an experienced GM runs games. In the last 10 years or so I've been on Roll20, almost every GM I've encountered is new or uses pre-made content. There is nothing at all wrong with either of those things but I'd definitely like to see the difference. I'm also very intrigued by the level of flexibility you are talking about, both in character creation as well as in gameplay. Your time zone -- East coast of the US What makes you reliable  -- I'm 38 years old and I'm already established in a career with the postal service. My job schedule has been the same for the last 6 years or so. I'm off on the weekends so it's no problem to sit down Saturday night and play til whenever. Outside of family or personal emergencies, there will be no issues with me being available for sessions. How long have you played D&D  -- As for D&D itself, I don't have as much experience as I do with other systems. I started with 4e 10ish years ago and played a few short-lived campaigns, one was with RL friends and the others were here on Roll20, before getting into Pathfinder. I played that for the next 3-4 years or so until I started becoming a bit bored with the system. From there I moved over to the Warhammer 40k RPGs by Fantasy Flight Games and have been playing solely that system since "quitting" Pathfinder. As with Pathfinder before it, I've started to become a bit bored by the 40k RPGs and so now I'm looking to get into 5e. I've been in a few campaigns over the years so I know the system but I've never  been part of a campaign that lasted for a significant amount of time. Are currently in a group  -- I'm in a few different groups at the moment. I'm in two weekly groups. One runs on Mondays and one runs on Tuesdays. I'm also in some really casual play-by-post groups with some long time friends. What makes you a good fit for any group  -- As mentioned before, my schedule is really stable so it's very rare that I miss sessions. I'm also a very big proponent of D&D being a collaborative group effort where everyone should be working together. Sometimes that means I end up playing the Cleric when I really want to play the Rogue but I make it work. If there's any follow up questions or anything, you can get in touch with me on Discord(stormseeker24#4786) or here on Roll20. Thanks!

Edited 1628979902
What Class(es) do you like to play Preferably a spellcaster though I'm open to playing anything What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect on class just curious preferably a homebrew were-spider Link to homebrew here Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay looking for a good long term campaign Your time zone Central What makes you reliable I don't know what to say other than if the group isn't for me or if I have to leave for some reason I will let you/the group know before I leave How long have you played D&D I have played for roughly 20 years Are currently in a group A couple different groups. If you are looking for people who aren't in any groups I understand. What makes you a good fit for any group I'm not sure I guess it depends on the group. I'm pretty easy going for the most part and don't cause drama. My discord is Dandere#2642

Edited 1628982658
Im very interested and would love an opportunity to join I have played many  different classes before, i'd be looking to play a barbarian this time around.  A Dhampir barbarian. Right? I thought so too ;) i've had too many inconsistent groups, or groups where the DM has put 0 effort in before each session. i want to roleplay and have fun and make new friends. it's what DnD is about. I am always like to communicate with everyone in advance and keep the ball rolling. Thanks military lol. But if you mean as a party member, one trait that is a part of me and therefore the characters i play, is that i won't leave anyone to die alone. no matter the cost. I've played for the last two years, heavily during the pandemic Technically, yes, i am in other campaigns that meet on different days, but saying they meet regularly is like saying vegans love fresh beef. I put my attention where it's best used, and it sounds like you have the right kind of mentality. What makes me a good fit? i'm like the straight 4 in tetris, no matter what i can find a place. i'm very level headed (ironic given that i want to play a barbarian), i have a great sense of humor, and most of all, i try to make sure everyone else is having a good time and feels included. All that aside, I would love to join. oh and I'm PST.
Hey! This all sounds very interesting, and I'd like to join the world you've been creating! What Class(es) do you like to play - I've been stuck as a pretty much forever DM and have only played a few sessions myself as a player. I've had so many ideas but not a lot of chances to actually play the character's I create so I end up throwing them in my stories as a side NPC for missions or story content. I prefer spell casters overall though. What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect on class just curious I'd prefer to play characters that are more human-esc. So Half-elves, Humans, I also like the thought of the Reborn in the new Sourcebook VRGtR. Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay Thoroughly enjoyed the feel you are trying to represent in your campaign and it sounds similar to the campaigns I run, to where I put in hours and hours of work for a few hours of very promising gameplay. Passion is key to great art. The people make the group and as long as the group enjoys themselves then it was a successful game. Your time zone - EST What makes you reliable - As a forever DM I was the only participant who HAD to be there, haha. Along with the hours prep I have the most investment in my games. I am no longer running campaigns because other people have things go on and can never make it. Scheduling is the biggest challenge to run DnD. So I'm hoping to find people who are more consistent. How long have you played D&D -  since the very end (November) of 2019, so about 2 years? Are currently in a group - Not anymore! Free and flexible. What makes you a good fit for any group - Moved every 2 years of my life even to other countries, so I've constantly had to develop diverse social skills growing up. I am not partial to any particular playstyle, as said before it's all about good vibes and the enjoyment of the group. I am flexible to however things turn out.
Thank you for your informative post!  I’m very interested… What Class(es) do you like to play? ·          While I like to mix it up a bit, I seem to primarily play paladins.   I enjoy rangers, rogues and others as well.   When I play a full caster, it tends to be a cleric.   What Species(race) do you want to play?   ·          I like to see what the group is comprised of already.  If there are already several of one race, or class, I tend to pick something else for variety.  That said, I tend to mostly play half-elves, half-orcs and dwarves.  I actually play several, but tend not to play human, since I already play that in real life.  Why do you want to join this campaign?   ·          I enjoy a bit of flexibility in being creative (homebrew), not for power gaming purposes.  I’ve been playing D&D, and other games, on and off for decades, and I enjoy experiencing other options. ·          You seem committed to being a good DM ·          The date and time work perfectly for what I’m looking for  Your time zone ·          PST  What makes you reliable ·          I’ve only had to miss 2 sessions in over a year with 3 groups I’ve played with / playing with.  Once due to work and the other due to an emergency.   How long have you played D&D ·          On and off for 25+ years.  Skipped 4 th edition completely.   Are currently in a group ·          I’m in two groups now.  One has been for 1.5 years and the other for close to a year.   What makes you a good fit for any group ·          I believe people are here to enjoy themselves and I don’t get in the way of that goal ·          I’ve played with experience and new players, enjoy both.  Okay, there was this one guy, but…. ·          I play my character and not someone else’s.  I enjoy RP and building on my concept.  Nothing crazy, I just like to envision my character would do. ·          I show up If selected, I will be unavailable 8/23 - 8/28.  Thanks for the review!
Hi there I think the biggest appeal for me in this game is the fact there is so much experience involved. Even if I didn't get picked for the game I would love to sit down and talk with you or any other player involved as I have never seen a game apart from the groups of Critical Roll and Court of Swords on youtube. What Class(es) do you like to play: I love me my Rogue, Ranger, Monk, Artificer and Warlocks. New to the Artificer and I am still learning what it can do. What Species(race) do you want to play: I vary in my race choices. I love Playing Wood elves, Tieflings, Dwarves, Human, Tabaxi, Yan ti, goblin, and homebrew races of True Vampire and Apeling. Why do you want to join this campaign: To learn from more experienced players. Like what is good to note down, how I can better myself in RP. I have always pushed myself to get better to make the experience more fun for those around me. Your time zone: I live in New South Wales Australia, Timezone is UTC+10 How long have you played D&D: I have been playing D&D on and off now for about 8 years Are currently in a group: Yes I am in a group that plays on my Tuesdays every week in a 5e Homebrew Kingmaker campaign What makes you a good fit for any group: I like to bring in my good vibes and make the game fun for any involved, I have been known to pm a GM/DM and tell them that I have seen others not having fun, keeping my eye out for any bad vibes and helping come up with Ideas that others may not have had. Hope we get the chance to chat. Daniel
Hi! I would love to join your campaign. It's been a while since I read the Malazan books, but I remember enjoying them a lot and a world influenced by them sounds extremely fun. What Class(es) do you like to play? I adore warlocks of any flavor and sorcerers, but I don't mind playing any class if that's what the party needs. I have enough character concepts to craft one that will work for both me and everyone else. What Species(race) do you want to play? - has NO affect on class just curious I'm partial to Tieflings and Aasimar, but I also tend to play a lot of humans, half elves and half orcs, with the occasional elf or halfling thrown into the mix. Why do you want to join this campaign? - not looking for an essay I'd love to play with experienced players and learn from them. I've played on and off, but we were all new to the game, so it was very much (fun) stumbling around in the dark. Your post also tells me you have a really open minded attitude towards your players, which I appreciate a lot. The fact that you put such emphasis on not tolerating bigotry is appealing to me as well. Last but not least, the prospect of a long term campaign is something I find very enticing, as I haven't had the chance to experience one yet. Your time zone? I'm in CET, typically available evenings. I've played with people from all over the world before, I don't mind staying up very late or getting up early on weekends. On weekdays, I sadly can't do that, since I have to be at work. What makes you reliable? I'm a teacher, which means I have a rather stable schedule. I know how to work with people and I always do my best to get along with everyone. I hate wasting other people's time, so I would never do anything like being late or not ready for a session - or not letting the group know I can't make it. How long have you played D&D? I played weekly for a year with a friend group, though it was never a longer campaign, mostly short ones and a lot of oneshots. I feel like I have a decent grasp of the game thanks to it, but I definitely have a lot to learn still. Are currently in a group? Unfortunately not. Mine fell apart after our group of then-university students scattered into dealing with our personal lives. What makes you a good fit for any group? As I've stated before, I try to get along with everyone. I like helping others. I'm also very interested in stories and characters, and curious to learn more. I'm willing to adjust my character and their story for the benefit of the party, because I want to make sure everyone is having fun.
Wow, I love all the rules/boundaries up front, to be perfectly honest, and I like the sound of your setting and your DMing style. How long have you played D&D: Fairly new (Around a year?), but I have the mechanics of creating/running a character down, just not a ton of experience with all the lore and some of the rarer rules. What Class(es) do you like to play: Any? I haven't played very many yet, but what I have played have been martials so I'm more interested in playing a spellcaster right now. What Species(race) do you want to play: I would love to home-brew a half-dwarf; half-elves are cool and advantageous with their racial bonuses but where's the love for the dwarves? But really, any race that is not-human and preferably has Darkvision. Why do you want to join this campaign: Well, as stated, I liked your rules, boundaries, player expectations, and your DMing style and experience were big pluses to me. I just came from a homebrew campaign with a first-time DM and while they are wonderful, I felt more like our characters were shuffling through a play than making choices that could actually influence the setting. Your time zone: CST What makes you reliable: I'm punctual, communicative of issues/time constraints, and I take notes during the session both to help me focus and so I can review them before the next session. And I'm new enough to DnD that this is still all super exciting so I come prepared. What makes you a good fit for any group: I am not a good fit for all groups. While I'm generally laid back, when I do have issues, I prefer to clearly communicate them and work through them rather than ignore the issue or let my feelings fester until I have an outburst. I'm also not interested in tables where gratuitous gore or pornographic sexual content is the norm, where character death is common and should be expected, and where sexual assault of players characters are a possibility. Things that do make me a good fit for groups are my collaborative attitude, punctuality,, and my willingness to be flexible and accommodate other players. I want to make characters that work with the group and help them function as a team, not a collection of strangers moving in one direction.
Please READ: Every one posting here please be patient with I recently had a death of someone close to me to deal with and went to wake yesterday. Apparently age and wisdom do not spare or protect you from grief.  Just need some time before I'm ready to chat. 
What Class(es) do you like to play- monk and druid What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect on class just curious- arachne or some homebrew spider race Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay- because im new to dnd i have been playing for a few months with some friends but i would like to play more and invest into other stories so i can get better and learn more. Your time zone- eastern What makes you reliable- I enjoy the game and i dont have much of a life. so thats the most reliable you can get. How long have you played D&D- 6 or more months Are currently in a group- yes What makes you a good fit for any group- im probably not. im new but i know enough to play and have fun. 
Sorry to here that having someone pass is never easy
What Class(es) do you like to play:     I am a very wide ranged player, who enjoys a lot of classes. the character im currently thinking is a heavy armored fist fighter. c: What Species(race) do you want to play - has NO affect on class just curious      Probably a dwarf. c: Why do you want to join this campaign - not looking for an essay         i love living, breathing worlds, and finding the lore that breathes in these lands. I love that stuff. Your time zone       CST in america, but i work crazy hours. What makes you reliable          i have never missed a game without 2 days prior warning, unless it was an emergency, and i generally will alert as soon as i can. I also take extensive notes, but generally from my perspective, so i cannot metagame. c: How long have you played D&D        5 years constantly, since 11/07/16 Are currently in a group       Im currently in 4, and want a fifth c: and yes, i keep extensive notes on all of them. What makes you a good fit for any group                 im going to make a somber dwarf who replies in shorts sentences, fights with his fists and insanely heavy armor, and breaks the backs of creatures more than twice his size.    ( my discord is megatokyofan666#9032 if youd like it.I am sorry for your loss, and my prayers to selemene.  )
What Class(es) do you like to play: wanted to play a rogue What Species(race) do you want to play - looking to play a tabaxi Why do you want to join this campaign - just a chill guy looking to play dnd. Your time zone- Hst What makes you reliable-  I believe being on time or showing up little early is important How long have you played D&D- A month but fast learner. Played pathfinder for 2 years Are currently in a group- I have a Tuesday group and its been fun What makes you a good fit for any group- down to earth personality, my backstory can fit any campaign and dm can insert me anywhere. 
I am sending out requests for chat a few at a time some through roll20 some thru discord ids I've received. First we chat and if that goes well on both sides then you join recruit server and we see how you get along with others and you can check out some more info on campaign. Don't give up because you havent gotten request I'm picky and I do things randomly sometimes.
UPDATE ON POSTING So I have sent out a number of invites and I always start with those who respond first and work my way through. Right now I have reached my goal for people who have made it through the first stage where we both agree that we mesh. More than likely they will survive the last 3 stages. But I want to say thank you to everyone who responded to my post and all those I have met with on discord. If I have need for more players for whatever reason, like a second group I am considering, I will repost. Again Thank You All So Much! Good Gaming!