Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Card Deck questions…

1 -Is there a maximum size for a custom card deck? b - are decks shared between pages, so that players on different pages are drawing from the same deck? Thanks!…
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
are decks shared between pages, so that players on different pages are drawing from the same deck? Pretty sure it's shared. You could create a small deck and quickly test this, to confirm the behaviour. Is there a maximum size for a custom card deck? Haven't heard of any limit being mentioned, but there might be some upper limit in the +1000 range. Think someone created a roll table with several thousand entires with an APi script, and it didn't max out, and suspect roll tables would share any max limit with card decks. How large deck are you planning to make? I'm fairly confident a deck with under 1000 cards is possible, which would satisfy most user-cases. What's the ballpark you're aiming for?
Not sure yet. I have a virtual gaming weekend coming up and am pondering a few games with large card decks (Shadows of Brimstone, for instance.) Thanks!

Edited 1630001333
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Surely you have a ballpark idea of how many you might use. 100 cards? 1000 cards? 10.000 cards? 100k cards? Edit: looking at the number of cards listed here , the number of cards in you game isn't going to be that many, and have basically zero chance on hitting any hypothetical deck limit in Roll20.
Yes, I have no idea how many cards but it shouldn’t be an issue…
Gold
Forum Champion
Interesting questions both. I believe the card decks / hands should remain "the same" regardless of which PAGE you're on. Even if you "Split the Party" and have some players on another page.  NOTE that cards played onto the tabletop would only be seen by people on the same page as each other.  Other than table-played (down on the table cards, the rest should be the same from page to page (That's the deck, the hands, and the discard pile.) The other question, haven't heard of anyone maxing out the card deck size yet. But it is possible to hit your Roll20 upload quota limit with graphics eventually.
Gold said: Interesting questions both. I believe the card decks / hands should remain "the same" regardless of which PAGE you're on. Even if you "Split the Party" and have some players on another page.  NOTE that cards played onto the tabletop would only be seen by people on the same page as each other.  Other than table-played (down on the table cards, the rest should be the same from page to page (That's the deck, the hands, and the discard pile.) The other question, haven't heard of anyone maxing out the card deck size yet. But it is possible to hit your Roll20 upload quota limit with graphics eventually. The idea is each page is one player’s “mat.” I did this for Descent Legends of the Dark and it is working awesomely. That game doesn’t have a shared deck though…
I don't think there is a size limit to decks, I have a deck that is 375 cards big.  I will howerever take the moment to chime in that the mass uploader for deck images breaks and if you do too many mass uploads back to back the previous uploads tail end images will upload into the next mass upload.  I reported the bug but they never fixed it.  So if you are uploading lots of deck images, after each one, get up, stretch your legs, walk down check the mail, maybe feed the pets, then come back and upload another batch!
DM Eddie said: I don't think there is a size limit to decks, I have a deck that is 375 cards big.  I will howerever take the moment to chime in that the mass uploader for deck images breaks and if you do too many mass uploads back to back the previous uploads tail end images will upload into the next mass upload.  I reported the bug but they never fixed it.  So if you are uploading lots of deck images, after each one, get up, stretch your legs, walk down check the mail, maybe feed the pets, then come back and upload another batch! Thanks for the heads up!…
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Decks exist on a per game basis, not per page. Hands are associated with players, not tokens or pages. This follows the metaphor of a real table. A single deck in the game maintains its state across all pages.