Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

TokenMod + It's a Trap! to automate display of first person slides

Edited 1630192144
Erickson
KS Backer
Hey all, I'm trying an experiment that I think should work, but I'm bumping into some difficulty. So I'm hoping all the brilliant folks here can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've recently been familiarizing myself with TaleSpire - if you aren't acquainted, it's an amazing piece of software that lets you build beautiful 3D dungeons the same way you would if you had an infinite supply of Dwarven Forge and a physical table top. In theory, it can be used as a VTT, but it's not nearly as robust as Roll20, and not all my players can run it anyway. So what I've done is created my entire dungeon in TaleSpire, then grabbed overhead screenshots of every level to use as battle maps. This much works like a charm, and produces gorgeous custom battle maps. But since the real beauty of TaleSpire is that it lets players see the board from a first person view, I've also gone through my dungeon and taken first person screenshots of each room. I then import each room screenshot as a side on a rollable table, and drop it on the token layer below the map, so that players can scroll down and see what their characters are seeing. All of this works like a charm. Where I'm having some trouble is in trying to automate things. I'd like it so that when a player moves their token to a new room on the map, it automatically updates the slide below the map to show the first person view of that room. I can change the rollable table token side with TokenMod like this: "!token-mod --ids -MiDkhIdCKK1v6XPhNSI --set currentside|1". I've also got "It's a Trap!" installed, and my thought was that I could set up a transparent token on the GM layer over each room, and configure it with the following properties: Disabled = No, Show GM Only = No, Trigger Area = Self - Rectangle, Trigger Collision = None, Ignore Token Ids = (list of NPC ids), Affects Flying Tokens = yes, Delay Activation = 0, Activation Area = Self, and defaults for everything else, except API command, which I've set to my TokenMod call: "!token-mod --ids -MiDkhIdCKK1v6XPhNSI --set currentside|1" But for whatever reason, when the "trap" is triggered, it doesn't seem to fire the TokenMod command. I see the text I set come up in chat, so I know it's activated, but the token side doesn't change. However, if I run the exact same command in chat manually, it works. I've tried using both the API Command property as noted above, and the TokenMod Script property, set to just "--ids -MiDkhIdCKK1v6XPhNSI --set currentside|1", neither seems to execute. Am I missing something obvious? Is this just a shortcoming of TokenMod and/or It's a Trap? If @The Aaron or any other experts on these scripts have any thoughts on the matter, I'd love to hear them. Also, a separate but related issue: I'd just like it to quietly update the token side and not output anything to the chat window at all. Is that possible? If I delete the Message value all together, it still outputs to the chat, with a message like this: IT'S A STAIRWELL!!! Target: Hobgoblin Hobgoblin set off a trap: Stairwell! Is there any way to simply turn that chat output off entirely? Thanks in advance for your time and attention! P.S. - I'm only using TokenMod + It's a Trap! because I don't know of a better way to do collision detection to trigger events in Roll20. If someone can recommend a better set of scripts to accomplish the same end, I'm all ears!
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
That could be because when you run the command from it's a trap, the command is coming from the API and you do not have rights to the token. What you can do is install SelectManager and then virtually select the token by ID, so that when token mod finally gets the command, it sees a token selected. In that case you would remove the IDs argument from token mod, and you would let it operate on the selected tokens instead. You would need this syntax token from SelectManager somewhere in the TokenMod command line issued by It's a Trap: {& select -MiDkhIdCKK1v6XPhNSI}
Brilliant! You hit the nail on the head - that solved my problem with the script not triggering! Thank you so much! For anyone referencing this thread to try to figure out how to do the same thing, after installing SelectManager, my new API Command Property in the trap settings looks like:  !token-mod {& select -MiDkhIdCKKK1v6XPhNSI} --set currentside|1 So the only challenge left remaining for me is to figure out how to get it to not display the chat message. I tried setting the "Show GM Only" property to of the trap to true so players won't see it, but when I do so it no longer updates the token side. Does anyone more familiar with "It's a Trap!" than me know how to turn the chat output off?