Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dice Roll Macro Not Working for Player but Works for the DM!

Ok, in my AD&D 1E/2E game, when the players tries to roll a Detect Traps for the his Dwarf, the macro will not roll instead it just sends the macro name to the chatbox instead. However when I the DM rolls it the macro works just fine. This was also happening earlier when we tested his battle axe attack macro but that cleared up!
When the non dm's in the session try to fire a macro originating from a sheet that they have no permissions set to, or a macro button they have no permissions set to, then they will instead just spit out the raw wording of the button like you are seeing.  I don't know the system you are playing in but I'm guessing the players do not have permissions to edit the sheet the macro is originating from OR its a complex macro that needs to have permissions set for players.  I will point out that in roll20's years long life, they have never resolved the issue of the permissions setting being hidden by a scroll down in the macro button setup window.  If you are editing a macro, you will notice, even though its hard to see it, that there is more to the window then meets the eye.  Scroll down.  The hidden section is the permissions area for players.  
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
DM Eddie said: If you are editing a macro, you will notice, even though its hard to see it, that there is more to the window then meets the eye.  Scroll down.  The hidden section is the permissions area for players.   And if you are using a "macro mule" character to store macros as abilities on a character sheet, players need edit permissions, but they don't need the view permission.  That will allow them to run macros called from that sheet, but not allow them to see the sheet in the journal to actually access it.
My Players have permissions to edit their characters sheets in my AD&D 1st/2nd Edition game of which I use the 2E Simple Sheet. I have all weapon's attack macros set for 'All Players', which is accessed by them via a whispered Weapons Sub-Menu. Yet this random thing goes on from time to time.