Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Groovy and Rhythm bot shut down on discord, whats next?

Hi team, With Groovy and Rhythm bot being shutdown on discord does anyone have any ideas around getting music from youtube to all my players collectively? I've tried the Roll20 jukebox previously and the 20MB limit isn't enough for me. I have been googling around using virtual audio cables and ways to turn my audio output back through my audio input but its a bit beyond me. Could anyone please offer some advice on how me and my players could listen to the same youtube music controlled by the DM? Cheers,
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Jared said: I've tried the Roll20 jukebox previously and the 20MB limit isn't enough for me. Are all your tracks larger than 20mb? What's their playtime? If you only have a couple of tracks that are over 20mb, you could try out to split one in half with some simple audio editor. Then upload both tracks & place them in a playlist and see if the transition between the cuts is noticeable or not. Ofc, this workaround probably make it impossible to use shuffle on playlists that have multiple "split" tracks, as parts could be played out-of-order. Another option could be to stream music through a Roll20 user, but might need to do some trickery to make an audio-stream from an app or browser-window to appear as an selectable mic on Roll20. There are programs to "fake" devices like a microphone or webcam so they can be used in other apps. You could try do it on your own account, or use a Dummy Account for the audio.
Jared said: Hi team, With Groovy and Rhythm bot being shutdown on discord does anyone have any ideas around getting music from youtube to all my players collectively? I've tried the Roll20 jukebox previously and the 20MB limit isn't enough for me. I have been googling around using virtual audio cables and ways to turn my audio output back through my audio input but its a bit beyond me. Could anyone please offer some advice on how me and my players could listen to the same youtube music controlled by the DM? Cheers, I thought there was a way to jam Spotify through discord. Am I wrong?
Gargamond said: Jared said: Hi team, With Groovy and Rhythm bot being shutdown on discord does anyone have any ideas around getting music from youtube to all my players collectively? I've tried the Roll20 jukebox previously and the 20MB limit isn't enough for me. I have been googling around using virtual audio cables and ways to turn my audio output back through my audio input but its a bit beyond me. Could anyone please offer some advice on how me and my players could listen to the same youtube music controlled by the DM? Cheers, I thought there was a way to jam Spotify through discord. Am I wrong? I've been reading up on this, you can use the listen along feature with the spotify connection but I don't own a premium account. So to get music in my D&D game through spotify I would have gone from paying nothing to paying 11.99per month (Australian dollar). I can keep the adds that would only play for me and leave my players in silence while its running. For me this would be a plan b. I already have heaps of youtube links I was running through Rhythm so to start again on spotify would add another level of stuff to do. Andreas J. said: Jared said: I've tried the Roll20 jukebox previously and the 20MB limit isn't enough for me. Are all your tracks larger than 20mb? What's their playtime? If you only have a couple of tracks that are over 20mb, you could try out to split one in half with some simple audio editor. Then upload both tracks & place them in a playlist and see if the transition between the cuts is noticeable or not. Ofc, this workaround probably make it impossible to use shuffle on playlists that have multiple "split" tracks, as parts could be played out-of-order. Another option could be to stream music through a Roll20 user, but might need to do some trickery to make an audio-stream from an app or browser-window to appear as an selectable mic on Roll20. There are programs to "fake" devices like a microphone or webcam so they can be used in other apps. You could try do it on your own account, or use a Dummy Account for the audio. I'm using tracks roughly 2-3 hours long, some are looping ambience types of songs and others which are mixture of combat type tracks. Cutting up would be a pain between the cutting and uploading into Roll20 jukebox. (Also I wouldn't want to break the roll20 agreement on uploading songs I don't own...) I'd call this a plan b as well with the amount of work that would end up being involved. Right now I'm leaning towards what your saying on the trickery with my sound card to output google chrome with youtube into discord or roll20.This way I wouldn't need to find new songs or spend however long cutting up audio and then uploading it. Thanks for the help so far, if anyone else has some advice it would be greatly appreciated.
For anyone watching this thread, I have been messing around with "Voice Meeter Potato" (dumb name I know but its free). It took a little tinkering but it has got my microphone and my computer audio/youtube coming through to discord as one. I have a session on tonight and will report in if it worked.
Following this topic...
So short answer tried it, it worked but it wasn't great. The overall quality of my voice and audio sucked to my players. If anyone tries using Voice Meeter Potato through Discord remember to turn off any echo cancellation type of stuff in discord. I'm not completely sure if the quality was bad because of how I set it up or my Internet was not great (Australian internet). My next experiment is using Hydra bot and spotify combined off the back of this reddit thread: <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/DMAcademy/comments/poassi/for_dms_running_games_on_discord_freaking_out/" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/DMAcademy/comments/poassi/for_dms_running_games_on_discord_freaking_out/</a> I'm going to try Voice Meeter Potato again but run it through either a separate discord account or through the audio of a dummy roll20 account and see if I get better results.

Edited 1631882592
Jens
Pro
I made a bot for Discord using this tutorial for playing Syrinscape through Discord: <a href="https://youtu.be/lZ1FlHRjthc" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/lZ1FlHRjthc</a> You can then set Spotify and/or your browser to send it's audio through the virtual cable as well in windows audio settings. It works flawlessly, at least for me.
Guys use watch2gether i think is the best way.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Jens said: I made a bot for Discord using this tutorial for playing Syrinscape through Discord: <a href="https://youtu.be/lZ1FlHRjthc" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/lZ1FlHRjthc</a> You can then set Spotify and/or your browser to send it's audio through the virtual cable as well in windows audio settings. It works flawlessly, at least for me. It's annoying that even as a co-gm(logged in as a player) I cannot assist with our game's audio features.&nbsp; Since I host our groups discord channel this seems like a nice option. I'm going to take a crack at setting this up for our next session.&nbsp; Thanks
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Eysse said: Guys use watch2gether i think is the best way. Curious, are you using this as a complete substitution for roll20's voice/video chat feature? Thanks
Just for soundtrack, i mean battle theme and etc..., Make your playlist and invite then and they will hear the music in another browser window.
Eysse said: Guys use watch2gether i think is the best way. Thanks Eysse!, tried watch2gether last night and it worked perfectly! (I feel like google/youtube will eventually cease and desist this as well, but for now perfectly did what I needed).
Jared said: Eysse said: Guys use watch2gether i think is the best way. Thanks Eysse!, tried watch2gether last night and it worked perfectly! (I feel like google/youtube will eventually cease and desist this as well, but for now perfectly did what I needed). I hope they leave this site alone, hahaha
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Jens said: I made a bot for Discord using this tutorial for playing Syrinscape through Discord: <a href="https://youtu.be/lZ1FlHRjthc" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/lZ1FlHRjthc</a> You can then set Spotify and/or your browser to send it's audio through the virtual cable as well in windows audio settings. It works flawlessly, at least for me. I set this up and everyone was like "Where's that sound coming form...?"&nbsp; Muhaaaaaa. ;-)