Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Asking for advice...Stars within 50 Light Years of Earth map

Edited 1631639562
I have been working on a map for my personal use in Roll20.  It is a more useable map of all stars within 50 LY of Earth.  My wife saw me working on it and suggested that some other people might find such a thing useful.  If you do a search for this you won't find any useable maps of this and I have been working on translating info from an astronomy site into a useable map to use in Sci-Fi themed RPGs.  It isn't the easiest map to create. I can't imagine such a thing will be popular as it really is niche...but I wouldn't mind sharing it with people.  Heck, maybe then there will be more Sci-Fi themed games and I would be invited to join :).  The question I have is HOW do I share it.  Like I said, I don't imagine there would be much demand for a thing and that demand would likely be scattered over a long period of time...so maybe I could put it up for sale at a low price?  That way people searching on Roll20 would be able to find it in the future?  Thoughts? If you do know of a better way to share such a thing, please let me know.

Edited 1631701416
You might find this useful&nbsp;Winchell's HabHYG Starmaps <a href="http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/starmaps/mapindex.php#winch" rel="nofollow">http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/starmaps/mapindex.php#winch</a> Various visualisations, I've been using his starmaps for years in SF rpgs There's also the Astrogators Handbook available as a free pdf <a href="https://www.scifi-az.com/pdf/Excerpt-Astrogators-Handbook.pdf" rel="nofollow">https://www.scifi-az.com/pdf/Excerpt-Astrogators-Handbook.pdf</a> A&nbsp; must-have &nbsp;three dimensional star atlas for all your stellar cartography needs. The standard edition includes 300 stars inside a fifty light year cube centered on Sol, and is a free PDF download. The expanded edition includes 3,500 stars inside a 150 light year cube centered on Sol. The expanded edition cost range from $15 to $50, depending on the version (pdf, printed notebook black-and-white, printed notebook glossy color).
Thank you!&nbsp; It is (was) very tedious work.&nbsp; I will just pick this up :)
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
If you get accepted to the market you could sell yours, but, the minimum price allowed is $4.99.
Gold
Forum Champion
If it can all be compressed to a flat JPG then you could sell it in Marketplace here, or, give it away by posting the image somewhere. However if it's a more complex Roll20 Page (with Tokens for stars, Ruler configured for distances, perhaps handouts or soundtrack or macros), then it could only be distributed as a Module format (or more appropriately Add-Ons format) for sale in Roll20 Marketplace.
I am making it 'flat'...still 3 dimensional with an up/down dimension given as a number...but flat :)
Gold
Forum Champion
Got ya. To distribute that for free, you'd probably put it on some sites like Imgur (free picture sharing), Dropbox (Share mode), Reddit (to get reviews and possibly attention to it), Twitter.&nbsp; You could probably post it in a Roll20 Forum message if it meets the Terms Of Service adequately.&nbsp; To sell that image on Marketplace, you'd become a Marketplace Creator and build up a whole art-set (most likely your 1 map sliced up into 4 or 16 tiles, plus maybe also some additional art assets like individual stars), a longer process which has minimums and requirements from Roll20. T S. said: I am making it 'flat'...still 3 dimensional with an up/down dimension given as a number...but flat :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
ToS requires that any art asset posted be done only in the marketplace thread, and only by an approved Marketplace Creator, unfortunately. They sometimes overlook small exceptions, but this might be a big one. I'd suggest becoming a Creator and selling it. Or posting it to some place like Reddit. Gold said: Got ya. To distribute that for free, you'd probably put it on some sites like Imgur (free picture sharing), Dropbox (Share mode), Reddit (to get reviews and possibly attention to it), Twitter.&nbsp; You could probably post it in a Roll20 Forum message if it meets the Terms Of Service adequately.&nbsp; To sell that image on Marketplace, you'd become a Marketplace Creator and build up a whole art-set (most likely your 1 map sliced up into 4 or 16 tiles, plus maybe also some additional art assets like individual stars), a longer process which has minimums and requirements from Roll20. T S. said: I am making it 'flat'...still 3 dimensional with an up/down dimension given as a number...but flat :)