Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro help for accessing Google table and rolling to return the text in row resulted.

Edited 1631703317
I am a player, not GM in this game, so I have limited access. &nbsp;I am playing a character with a spell book that contains 990 spells. &nbsp;I can open it to a random page a certain number of times/day, scalable. &nbsp;I would like to be able to use a Google table and roll 10d100s that returns the text of the row that corresponds to that table. &nbsp;Anyone have any suggestions of a macro that would both display the roll and return the text of the row? &nbsp;i.e. &nbsp;501 501 Conjuration&nbsp; Corrosive Touch &nbsp;&nbsp; melee touch attack deals 1d4 points of acid damage per caster level (max 5d4) I have searched the community. &nbsp;One suggestion that seemed promising doesn't seem to work.&nbsp; [Generate](!&amp;#13; &amp;amp;#1; [Link]( <a href="https://tinyurl.com/Laylasspells[[" rel="nofollow">https://tinyurl.com/Laylasspells[[</a> &nbsp; [[10d100]] ]]&amp;#41;).&nbsp; Any help would be excellent. &nbsp;I really don't want to recreate a table inside of roll 20 with 990 rows. Respectfully, Dave
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I'm not sure about accessing an outside table - it seems unlikely that it can do so. You could use the&nbsp; TableExport (which also imports) API script that you&nbsp; to bring a table into Roll20 pretty easily (or in this case, more likely the GM of the game would do it). Here is a thread that explains a little more on how to set up the spreadsheet:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8739123/help-how-to-import-a-excel-table-as-a-rollable-table/?pageforid=8739741#post-8739741" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8739123/help-how-to-import-a-excel-table-as-a-rollable-table/?pageforid=8739741#post-8739741</a>
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
A 990 row RollableTable should be fine. You can roll on it with RecursiveTable if you want to get multiple results in a well formatted manner.&nbsp; If the table doesn't work out, setting up an API script to just spit out a random entry from a list of 990 spells would be pretty easy, just let me know and I can help with that.&nbsp;
OK thanks I'll try that. &nbsp;Copying into excel should be easy. &nbsp;I'll try it in an old campaign I DM'd first. &nbsp;Dave
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
David F. said: I would like to be able to use a Google table and roll 10d100s that returns the text of the row that corresponds to that table.&nbsp; On a separate point, are you sure you want to use 10d10 for this? the odds of getting each item in the table will vary a lot: the items in the middle of the table will be very common, and the items at the ends of the table will almost never come up. You can roll 1d990 - though if using a rollable table, by default every item will be equally likely which is the same thing. You can also set up weights in your excel export file, to make each row more or less common as desired.
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
You can do this in Muler, too... and I mention that only because the way a Muler table is structured allows for math to be done to your roll before you access the table return. For instance, if your spells ramped up in power/efficacy as you got closer to 990, then there could be a mod that might give you a boost: 1d990 + 100 Which would effectively cut off the bottom 100 (less powerful) spells. Another option would be if the GM said, "You book blows open in the wind and stops on page 654. What is that spell?" That is when you need to be able to return that particular entry rather than rolling randomly. Muler can give you that kind of static-access, where a rollable table cannot. So if the math of the roll might matter, or if the likelihood of a given entry might change (instead of everything weighted as 1, some are worth more), or if you might have to designate what item you are returning, then you might want to think about Muler. If your odds would never change, and you will alwyas open the spell book randomly, then you could easily handle this with a rollable table.
It is DM's homebrew class and he set up the parameters and accounted for the middle values being rolled more frequently and 10 and 1000 being very infrequent. &nbsp;