Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Does buying a sourcebook let me have access to tokens which already have macros / stats set up that I can drag and drop into a roll20 map?

Hi All Basically the title. I'm dming a campaign and going through the setup of making a character sheet in the journal for each new creature type I introduce is such a pain that I never do it. If I buy for example the Monster Manual Source book, would I have a list of creatures that I can drag from into the map which would come with its stats and actions (so a goblin token would come in with its health, AC, actions as macros)? I have a massive list of creatures in my art library but they have no stats linked to them at all.  Thanks, and sorry if this is a repetition that's been asked before, I tried searching the forums for an answer and couldn't find what I was asking. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You already have access to a huge library of creatures through the free SRD. Buying the Monster Manual would have a few differences: Token art for every monster Every monster is illustrated on its bio page (where such illustrations exist) Every Monster has its lore (The Monster Manual entry) Many, many more monsters (The entire Monster Manual) Token action buttons do not come preset, but every monster has its full gamut of actions that are clickable on the sheet. There are some great shortcuts to allow you to make them more accessible:  Free macro that anyone can run that would make a chat menu for any selected monster (there are several of these floating around the forum) NPC Statblock Chat Menu for D&D 5e sheet — No API required! API script that can create token action buttons for each monster (Pro subscription) Token Action Maker
Sorry, very new to actual creatures here. I just put pictures in and then use other sources for references. What is SRD? How do I add it to a campaign?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It would probably be a good idea to take the tutorial and watch a couple of videos, I'll post my "welcome blurb" below the line. For your specific questions: I am assuming since you said "Monster Manual" you are playing D&D5e. I'll proceed under that assumption. When creating a game, be sure to choose a character sheet. For 5e I would suggest the official sheet, it will make life easier for you. Choosing that sheet automatically connects your game to the resources of the SRD. This stands for System Reference Document, and is a subset of the rules that Wizards of the Coast makes available for free. There are quite a few monsters, base character classes, spells and such available for free, but it is a definitely a subset. The "i" icon on the sidebar to your right while in the game is your interface to the Compendium. From here you can drag monsters onto the map, spells onto character sheets and much more. This is freely available info and contains no WotC art or trademarked items (like Mind Flayers™). For many people this is enough, and might be good to test with while you are getting started. Feel free to ask any specific questions. Here's the welcome: First off: Welcome to Roll20! If you are looking for a quick hands-on introduction I would recommend taking the  Tutorial . For a more in-depth guide, you can check out the excellent  Tutorial Videos  by Carlos Luna on Youtube, or my own video,  Starting from Scratch . Additionally, starting your own test game to play with different features and controls is a great way of getting used to the software and layout! If you are ready to jump into some adventures, check out the  Looking For Group Tool  and  Looking for Group Forum  daily for games that may be of interest to you. Also, be sure to fill out your  User Profile ! Your "Bio" is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself The "Enjoys Playing" section is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for  The Orr Group Industry Report  of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you The "Actively Seeks Group For" section is where you can add yourself to the  Player Directory  for systems you want to play We also have a  wiki  and a  Help Center  where you can find answers to a lot of your questions! However, if you can't find an answer, feel free to post in our  various sub-forums  based on their particular topics. Completely new to Role-Playing Games? Check out our  Introduction to Tabletop RPGs  wiki page. Good luck (and loot) on your adventures!

Edited 1632099280
Thanks for the help! Yeah, sorry I forgot to clarify, I'm running 5e. I've been puttering around with that and I have pretty much figured out the basics. I can import creatures from the (i) tab to the journal, at which point it has the creature's attributes carried over. At this point I have 2 problems When I carry over the stats for a creature, the attributes carry over fine but the actions it can take aren't carried over (in the Attributes and Abilities tab for the Character page in the Journal). If I want a macro that would roll hit and damage dice I'd have to create it myself. Am I doing something wrong? I'm still able to make it roll for initiative, so I know that something is working at least. When I use 2 of the same creature on the map (2 wolves for example) and I select a group of them  to have them all roll initiative, I press the initiative button on the top right but only one of the creatures on the board rolls initiative. Is there a way to make them all roll initiative or do I have to select them individually and roll them like that. If I do it individually, it works fine. Thanks again!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
1. You aren't doing anything wrong. Creatures do not come with Abilities pre-populated. The two links I gave above are ways to provide that functionality. Virtually every attack, action and feature on the sheet is clickable, though. If you don't want to try one of those solutions, you can open the sheets you need and minimize them by clicking on their title bars. 2. Group rolling for initiative is not possible at the free tier. Initiative is token-based, not character-based. To cycle through every token requires selecting each one and rolling initiative, or using an API script (Pro perk). You can make a universal initative token action, though. Create a macro on your collections tab. Call it, say "Init". Fill it with this code: @{selected|wtype}&{template:npc} @{selected|npc_name_flag} {{rname=^{init}}} {{mod=[[[[@{selected|initiative_bonus}]][DEX]]]}} {{r1=[[@{selected|d20}+[[@{selected|initiative_bonus}]][DEX] &{tracker}]]}} {{normal=1}} {{type=Initiative}} Save it. Click the button that says to use as a token macro. Now whatever monster you select will have its own initiative button, automatically, no setup. You can only roll initiative for one token at a time, still. Most GMs I know roll initiative once for each call of creature. All goblins share initiative, all wargs share their own, and so forth.