Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is now on Roll20!

Gather round, tricksters! Today Wizards of the Coast released the latest in their D&D fifth edition line: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight ! Of course, we worked our fey magic to get the whole release ready for you on the Roll20 Marketplace, fully integrated into the VTT. Organizing your sessions shouldn’t feel like a circus, so we’ve done the prep work for you GMs out there: all monsters, maps, and more are built right into the VTT so your sessions sparkle from day one. What’s more, to help you get off on the right rabbit foot, we’ve included an interactive Dungeon Master’s Tips page within the module to show you all the tools and tricks for playing your campaign on Roll20! My fancy pink arrows are to help draw your attention to this exciting feature. What’s Inside? This is the first official Dungeons & Dragons adventure set primarily in the Feywild, the Plane of Faerie. The Witchlight Carnival, which serves as the means by which the characters enter the Feywild, can be dropped easily into any campaign setting. Players can create characters using one of two new races presented in this adventure, faeries and the harengon. Two new character backgrounds are included: the Feylost (for characters who grew up in the Feywild) and the Witchlight Hand (for characters who work at the Witchlight Carnival). All encounters in the adventure include a non-combat option, allowing players to think and roleplay their way through the adventure if they wish. The adventure features the return of Warduke, Strongheart, Kelek and other classic D&D characters from the 1980s. The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is available on Roll20 here . The bundle includes an adventure module, a Compendium expansion, and a Character art pack.  Question Time! Q: What if I pre-ordered The Wild Beyond the Witchlight on Roll20? A: As of this post, all pre-orders have been fulfilled! If you pre-ordered this title, the module, compendium expansion, and art pack have now been sprinkled into your Roll20 collection. Q: How do I access the content on Roll20 once I’ve purchased it? A: The Wild Beyond the Witchlight includes an adventure module, a compendium expansion, and a character art pack. To access the module, click on the Start New Game option from the site menu. The column on the right-hand side of the page is titled Optional: Choose a Module. Clicking on the Wild Beyond the Witchlight cover image will select this module as the base for your new game. You can access all of the rules, items, and creatures from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight in the in-app compendium , as well as on the Roll20 web compendium . And, finally, you can access the Character Art Pack under the Premium Assets section of the Art Library in-app. These assets are only available for in-app use. Q: Is there Charactermancer support? A: Yes! The exciting new backgrounds and races are ready and available in the Charactermancer for all who purchase this product! Q: I thought the $29.99 price was a limited preorder only price? A: By popular demand, we are keeping the limited price going for just a little longer. We will be announcing on the Marketplace page with a 2-week notice before the price changes. I’ll also be sure to comment on this thread when the enchantment is going to be lifted! Q: If you were a pixie, what would your name be? A: I have informed my Roll20 colleagues that I shall henceforth be known as Jellybean Starfish. I will be taking no more questions at this time. …. But seriously, if you have any more questions, please let us know, and we will help you out as best as we can! Enjoy your adventures in the Feywild!
There a particular reason the digital book isn't readable through the compendium directly like the other books? Was really looking forward to reading through it leisurely before traversing it like everything else and was surprised to see the lack of content in the compendium. Are there plans to add it at a later date or is it simply going to be available through in-game access? Personally hoping for the former with what strict availability I have to sneak in during my days.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You should be able to access it from the compendium page: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Rules:The%20Wild%20Beyond%20the%20Witchlight#content" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Rules:The%20Wild%20Beyond%20the%20Witchlight#content</a>
There are a number of broken links throughout the rules section. The links to the next page, where those pages are "Races" or "Backgrounds" goes to the default page for those entries in 5E, not this book's pages.

Edited 1632331419
Eve
Roll20 Team
Dr DM said: There are a number of broken links throughout the rules section. The links to the next page, where those pages are "Races" or "Backgrounds" goes to the default page for those entries in 5E, not this book's pages. Thanks for reporting this. Pretty sure we know what the problem is and we're currently working to get it fixed! An edit and an update: After discussing the issue further I want to let you know that we currently don't have an ETA for a permanent fix here. The issue itself stems from the fact that any page that shares a name with another page within the same Compendium (D&amp;D 5E in this case) will default to the oldest page that shares that name. If this happens while you're within a Compendium the easiest way to fix it is to scroll up to the "Source" dropdown menu and select the name of the book that you are trying to access. I'm including a screenshot below of where this dropdown menu is located. Thanks again for reporting this as an issue.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I know there can often be lots of negative feedback in a forum, so I wanted to chime in with a positive and say that the Dungeon Master Tips page is great! I'm happy to see more clear and interactive ways to help newer DM's learn the system. Also, the inclusion of token actions really brings up the level and DM usefulness of this conversion as well. I hope these great implementations become standard for all new modules going forward!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Agreed on both points. These are great improvements that I'd love to see applied to older module patches. I'd really hoped the marketing blurb would highlight these new features.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
keithcurtis said: Agreed on both points. These are great improvements that I'd love to see applied to older module patches. I'd really hoped the marketing blurb would highlight these new features. Agreed! Updates to older content is great, and helps keep the platform from feeling like it is stagnating.&nbsp;
I'm in love with the QoL improvements in the module. As with the others modules, i would like to access all the book from the compendium and not only the "not adventure parts", so i can read it outside the game itself. One thing that would be amazing for the Witchlight Carnival page, is to make a multiside token for each tracking part (the time and mood ones). So i can move the marker and change it to reflect de icon below. Thanks for the amazing adaptation to the platform ❤
So much this! Yoyi said: One thing that would be amazing for the Witchlight Carnival page, is to make a multiside token for each tracking part (the time and mood ones). So i can move the marker and change it to reflect de icon below.
Eve
Roll20 Team
Yoyi said: As with the others modules, i would like to access all the book from the compendium and not only the "not adventure parts", so i can read it outside the game itself. I'll take this suggestion back to the team but I'd also like to provide some insight as to why it isn't already standard practice. When we first started introducing Compendium support for modules with Ghosts of Saltmarsh we actually considered including the adventures from that book in the Compendium so that they could be more easily looked over by the GM. What we quickly realized however is that we don't currently have a way to prevent a player from using the in game Compendium to look ahead and potentially spoil the adventure for themselves and the other players. I'm not sure if there's already a thread about this in the Suggestions Forum but if there's not I'd suggest making a post there.
I've started running this and the players are loving the Carnival map. When they saw it one of the players immediately said, "Oh, it is a real theme park!" The map gave them ideas about where they wanted to go and, even though this bunch is cynical and want to ruin everything planned for them, they got on board with the carnival in the encounters we were able to get through.

Edited 1633189088
The attacks for Skabatha Nightshade are missing the ordinary claw attack. This appears to be for the in-adventrue version only.
Dr DM said: The attacks for Skabatha Nightshade are missing the ordinary claw attack. This appears to be for the in-adventrue version only. Thanks for the keen eye! This will be fixed in a patch going out later this week.
Just want to update as promised in the original post - the price enchantment has been lifted as of today. We announced on social media that the limited time pricing would be extended until October 1, but we gave folks a little extra time to claim it over the weekend. Limited time pricing is still in effect on preorders currently open for Fizban's Treasury of Dragons and Strixhaven: Curriculum of Chaos !
I just noticed that Token Actions are added to each character sheet, which is cool/great. But I have my own set which takes up less space and now I have to remove them from all 184 sheets. Is there a way to in the future add a step for adding or not adding this during setup? Also is there a quick way to remove them all?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Since you have Pro, yes. Install Token Action Maker, select all the tokens and run: !deleteta Since they are character sheet abilities, this will take care of them on every page and default tokens as well. Note this will remove all token actions that do not end with a period. If you wish to remove everything , use !deleteallta Test on a test game first, of course, in case of Revoltin' Developments.

Edited 1633542020
Has anyone else noticed that the number 1 is missing from the distance scales on the Hither, Thither and Yon maps? Is there a reason for this?
Andy1976 said: Has anyone else noticed that the number 1 is missing from the distance scales on the Hither, Thither and Yon maps? Is there a reason for this? Yeah, very strange that the numbers are represented by GM Layer tokens, too.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's the way nearly all labels are done. GMs can move what they wish to the map layer. And yeah, they are missing. :( Fortunately, as missing labels go, these are easy to work around.

Edited 1633559457
For sure. It's not a big deal. I noticed in on Hither first and was just going to copy/paste it from Thither or Yon and noticed it missing on both of those too. I though maybe it was one of the 3/8 easter eggs hahaha. Edit: They just patched this. Nice!
Well, after the update, none of the macros work with the tables.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What update?
I just applied the patch for the adventure, and it either renamed all the tables but not the references in the macros or it renamed all the references in the macros and did not rename the tables. I think that the former is more likely, but I haven't looked at my original copy.

Edited 1633626121
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It looks like only some macros are affected. Notably, anything with a # in the name. For some reason, many of the hyphens in table calls have been turned into hashtags. You can fix this with a quick manual edit. (I know this isn't an ideal solution, but it quick-fixes the problem). The original wording of the macros is still intact in the macros handout in the game. The patch notes indicate that any macros that need repairing can be copied from there.
Eve
Roll20 Team
Just to follow up on what Keith said this is currently the best way to fix any broken macros in Wild Beyond the Witchlight. The # symbol will cause macros&nbsp; to not function correctly but was present in the names of several tables. We patched these tables to remove the # symbol but the macros will need to be updated using the "Macros and Handouts" handout.
Tintin_discord
Pro
Marketplace Creator
The printed book and the digital version available on D&amp;D Beyond has a section called "Roleplaying Cards". I wish that these were included in the Roll20 version. They are especially helpful for new dms. I have a friend who lent me their digital version, so I printed them out.

Edited 1633958744
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Tintin_discord said: The printed book and the digital version available on D&amp;D Beyond has a section called "Roleplaying Cards". I wish that these were included in the Roll20 version. They are especially helpful for new dms. I have a friend who lent me their digital version, so I printed them out. While not included as a card deck, all of that info is on each NPC sheet in the Bio section. Edit to add: I did some spot checking beyond my initial look, and it turns out it isn't there for all of the cards. For example, Algarthas and Argantle are missing the info, but Agdon Longscarf and Mister Witch have it. Complete list of NPCs missing this info: ALAGARTHAS THE ELF PRINCE ARGANTLE THE KORRED QUEEN BURLY THE BUGBEAR CHUCKLEHEAD THE GOBLIN CANDLEFOOT THE MIME VANSEL THE SATYR WILL OF THE FEYWILD THINNINGS THE BUTLER THACO THE CLOWN STAGEFRIGHT THE GOBLIN SOWPIG SIR TALAVAR THE FAERIE DRAGON PINCUSHION THE LIVING DOLL SHON THE HUNCHBACK PALASHA THE MERMAID NORTHWIND THE TREANT SAPLING MORGORT THE BULLYWUG KNIGHT NIB THE MISER JINGLE JANGLE THE GOBLIN HURLY THE BUGBEAR DIRLAGRAUN THE DISPLACER BEAST CRADLEFALL THE GREEN DRAGON WYRMLING
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Also, when you go to the help center to put in an issue, The Wild Beyond the Witchlight is not listed as a Dungeons &amp; Dragons 5th Edition Product to report an error with.
A strange question - what governs the decision to require players to make a new game versus being able to incorporate it into their existing campaigns.&nbsp; I just took a look and although I'm 16 sessions deep into my waterdeep:dragon &nbsp;heist campaign, there's no way to import this adventure as an add-on?&nbsp; Same for DotMM, which is where my characters are going next.&nbsp; Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Can't say authoritatively, but the my assumption has always been one of asset and memory management. When you load a Roll20 game, nearly everything is loaded into RAM. It has to be to maintain performance. But it means the larger the game, the greater the overhead. Dragonheist is a big campaign. Imagine if someone loaded all of Mad Mage into it. That's even huger. And then Curse of Strahd. And so on.&nbsp;Huge games can refuse to load or even be backed up or restored. Despite the number of people who understand asset management, there would be a great number of people who didn't, whose play experience would be kneecapped, and who would be flooding the Help Center with lag problems. There are limits to running in a browser environment. It's not terribly difficult to create a new game/module and transmog or vault character into it. Time consuming, if you don't use tricks like a&nbsp; Macro Character Sheet , of course. But better than a lot of frustrated players wondering why their game refuses to load.
Eve
Roll20 Team
Loren the GM said: Tintin_discord said: The printed book and the digital version available on D&amp;D Beyond has a section called "Roleplaying Cards". I wish that these were included in the Roll20 version. They are especially helpful for new dms. I have a friend who lent me their digital version, so I printed them out. While not included as a card deck, all of that info is on each NPC sheet in the Bio section. Edit to add: I did some spot checking beyond my initial look, and it turns out it isn't there for all of the cards. For example, Algarthas and Argantle are missing the info, but Agdon Longscarf and Mister Witch have it. Complete list of NPCs missing this info: ALAGARTHAS THE ELF PRINCE ARGANTLE THE KORRED QUEEN BURLY THE BUGBEAR CHUCKLEHEAD THE GOBLIN CANDLEFOOT THE MIME VANSEL THE SATYR WILL OF THE FEYWILD THINNINGS THE BUTLER THACO THE CLOWN STAGEFRIGHT THE GOBLIN SOWPIG SIR TALAVAR THE FAERIE DRAGON PINCUSHION THE LIVING DOLL SHON THE HUNCHBACK PALASHA THE MERMAID NORTHWIND THE TREANT SAPLING MORGORT THE BULLYWUG KNIGHT NIB THE MISER JINGLE JANGLE THE GOBLIN HURLY THE BUGBEAR DIRLAGRAUN THE DISPLACER BEAST CRADLEFALL THE GREEN DRAGON WYRMLING This should be fixed now with the most recent patch. We suggest making a copy of the game before you patch and please let us know if any of the bio sections are still missing this information after applying the patch!
Tintin_discord
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Another thing is missing. It seems that there is player handout art that isn't referenced in the text, like "Outstare the Cyclops". There should be a link to the art in the Small Stalls text but there isn't. I like to share that art with players to set the mood, but if it isn't mentioned in the text, then I miss it.
Eve
Roll20 Team
Tintin_discord said: Another thing is missing. It seems that there is player handout art that isn't referenced in the text, like "Outstare the Cyclops". There should be a link to the art in the Small Stalls text but there isn't. I like to share that art with players to set the mood, but if it isn't mentioned in the text, then I miss it. Thanks for the suggestion, I use art handouts the same way. Linking to art handouts within the text of other handouts isn't something we currently do but I've passed along the feedback so that our conversion team can consider it in the future.

Edited 1634173917
Great adventure. But why, oh why, are there huge symbols all over the final map in the adventure that could have been on the GM layer? The Hart and Lion symbols on the Palace map are helpful, yes, but they are perfect examples of GM layer information. Everything similar is on the GM layer, just not these obvious symbols sitting in the middle of floors and across walls. Also, they are referenced in the relevant Handout, "Exploring the Palace", but the handout does not have the symbols in them. Oof.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
IIRC, the symbols are carved designs that the characters can see. Also, I haven't double-checked, but I think they are still separate symbols on the map layer that can be moved to the GM layer, if you prefer them to be hidden.
Might be nice to have a note of this in the Roll20 information handouts. For a module like this, I almost never have any reason to go to the map layer of pre-loaded maps, as there is little, if anything, to change.
Bear in mind that I love this adventure and I am spending a lot of time with it. The charactermancer does not add any languages for fairy characters. I suspect that it does the same for harengon characters.
Eve
Roll20 Team
Dr DM said: Might be nice to have a note of this in the Roll20 information handouts. For a module like this, I almost never have any reason to go to the map layer of pre-loaded maps, as there is little, if anything, to change. Bear in mind that I love this adventure and I am spending a lot of time with it. The charactermancer does not add any languages for fairy characters. I suspect that it does the same for harengon characters. Thanks for both of these pieces of feedback. I've passed them along to the team. More generally, I've left this thread open much longer than normal! I'll be closing it now, if you happen to run into any other issues with Wild Beyond the Witchlight please don't hesitate to reach out through the Help Center for support.