Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

hacking

I came on to run my game. I opened my game and a person was commandeering my game placing drawings all over the background of geometric crap. Jovan B refused to stop, and I could not control my own site. I logged out (minutes before my game was scheduled to start) and kicked him off my game. How can a player come in and take over a game I was going to ref? I thought the GM/DM was the ONLY person that could control the game? How is this possible I did not grant this person permission to use my game for his geometric terrorism?!

Edited 1632628948
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Did you post your game's join link in the public's eye per chance?  Anyone that knows your game's join link can join your game as a player.  Players have access to a basic set of toolbar features including the drawing tools... Keep your join link private.  Only share it with your players. There is a script(requires pro) called " DryErase " that allows the GM to control drawing permissions.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Once you kick someone, your game generates a new join link, and the old one becomes inactive. If you keep the new one private, you should not have a repeat occurrence. 
What Keith said.  When I have a new game as soon as each of the players sign in and have access to the game, I sign in using my dummy account and the initial invite, then kick the dummy account from the game to generate a new link.  This stops anyone who stumbles upon the old link or a player who might injudiciously share the game link from becoming an issue. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's a good tip.

Edited 1632614190
Gold
Forum Champion
Anyone that you invited / let into the game, can use the Drawing tools by default. There's a lot of things they can't "take over" as a group member, but they can draw on the landing page. GM will be able to erase the drawings, and socially tell the person you don't want drawing on the page. Kicking them, will ensure they can't come back and do more drawings, if that's what you want.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
This is where having a Landing Page is helpful.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6813415/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/6813415/</a>

Edited 1632660388
"GM will be able to erase the drawings, and socially tell the person you don't want drawing on the page. Kicking them, will ensure they can't come back and do more drawings" none of the controls worked, it would not allow me to control anything, I could not erase the screen, nor use any of the controls. I could hear their side through my earphones, I told them to stop, several times - they didn't they just keep going, Jovan B had control of my game I had no control. That is different from what I was told Roll20 operates, as well as what was covered in the primer to run a game on Roll20. All I could do that did work was end the game, restart then kick the person off in the initial queue, which by the way did not even list them when I originally started. This why I was surprised by them being "instantly on" as soon as I opened the game. So from this how can a player have control of the map and all the features and I the GM have none?

Edited 1632679802
Jovan B refused to stop, and I could not control my own site none of the controls worked, it would not allow me to control anything, I could not erase the screen, nor use any of the controls. I could hear their side through my earphones, I told them to stop, several times - they didn't they just keep going, Jovan B had control of my game I had no control. This is definitely not normal game behavior, even for the case of an unauthorized player who got ahold of a join link. Please contact Roll20 directly about this security issue -- starting a ticket with the Help Center might be your best bet. Edit: Good point, keithcurtis! That's a more comforting thought than that a user could come in and deliberately lock the GM out. I hope being on the wrong layer was the explanation.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It also might have been that you were not on the token layer while they were doing this. While reacting under "emergency" conditions, it's easy to get flustered and forget steps.
Eve
Roll20 Team
Thank you all for trying to assist with this issue and for recommending that it be reported via the Help Center. We take every precaution with situations like this so while it's very likely that it's something simple like being on the wrong layer when trying to interact with these drawings we still want to make sure it's not more serious. We'll be investigating further on our end and while the results of that investigation won't be made public please don't hesitate to send in a help center request if you experience something that doesn't seem right. I'll be closing this thread at this time.