Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Umm... In one of my rooms, all NPC tokens are translucent on token layer

They become normal when moved to map layer <_< But yeah how to fix this?
The only way to fix this is to turn off explorer mode or to give yourself (and possibly everyone else) control over the tokens and turn on vision for them. This is apparently working as intended. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10223955/dynamic-lighting-updates-bugs-and-feedback/?pageforid=10380303#post-10380303" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10223955/dynamic-lighting-updates-bugs-and-feedback/?pageforid=10380303#post-10380303</a>

Edited 1633417365
JJL
Pro
Wait what? D: This is intended? Me not likey this change Seriously its bugs me a lot
The other way to fix this is to use LDL instead of UDL...just sayin....I'm honestly shocked anyone can run a live session with UDL, it has NEVER worked for everyone at the table for me.&nbsp;&nbsp;
Laurent
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
DM Eddie said: The other way to fix this is to use LDL instead of UDL...just sayin....I'm honestly shocked anyone can run a live session with UDL, it has NEVER worked for everyone at the table for me.&nbsp;&nbsp; Definitely the best way to fix it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Giving yourself control over all NPC tokens should fix the issue. But yeah, it's an unpopular design choice, confusing in its base behavior and and time-consuming to fix. As a pro user, you can do a very quick fix by using the token-mod AI and running: (!token-mod --set controlledby|GMNAME)&nbsp; where GMNAME is the your name in the game.&nbsp;
keithcurtis said: Giving yourself control over all NPC tokens should fix the issue. But yeah, it's an unpopular design choice, confusing in its base behavior and and time-consuming to fix. As a pro user, you can do a very quick fix by using the token-mod AI and running: (!token-mod --set controlledby|GMNAME)&nbsp; where GMNAME is the your name in the game.&nbsp; Minor detail: Giving yourself control over the NPC tokens and enabling vision &nbsp;should fix the issue for you, but not for your players.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
This is not the behavior I see. Do you have repro steps I could try? Here are screenshots from my game. In order to get GM view to be opaque, I must enable control and vision. For players, it makes no difference. All are opaque.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Laurent said: DM Eddie said: The other way to fix this is to use LDL instead of UDL...just sayin....I'm honestly shocked anyone can run a live session with UDL, it has NEVER worked for everyone at the table for me.&nbsp;&nbsp; Definitely the best way to fix it. Whereas I've had the opposite experience. UDL is now my system of preference.The only time I have had a map reveal problem was due to me switching around and moving a lot of stuff and forgetting to reset explorable darkness. I have once had the "light shows as black circle" issue, but a refresh fixed that. I have also yet to experience lag under UDL, though one of my players has, which he resolved by switching to MS Edge. Please note: I am just relating my personal experience for contrast. I know this is not true for everybody.

Edited 1633393025
keithcurtis said: This is not the behavior I see. Do you have repro steps I could try? Here are screenshots from my game. In order to get GM view to be opaque, I must enable control and vision. For players, it makes no difference. All are opaque. &lt;images&gt; The tokens aren't translucent in bright light when clearly visible.&nbsp; Switch your light source to dim or use night vision (dimming) and move the uncontrolled tokens closer to the edges.

Edited 1633399378
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Tokens near the edge are going to become translucent because of Explorer mode. It's part and parcel of how they become invisible when behind complete cover. That's a different phenomenon. You see less of them the dimmer the visibility. These screen shots are expected behavior (or at least expected by me): I can totally see how some might expect and want the token to stay opaque but dim, though. It's just never bothered me.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
However, I don't think they should ever be translucent for the GM. That makes no sense. The GM has to know where everything is, and there is no discernible difference between what is translucent and what is on the GM layer.

Edited 1633402397
keithcurtis said: Tokens near the edge are going to become translucent because of Explorer mode. It's part and parcel of how they become invisible when behind complete cover. That's a different phenomenon. You see less of them the dimmer the visibility. These screen shots are expected behavior (or at least expected by me): I can totally see how some might expect and want the token to stay opaque but dim, though. It's just never bothered me. I suppose you are correct - and that that is a different thing.&nbsp; And it does somewhat make sense when it's at the edge of nightvision.&nbsp; With explorer mode off, the game just needs to transition from colored tokens to blackness.&nbsp; The tokens just get darker.&nbsp; Whereas with explorer mode on you have to transition to the map still being there but the token being gone - so it fades out as you leave the nightvision circle (either abruptly or slowly with dimming). Where it gets weirder is with the dim light sliders.&nbsp; I'm sure the way they work is just leftover from how nightvision works because it uses the same code. This is what the player sees in explorer mode with global very dim light (and also a small torch for fun).&nbsp; This isn't the edge of vision - these guys aren't fading out of view.&nbsp; The player should be able to see everything here - just... dimly lit.&nbsp; It's weird to have those tokens faded out. For contrast, this is what the players sees without explorer mode which makes more sense and is more what I'd expect:

Edited 1633449584
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, I agree with what you are saying. I suspect that the number of options, sliders and settings adds complexity to the rendering rules. I'm honestly pretty satisfied with UDL, especially considering how far it's come from this time last year, when there was still a slate of major rendering problems. There are a handful of things I wish were done differently, like DL blocking lines rendering from centers instead of edges, but for me it's been pretty dependable. I just wish that problems with lag and revealing that others have encountered could be done away with.