Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Deal-Init - Players not seeing chat output from Deal-Init

I use the Deal-Init script in my Savage Worlds #SavageTitanfall campaign. Players in this campaign have two (2) Roll20 Characters: a character sheet for when they are in their Titans (Titan Character Sheet) and a separate character sheet when they are fighting outside their mechs (Pilot Character Sheet). One of my players has "Level-Headed" and "Improved Level-Headed Edges", which means that during initiative rounds, he is dealt 3 cards from the action deck.  When we first started using the Deal-Init script, he was able to see all the cards he was dealt (so he could pick the one he wanted to keep) in the chat log. This past gaming session, he could not see the cards in the chat. As GM, I see all the chat messages normally, but the player cannot see the chat output when they Turn Order has their Titan Character Tokens. The primary difference is that in the first session, he was using his "Pilot" Character sheet, and in the second session, he was using his "Titan" character sheet.  My JavaScript-Fu is not good enough to figure out why players are being included in the output when their Pilot character sheet token is on the turn order, but not when their Titan character sheet token is on the turn order. I've looked at the tokens carefully and verified that Token Name matches Pilot name, and that the character sheet is only owned by the player.  What else might be causing this behavior? 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Does the Titan Character Token represent the Titan Character Sheet?  And are the players controlling on the Titan Character Sheet (not just "in journal")?
Yes, the Titan token on the Roll20 Page is configured to represent a Character. When I ALT-double click on the token, I successfully pull up the character sheet -- so I'm confident (??? - LOL) that is configured correctly. When I open that (Titan) Character Sheet and click Edit, I can see that the titan character sheet is in "All Players" journals, and the owning player is the only person listed in "Can be Edited & Controlled By".
make sure you add the characters to the turn order on the current map. if you have moved from a previous map, clear the turn order and re add everyone before dealing. seems to clear it for me, anyway.
That's a possibility for what caused it this past play session. We were definitely transitioning between maps during this battle. The players had to overcome a skill challenge on the previous map to determine which round they would enter combat on the current map. When the first player arrived to the map (triggering the start of combat while his compatriots "caught up"), I added all Tokens to the map and created the turn order. At that moment, however, only the first player to arrive had been dragged to the map. The rest of the players were still behind on the "player ribbon" of the previous map.  I think what you're saying is that the script only captures the player ID at the time the token is added to the character order, so if turn order is created while players on a previous map, Deal-Init doesn't know their IDs and can never add them to the chat /w message.