Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can I do something so the DM doesn't have to adjust permissions after I export a character from my vault into a game?

I mostly play West Marches and Adventurers League, so I'm often exporting characters from my vault into games.   (D&D 5e by Roll20 character sheet)   After I export, the DM has to adjust permissions so I can access the character.  Is there anything I can do on my end so the DM doesn't have to do that?  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Unfortunately, the GM still needs to act as a sort of "gatekeeper" to imports into their game. If they are a Pro user with the API, there is a workaround with token-mod, but it requires granting players the ability to target tokens by their id, which in a West Marches style campaign is probably a bad id. It can wreak havoc unless there is a strong bond of trust that the power won't be abused.

Edited 1636486124
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think this might work: Export your character as normal. Then create a new game, where you are the DM, and import the character into that game. Set the character permissions to All Characters. Then export it again. You will then be able to import it to any game, and be able to access it. Admittedly, so will any other player, so you'll need to the GM to modify the permissions. But in this case, you can do stuff with the character before the GM intervenes, you dont have to wait until they respond. You might also just try exprting it while you are GN, withotu changing permissions. I have a vague recollection of that working, but my memory may be playing tricks with me.
GiGs said: I think this might work: Export your character as normal. Then create a new game, where you are the DM, and import the character into that game. Set the character permissions to All Characters. Then export it again. You will then be able to import it to any game, and be able to access it. Admittedly, so will any other player, so you'll need to the GM to modify the permissions. But in this case, you can do stuff with the character before the GM intervenes, you dont have to wait until they respond. You might also just try exprting it while you are GN, withotu changing permissions. I have a vague recollection of that working, but my memory may be playing tricks with me. Yeah, I have a "My Characters" game.   Setting the permissions to "all players" does let me open and edit my character, but so can anyone else.  This is not ideal.   What I want is to be able to set the permissions like this:   and have that work in the other game. But it doesn't work.   It's a pain-point for both players and DMs.  Players don't have access to their character sheets until the DM intervenes, and the DM has to intervene on every character sheet that's imported.  
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
PunyPaladin said: What I want is to be able to set the permissions like this:   and have that work in the other game. But it doesn't work.   It's a pain-point for both players and DMs.  Players don't have access to their character sheets until the DM intervenes, and the DM has to intervene on every character sheet that's imported.  The problem is, I believe, that roll20 doesnt use your name (PunyPaladin) to define who has access to a character. It uses an ID code (which looks like a long string of letters and numbers). Two people can have the same name, PunyPaladin, but they cannot have the same hidden ID. The trick is, when you first join a new game, the ID is generated randomly, and your visible name PunyPaladin is linked to it. Your Player ID is different for every game you are in. This means the ID assigned to your character in one game doesnt match that same ID in another game, which means the GM must assign it anew. There is no way around this. I think a Pro subscriber GM could have a script that automatically assigns ownership of any character you personally import, but that only helps if your GM is a Pro subscriber and competent enough to create such a script. (I dont know if anyone has written such a script already.) But for those less than Pro subscribers, there's no solution other than the manual one of setting ownership to All before importing.