Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Share vision between characters

.Hell
Sheet Author
I am playing with the UDL and want my players to share their vision, but without allowing to control the sheet. Is this possible? Scripts are also fine
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It's not possible without the API, and there isn't an API script that provides that functionality currently.  There are a few scripts for in-person or streaming play that provide a player with different views depending on what is going on and how it's configured, but those don't work well with UDL right now because of a bug. I think you could accomplish this in a bit of a manual fashion with the TokenCondition script and some clever configuration on a transparent graphic.  I'd build on that idea to create a script to do this if I were going to attempt it.
Some experimentation might be needed, but my approach would be to have a sheet with a default invisible token that players can control, and use the Carrytokens script to have each player's token 'carry' a copy of the invisible token. Obviously, the invisible token would be set up with vision (you wouldn't need to have the player's individual tokens have sight).
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
That's exactly what I'm talking about with TokenCondition, but either one would probably work.
Hmmm, I'm gonna have to check out TokenCondition - Carry Tokens can sometimes be a bit quirky. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I can't promise a lack of quirks, but let me know if you run across any. =D

Edited 1636705389
.Hell
Sheet Author
I looked at TokenCondition and keithcurtis had a solution with a torch . But it seems that the attributes he described do not exist anymore. I would like to do it in a way that the players cannot accidently interact with the vision token.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Hmm.  I'll have to test, but it might be possible to build a script that puts the follow token on the map layer.  I can't remember if tokens grant vision from that layer to players.  My guess is they don't, but I can check.

Edited 1636742687
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'd need to update it for UDL, but my first script was actually for this. Sharevision. Unfortunately, the stacking change Roll20 did a few years ago screws with the stacking of the tokens created by it.
If you want vision to be shared but not literal vision, you could turn on LDL and use AFOW which stores the memory of traveled spaces between all players but doesn't reveal tokens unless you have direct sight on things.  
.Hell
Sheet Author
Scott C. said: I'd need to update it for UDL, but my first script was actually for this. Sharevision. Unfortunately, the stacking change Roll20 did a few years ago screws with the stacking of the tokens created by it. Any luck yet? If you are short on time I could also take a look, maybe I get something done :)
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The Aaron said: Hmm.  I'll have to test, but it might be possible to build a script that puts the follow token on the map layer.  I can't remember if tokens grant vision from that layer to players.  My guess is they don't, but I can check. It doesn't seem to work - players can see light cast from the map & DL layers, but the tokens won't grant vision.

Edited 1637827321
.Hell
Sheet Author
Anyone got an update? Or some sources I can look at to get it done myself? Is it possible with the twins script to have to tokens on the same layer? Thanks
.Hell
Sheet Author
Polling for another update?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I'll be working on it tomorrow.
.Hell
Sheet Author
Thanks a lot. If I can assist write me a pm :)