Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Whispering to a player from a macro

Edited 1637362971
I have a PC Tools menu that is a token action macro.  It provides my player access to various things like DoorKnocker (to open/close unlocked doors), Radar macros (for detect magic and the like) and others.  In my last game, one of my players could click the button and all players have access to the macro, but nothing displayed in the chat.  I think my whisper settings are wrong (I don't want to clutter chat every time someone clicks this).  Is there a way to whisper to the player when they select their token and click the macro button?  This is my macro.  I thought /w @{selected|token_name} would work but it did not appear to :( /w @{selected|token_name} &{template:desc} {{desc=**PC Tools** ** Spells ** [Mirror Image](!
#Mirror Image) ** Environment ** [Open/Close Doors](!
#Door) ** Detection ** [Detect Magic](!
#DetectMagic) | [Detect Good/Evil](!
#DetectGood&Evil) ** Senses ** [Blind Sight](!
#BlindSight) | [TremorSense](!
#Tremorsense) }}
I cut and pasted it into chat and it worked for me. How are you calling the macro? Is it listed as a token action on a character sheet, or a collection macro? What character sheet are you using for this game, and is it the same as your previous game?
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
A couple of things - firstly, you can't whisper to a Token. Using /w @{token_ name} will only work when a Token name matches a Character name, as it will whisper to that Character. A Character whisper goes either to the controlling players, or the GM if there are none. If the Token has a different name to the Character, the whisper will fail altogether - /w "@{selected|character_name}" will work on any token that is linked to a character sheet. The quotation marks help the parser with names containing spaces. Secondly, that Mirror Image macro looks like a Collections macro - those aren't allowed to have spaces in their names. That shouldn't stop the rest of the macro from working, but it will stop Mirror Image from working.
Thanks, I was thinking that maybe character name was the better option here.  I always set my in-game name to match my token name, but I am playing with others that don't.  And I think I just mistyped the mirror image macro (all it does it prompt for how many images are left and rolls to see if you or an image was hit)