Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Emoji in handout titles now black and white

I have a list of summoned creatures for easy reference for my players, and since the last update, the emoji displayed in my handout titles are now black and white. They look like this: You can see it even more clearly when the handout is open: They used to look like this, as they do inside the summary handout: When I actually edit the handouts, I can see them as they should be: My other players are seeing it too, so I don't think it has anything to do my Chrome settings. But, just in case it does, I am on Version 96.0.4664.45 (Official Build) (64-bit).  Why was this changed? The colors made it easy to skim the handout list and quickly find the elements you wanted to summon or look up. It's not a big deal to have them go black and white, but it detracts from our experience. Is there any chance it could be changed back in a future update? PS - If this should be on another forum, feel free to move it. Thanks for listening!
Gold
Forum Champion
just checked, my Handout Folders that have emoji are still looking regular (color emojis). I'll have to test it on an actual handout title to see if i can replicate your experience
Gold said: just checked, my Handout Folders that have emoji are still looking regular (color emojis). I'll have to test it on an actual handout title to see if i can replicate your experience Thank you for looking. They are fine for me inside  the handouts, too, but the titles are in black and white in the menu (the "w" or right-side panel where they are listed). Maybe this will help to explain it:
This also changed for me across the entire site. It may be an update with how Chrome handles emojis.
Same problem here, I really hope a fix comes soon, thank you for posting about it
Gold
Forum Champion
Teller said: This also changed for me across the entire site. It may be an update with how Chrome handles emojis. Could you test that theory by loading your game in Firefox and look?
I don't use Firefox, but I did try Edge (which I know is unsupported) and I'm seeing the same thing, black and white emoji in the handout titles. Separately, I found several discussions on the web about the same issue but unrelated to roll20. In those, it said the Segoe UI font has two versions, and to use Segoe UI Emoji for colorful emojis and Segoe UI Symbol for black and white ones. Do we know which front roll20 is using? 
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Edge is based on Chromium now, and it may do the same as Chrome. I've got Firefox installed so I'll check it when I get home. 
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
It might actually be a Windows thing...I'm on a Mac and here's Firefox: And here's Chrome:

Edited 1637599628
Thanks for the detective work, @Finderski. Next I decided to research the problem specifically for Chrome: As of November 15th I had a similar problem with my emojis. I'm making use of&nbsp; node-emoji . They turned black and white in Google Chrome only (after an update of Google Chrome). Before this update everything was fine.&nbsp; I figured out that this happens because I applied &nbsp; font-weight: bold &nbsp; to that emoji. When I applied normal weight to it, the emoji went back to their colorful self :-). Could it be the combination of a Chrome Update and a bold font weight in the heading?&nbsp; The answer is... YES!&nbsp; I went into my handout where I had used the emoji and then I bolded just one set. Boom!&nbsp; They turned black and white: You can also see the problem confirmed here:&nbsp; <a href="https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/136127348/chrome-bold-weight-emoji-broken-version-93-0-4664-45?hl=en" rel="nofollow">https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/136127348/chrome-bold-weight-emoji-broken-version-93-0-4664-45?hl=en</a> I'm not sure of the best way to report this to Chrome, guys, but if you're a Chrome user, let's report it.&nbsp;
Gold
Forum Champion
Interesting (and yuck).&nbsp; So you're finding this has to do with BOLDED emoji (in Chrome?), and not blamed on the font-file&nbsp; Segoe UI Emoji &nbsp; &nbsp;previously suspected? I guess that we are not surprised that Handout Titles in the Journals list, are BOLDED.&nbsp; Just bummed that (the newest Chrome?) (adds this "feature" for bolded emojis?)
Gold said: So you're finding this has to do with BOLDED emoji (in Chrome?), and not blamed on the font-file&nbsp; Segoe UI Emoji &nbsp; &nbsp;previously suspected? Whether or not a font change could prevent it I'm not sure. What I can reproduce myself is that bolding the emoji, inside a handout, within Chrome, will turn them from color to black and white. Chrome does update fairly frequently so I'm hoping that within in the next update or two we'll see it revert.&nbsp;