Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Make Charater sheet roll buttons into macro's

So my work flow when I'm creating characters for my campaign is to do as follows Create a new character by duplicating a template I have Adjusting the values in various fields ( Dexterity, weapon skill, ect) Adding custom text into an adjacent field for special ability description/extra rules Hitting the 'Roll' button to test the ability. Once ability is good, I hit the 'up' key in the text box, which then shows me my most recent macro Going over to the abilities and attributes tab paste that macro, verbatim into the box Set as token action Test again The reason I do this, is because while I want the sheet to generate the math, having to keep the sheets of 8 or 9 characters during a chaotic combat and finding the right button to press is hard. I like the token actions since i can click the thing and get the button I need. So what would be awesome, is the ability to take any 'roll' button inside the character sheet, and turn it into a macro instantly. Then all you need to do is make it a token action and it always shows up when you have him selected. Either that, or some way to mark an action on a charactersheet itself as a token action. Both would achieve the same end.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
I bet I could write an API script that would at least automate some of that for you.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Not to detract from the suggestions, because I'd love to have some character sheet buttons become token actions.
If you move the "set as token action" step up to the template creation, duplicating the template will duplicate the token action too. I start my campaigns out by creating two characters: "Empty Character" for PCs (using /r to roll) and "Empty NPC" for NPCs/monsters (using /emas to let players know that a roll is being made and /gmroll to roll). Once I've set up all the attributes and abilites on those characters, everything else starts life as a copy of one or the other of them. That said, I'll certainly add my vote for a "token action" checkbox for each roll button on a character sheet.
Most of my Macro's really don't duplicate across characters Manveti, though your correct, that would save me a step. For the most part I use generic macros for things like basic attacks. This is more about 3 or 4 powers i might apply to specific characters. I'm pretty familiar with API Aaron, and have done a few scripts already. Thing is, I basically use the character sheet to help build a 'Honey Badger' Style custom power card. So the players just put a description and a few variables into a text field. It pre-programs most of that macro for me, which is why I do it that way. The Badger macros can get pretty big and complicated. I suppose I could grab all the stuff with an API script and create the macro with that .. they are all attributes after all. Thanks for the thought.
Also though i have a potential hacky solution ... this should still be a thing. :)