Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Taking hours to upload a 5mb webm video???

Is anyone else experiencing this? I have tried multiple files and several days in a row now to no avail. The bar just does not move.
Gold
Forum Champion
Eeek. So your video is already webm format? I experience this issue when uploading some GIF, and thought it might have to do with roll20 converting the file format to (webm or webp?) I haven't found any solution or workaround, however I have sometimes found that the GIF(converted) appears on the tabletop (the next day/ hours later) eventually. I think there's been times the graphic appeared on the tabletop following a refresh, after seeing the progress bar stalled mid-way.  So it looked half-finished on the bar, but was in-fact completely finished in the background. That was after waiting hours though.  I think something is broken with this. Anyone know what's going-on in the background for these uploads? Why would it take so much longer than other file-types of similar filesize? 

Edited 1639259572
Gold said: Eeek. So your video is already webm format? I experience this issue when uploading some GIF, and thought it might have to do with roll20 converting the file format to (webm or webp?) I haven't found any solution or workaround, however I have sometimes found that the GIF(converted) appears on the tabletop (the next day/ hours later) eventually. I think there's been times the graphic appeared on the tabletop following a refresh, after seeing the progress bar stalled mid-way.  So it looked half-finished on the bar, but was in-fact completely finished in the background. That was after waiting hours though.  I think something is broken with this. Anyone know what's going-on in the background for these uploads? Why would it take so much longer than other file-types of similar filesize?  I have tried mp4 and webm. I have even tried scrubbing audio from them first so the conversion on the Roll20 side has LESS to do. I'll be honest this is just unacceptable for a feature I'm paying for not to work. It's almost 2022, uploading a tiny video file like this to use on the platform should be a piece of cake. 
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Based on the anecdotal experiences of me and a few users (.5MB-1.5MB for me 7MB for others), it takes about 40 minutes per MB to upload... if it is successful . If it fails, it fails silently. That's 40min/MB of leaving the computer on, logged in, and active, possibly without leaving the window. The procedure is obviously broken and has been so for years.
Gold
Forum Champion
I meant mp4 not GIF in my post above. Forgetful/typo on my part.  Brian C. said: That's 40min/MB of leaving the computer on, logged in, and active, possibly without leaving the window. The procedure is obviously broken and has been so for years. It's been that way since the introduction of mp4 upload ability on this site. (Couple years or so)
Brian C. said: Based on the anecdotal experiences of me and a few users (.5MB-1.5MB for me 7MB for others), it takes about 40 minutes per MB to upload... if it is successful . If it fails, it fails silently. That's 40min/MB of leaving the computer on, logged in, and active, possibly without leaving the window. The procedure is obviously broken and has been so for years. Which is 100% unacceptable. We should not have to accept that's 'just the way it is' because.  I'm not really sure how they can charge what they do with straight face and not address these issues. Especially as other platforms for VTT are emerging with better options.