Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is it possible to prevent Chat from popping out (or get it back where it started without reloading the screen)?

I like my chat to stay right where it starts, but for some reason, it keeps popping out of the right sidebar and into it's own browser page. Is there any way to lock Roll20 so that the chat window NEVER pops out? Failing that, is there a way to get the chat window back to where it was without refreshing the browser page?
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
That happens when you double-click on the Chat icon. Closing the window doesn't restore normal Chat tab behaviour. It used to, so I think you should use the Help Center and Send a request to report it to the Roll20 team. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have sent at least three requests on this subject over a period of two years. It is not likely to change soon. It is a quirk specific to a particular update to Chrome, that may be harder to fix than it looks. Still, one would have hoped that 2 years of reports would prompt the work necessary for a solution.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
JP said: I like my chat to stay right where it starts, but for some reason, it keeps popping out of the right sidebar and into it's own browser page. Is there any way to lock Roll20 so that the chat window NEVER pops out? Failing that, is there a way to get the chat window back to where it was without refreshing the browser page? I know that if you click on the x (close) in the top right corner of the popout, it should have the chat show back in the default place aka in the right sidebar. This should not require you to refreshing the browser. It should also reset your chat to where it should stay in the sidebar. This is based on me experimenting with the browser.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Pat S. said: I know that if you click on the x (close) in the top right corner of the popout, it should have the chat show back in the default place aka in the right sidebar. This should not require you to refreshing the browser. It should also reset your chat to where it should stay in the sidebar. This is based on me experimenting with the browser. Unless something has changed very recently, this has not been true on Chrome for over 2 years. What browser and OS are you testing on?

Edited 1639536964
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I was using Chrome  Version 96.0.4664.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)  on Windows 10 and it worked for me. It has always done that for me. Maybe I have a weird computer.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
All I was doing is open up the test game then just double click on the chat tab button to pop it out I then just click on the X in the top right corner of the pop out and it goes back to how it was when I first opened the game. It has always worked for me which is why I stated what I did and assumed it was the normal function.

Edited 1639539064
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Very strange. This bug has been reported many, many times over the last two years. I wonder what is making it work for you.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
That I don't know. I don't use many extensions in my chrome. I have 11 and only 1 is targeted at advertisements and such. The rest are more for office work such as spellchecker, office editing for docs, sheets, and such, epub reader, and a few more.
Definitely does not work in my setup. X'ing out the Chat window closes the window -- and then there's no way to see Chat at all. 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm sorry that it does not work for you like it does for me. A clip of it on my youtube . It is about 17 seconds long to show what it does for me.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Doesn't work for me on Mac Chrome or Chromebook, even in a private browsing window.
Hey, I remembered that I fixed it once before and have been trying to remember what did I do. And I found it. I right-clicked the top of the pop-out window and clicked reload (ctrl+r) and the chat returned for me. I'm not sure if it'll work anywhere else tho. Hope that helps!

Edited 1641663167
JP
Plus
Woot, that does work -- thanks, Asa!!  No more F5 to reload the entire page!
JP said: Woot, that does work -- thanks, Asa!!  No more F5 to reload the entire page! Eyy~ Glad I could help, then! Enjoy!