Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Isometric tokens: with or without a base?

Stelliadi
Marketplace Creator
Hi! I'm a marketplace creator and I mainly make isometric perspective stuff! I've been uploading my tokens using a circle base underneath them to help with the measures when using isometric perspective, but since I have the version without base too, I was wondering what you think would be more useful. What would you recommend me? Here's a couple of comparisons: Thank you!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I would test to see how well they snap to the Roll20 grids. But if asked my preference, I would say without base, but perhaps with a faded shadowy oval area where the base would be to "ground" the character. The reason I suggest no hard edged base is that some maps are isometric and some dimetric, and a hard edged base might not work well on both. But definitely test against an actual grid. Currently they are a Pro subscriber feature only, but if you have a Pro contact see if you can get an invite to a testing game.
Gold
Forum Champion
The ones without a base are, I think, more flexible for using alternatively in views like Side-Scroller scenes, or different art-geometry perspectives. I'm someone who will mix-and-match. Either way though, your art looks awesome!  I could certainly see the benefits of having the base, along with a consistent isometric appearance. 
Xenobunny
Marketplace Creator
Is there a quick and convenient way to attach the base layer beneath tokens/figures with a consistent alignment? Personally I do like the suggestion of a faded shadow or highlight oval beneath the characters. If we were to go absolutely nuts with it, the UI could allow for preset field parameters that would display status effects, ect. at desirable and consistent points around or below your base layer. This might be ideal as isometric figures depart from the graphic symmetry of square or round tokens (it might be quicker to identify status icons if they are adjacent or below the big flat base oval layer). It's a tough call but I think you could include a selection of base layer ovals for DMs to place under the character art and hope there is a way to bind the objects together as a group so you can move em around esier. I need more time in the GM trainer to know what's possible. layer groups I say! I like that there medusa. Can I get her in rattlesnake tan with gold?
Hi all, I have a question and i couldn't find an answer on the forum. Why is it that when you drag an isometric token from library (alt+drag doesn't work either) on an isometric gridded map, the token appears flat and vertical instead of keeping the perspective... Is there a subtil way to drag those and keep them iso ? Thanks

Edited 1642269207
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It depends on how old the marketplace item is. Only newer ones (last two years) were saved with metadata for height and width. This data is expressed in terms of integers, corresponding to grid units. This works perfectly for square gridded maps. Unfortunately, isometric values do not mathematically correspond to these integer values. It's possible there will be an update to this in the future (I would hope), but currently, isometric grids are an introductory, and (I would say) experimental feature. More technically, there are three possible values a marketplace seller can give to a graphic's H/W values: null:null  This may not be possible to enter on newer sets. 1:1 (default on newer sets) #:# (or rather, specific integers, the newer preference) These values give different behaviors when dragged: null:null will drag in 1u:1u or 3u:3u depending on layer, and alt will constrain them to native aspect ratio. Intended size is not possible, of course 1:1 will drag in at 1u:1u, regardless of layer or modifier keys. My guess is that this has something to do with not setting a value, but leaving it at the default. #:# will drag in at intended size, as will alt When I use the value u above, this refers to square grid units. Please note, the above is based on personal testing and investigation with the browser's Inspector tools It may be inaccurate in its assumptions. TL;DR: Isometric grids are a new, developing feature, and are not yet mathematically supported by the marketplace

Edited 1642271567
Actually after more testing, the tiles are not working, the elements like arches and so on, are placed as a perspective angle. Size is another matter I haven't bothered investigating as the floors wouldn't even be accurate to the grid. TBH, i'm far from starting thinking about using a 3d map lol
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Can you post the name of the set you are working with? I might be able to suggest something.