Some time ago, keith discovered a new macro trick , and figured I'd make a post mentioning what I found: original trick description: Wrapping Multiline Chat messages in Brackets It's fairly common knowledge that you can use shift-return in chat to create a paragraph break without sending the message*. However, this can lead to problems if you precede the message with a chat command such as /w or /em . Only the first line is affected by the command: /w gm 1 2 results in: (To GM): 1 GM (GM):2 .. with only the first line being whispered. The Trick: /w gm {{{1 2}}} Results in: (To GM): 1 2 In this last case, line breaks are preserved and the entire message is affected by the chat command. Triple bracket Macros - linebreaks If you wrap a chat message in triple brackets {{{ }}} , Roll20 will interpret everything inside as being part of the same command, and doesn't show the bracket in the chat either. Less risk of accidentally whispering first part of a message. copypasting message into the chat becomes easier, as you don't have to remove linebreaks and adjust the text Drawback: It seems text in {{{ }}} can't use Markdown to style the output Example: /desc commands as a GM becomes much nicer with {{{ }}} , as you can copypaste the full description with linebreaks and all: /desc {{{Et expedita repudiandae eius repellendus quo fuga ut fugit. Quisquam quidem qui at esse pariatur est. Ea saepe aut dolorem cum. Quis mollitia quisquam nemo incidunt repudiandae soluta. Perspiciatis quaerat esse dolor. Deserunt in culpa placeat. Illum illum sequi ducimus. Officiis illo expedita deserunt ab necessitatibus est officia dignissimos.}}} Example: whisper a template msg to GM, making replies slightly more structured /w gm {{{ Name: ?{Name|} Level: ?{Level|1} HP: [[3d6+2]] Notes: ?{Notes?|} }}} Alternative - use %NEWLINE% If you only care about the output having linebreaks, but don't mind if the command is on a single line, you could instead use roll20's %NEWLINE% macro trick I wrote about last year. By using %NEWLINE% instead of the triple brackets, you can still use Markdown for styling the results, along having the linebreaks: Example: /w gm **Name:** ?{Name|} %NEWLINE% **Level** ?{Level|1} %NEWLINE% **HP** [[3d6+2]] %NEWLINE% *Notes* ?{Notes?|} Macro Documentation (Community Wiki) Complete Guide to Macros & Rolls Macro Formatting Roll Templates