Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

A Sheet Author's Journey - The Beginning

Edited 1648660182
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
A Sheet Author's Journey - The Beginning Got a system you want to play on Roll20, but it doesn’t have a character sheet already created? Then this is the blog series for you! If you're just curious what the heck the K-scaffold is, then this series is for you too! We’ll be going through the process of creating a character sheet by making a sheet for use on Roll20 from scratch. Over the next several weeks we’ll be creating a character sheet for  The Hero’s Journey, 2nd edition , which does not currently have a sheet on Roll20. Each week we’ll cover a different aspect of creating the sheet, from setting up the project to coding the sheetworkers that will power it, and even how to submit it to Roll20 so everyone can use it. Series Posts The Beginning Do the Pug Repeating Sections and sheetworkers Style and Layout Finding our Flair! Roll on! What is a character sheet? Just like a paper character sheet, a Roll20 character sheet template is a graphical interface for updating the attributes of a character. Unlike that paper character sheet, we need to use computer code to create the template. This includes HTML to create the actual elements that we’ll interact with, CSS to style those elements so that they look nice, and javascript to power and automate the sheet. How do you make a Roll20 character sheet? You can make a character sheet with just raw HTML and CSS, but there are some great tools to make the process easier. For this project we're going to use these additional tools: PUG : PUG is a templating language for HTML. This will let us write less actual code than if we were to write the sheet in pure HTML. Additionally, our code will look cleaner and be easier to read and understand. SCSS : Just like PUG allows us to write less HTML, SCSS allows us to write less CSS and make our styling easier to understand. The K-scaffold : The K-scaffold is a library of PUG and Javascript functions that allow us to write Roll20 specific code easier. Don't worry, it doesn't require learning a new language or have an onerous syntax. A Code editor: A code editor helps when writing code because it gives us syntax highlighting and other code based abilities. For this project, I'll be writing my code in Visual Studio Code , which is a powerful and free code editor. Prepros : Prepros is a program that automates parsing our PUG and SCSS into HTML and CSS. You can do without Prepros, but will need to use the command line interface to generate HTML and CSS from PUG. With these five tools, we'll make a stylish and powerful sheet for Hero's Journey . Let's get Started Ok, we've got our tools and we know what system we're making a sheet for. How do we start? The two things that I do at the start of every project are sketch out a design for the sheet and setup my project's folder structure. Sketch a design The best place to start when tackling a new sheet is to figure out the design for the sheet. This can be as in depth as you want it to be. I typically spend a little time sketching out a wireframe of how the sheet is going to be layed out. Here's what I'm thinking of for the Hero's Journey sheet: This sketch will be my guide for how to structure the code of the sheet. The final layout and design of the sheet will almost certainly change from this, but this gives us a roadmap of things that we need to create and prepare for. So, what have I thought about while making this sketch? We are making a sheet in a different medium from the original paper character sheet. The Roll20 character sheet doesn't have a maximum (or minimum) height since a user can scroll if needed. The width of the sheet is dynamic as well and might be enlarged to cover an ultra-wide monitor or pulled up on one side of a small laptop screen. Our design should be able to adapt to any width across this spectrum. This means making a responsive design. I've found that the easiest way to do a responsive design is to build your sheet in columns when possible. Then elements can collapse into a neighboring column if the sheet is too narrow, or expand into additional columns if it is very wide. We can make this more dynamic by using media queries to create more complex layouts at given widths, but this should be kept to a minimum as trying to program in a style for all possible usecases is an excellent way to fail your sanity check! The layout sketch I've made doesn't look like it will easily do this, but let's see if we can find a way once we get to the styling. In addition to the responsiveness of the design we need to consider why the sections on the paper sheet take up the space that they do. Paper sheets frequently provide lots of space for areas where a character might need a range of things. Sections like weapons, abilities, equipment, and spells can be turned into a repeating section on a Roll20 sheet. We’ll cover how to do this when we get to actual code, but for now a repeating section is just a section of the sheet that users can dynamically add content to. This means that these areas will initially take up much less room on our sheet than they do on the paper sheet, but could grow to be much larger than they are on the paper sheet. The final consideration isn't a layout one at all. It's a stylistic problem. This paper sheet has lots of nice graphical elements to it to make it look like each section is a scrap of parchment. We’ll need to keep in mind that copying that aesthetic on a digital sheet with sections that can grow and shrink dynamically is difficult, so we may need to find a different styling option for our digital sheet, but that's something we'll tackle when we get to the SCSS. Setup Project Structure This probably seems like a minor thing, and in terms of time spent it is! But, making sure that we know where our code is going to reside while we work on it and how it's going to be organized can save us time down the road when we're hunting for bugs or even just trying to remember where a file that we haven't looked at in a month is. Here's how I'm going to setup my folder structure for the Hero's Journey sheet: - thj2e folder   - scaffold  folder : This will hold the code of the K-scaffold.   - javascript  folder : This will hold all of the sheetworkers that we're going to write to power the sheet   - mixins  folder : This will hold our project specific PUG and SCSS mixins that we'll inevitably create to automate some of our code generation   - articles  folder : We'll divide our sheet code up into sections that will get stored in here with each one in it's own folder   - system.pug: Our master PUG file that will assemble our full sheet's html for us   - system.scss: Our master SCSS file   - sheet.json: The JSON file that will tell the Roll20 Repo what to do with our sheet files when we finally upload them to the repository   - translation.json: The JSON file that will store all of our translation keys and values for crowdin to generate the language specific files from.   - system.html: The sheet's HTML that PUG will generate for us. We may never actually look at the raw code in this file   - system.css: The sheet's CSS that SCSS will generate for us. We may never actually look at the raw code in this file What's next? We obviously haven't done any coding yet. We'll start with writing the first bit of PUG for the sheet next week and see where that takes us. Want to support this blog series? Drop by the Kurohyou Studios Patreon ! See the previous Blog post about the K-scaffold  |   Check out the Repository   | See the Next post EDIT: Fixed some typos
Gold
Forum Champion
Thank you for helping the Community with this. I don't understand it all yet, but can see that Scott has put in a lot of work here to make it easier to follow. I hope these efforts help a lot of new creators of character sheets.
Matt P.
Plus
Sheet Author
To get ready to follow along, I've installed Prepos and grabbed your scaffold files from Github and set up my project folder as you describe (although there are no .scss or .css files in your k-scaffold example, but I assume those will get created as we go through the steps).  However, it's not clear to me if/how to install PUG (their webpage says it's "available via NPM" but I am not familiar with that - do I need to also install it so that I can install PUG?)  install SASS (the linked page that goes to SASS has multiple different releases, do I need to get one from Github?) Remember, I'm not really a developer so these may be obvious things to someone who is familiar with libraries, etc. but I'm not...

Edited 1644265791
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Matt! Welcome to the journey! Prepros should take care of installing PUG and SCSS for you on its own, so you don't need to do a command line installation of PUG or SCSS via NPM. To be more precise, the compiler for these should be included in Prepros. As for what NPM is, it's a package distribution service and registry that allows you to download and install various code frameworks for use in projects. Tomorrow, I'll have some actual code that will be up and you can test out prepros' compiling then.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Following... Thanks Scott
I will follow this a well I believe PUG was recommended to me a while back, and it been ages since I used Sass
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thanks to everyone that's following. The second post is up !

Edited 1647000008
Nick Turner
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Loving this series so far, and trying to follow along. One thing to note is that I had a little difficulty following your folder structure, since a) in the forum post, it's hard to tell the difference between levels ("-" and "  -" look pretty similar in a variable width font with a large white margin to the left of it), and b) in the repo for the week 2 example, you have 4 of the files in both the root folder and inside thj2e (and they're different files, system.pug is fully commented in one location and uncommented in the other, for instance). Otherwise looking good so far, and I hope it'll make this noobs* journey easier. *I can code well, but never cared for webdev much, which is annoying as I now really want to make a better version of a sheet.