Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dark Mode changes Font and a few other menus without notice

The original font of Helvetica Neue seems to be changed entirely to Proxima Nova when dark mode is toggled on. This is rather jarring as Proxima Nova is fairly smaller than the original font Roll20 had been using. I'm uncertain if this was a desired feature to actively change the font at all as it makes text much less readable in dark mode vs light mode. Every normal menu in Dark Mode is also suddenly rounded at the corners, which once again, causes multiple elements to shift such as the interface, zoom buttons, and send/speak as menus. Additionally, this change in font affects every piece of text in the Roll20 tabletop, text logs, chat box, macro text, name plates. Could we please have consistency between the light and dark modes own text at the bare minimum? Smaller text sizes on a darker background does not improve readability, it's hindering a few players ability to use the new mode dark mode's benefit of less overall white.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
It didn't do any favors for the default template either.  And it overrides any templates that were based on the default template and have a light background in the body. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What's the issue with the default template? The poor contrast in table results?
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
The rolls aren't exactly great either.

Edited 1646272976
Mark S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
So while in Dark Mode, I have texts in handouts that are alternating from white to a black that is almost not visible.  I've even tried selecting all of the text and setting it to black. That doesn't work either. Not sure what is going on with this.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Roll Template Defaults are known issues with fixes coming for additional contrast, but custom templates that rely on one of the defaults (like this blue and white  one) will toggle with a user's choice. Care should be taken to either be specific with the colors of choose colors that work for both defaults. The handout text will alternate with the color mode choice when the default color is selected.
Gold
Forum Champion
Roll20 has a Bug thread dedicated to the new Dark Mode now, if you want to Post and Follow along there too: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10728562/dark-mode-vtt-bug-thread/?pageforid=10728562#post-10728562" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/10728562/dark-mode-vtt-bug-thread/?pageforid=10728562#post-10728562</a>
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Mark S. said: So while in Dark Mode, I have texts in handouts that are alternating from white to a black that is almost not visible.&nbsp; I've even tried selecting all of the text and setting it to black. That doesn't work either. Not sure what is going on with this. Responding here, since I'm not sure you have switched to the main feedback thread and wanted to supply a (hopefully) useful answer. Any custome formatting you do is set and disregards dark mode. Darmode affects the base styles. So instead of removing color, try removing styling. Select your text and hit the remove styling button. That will preserve the paragraph styles (H1, H2, etc), but remove the character level styling. The dark mode knows how to change built in styling, but whenever it encounters character level styling ("make this word red"), it doesn't have a general rule of what to do with "red" so it leaves it alone. When dealing with character level styling, it does the same thing with "black". It thinks you really want that font to be "black", no matter what, so it doesn't touch it.