Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

players speaking as (hidden) characters

Why is it that players in my game can see and speak as characters they have no business knowing exist? I mean, really. Sure, it's funny the first time they speak as somebody like the BBEG, but then you realize they can see the names of ALL the characters. Is this working as intended? Am I misunderstanding something?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Check permissions on those characters. I can only speak as those that I have permission to control.

Edited 1647649699
Paul
Plus
Done. Long before I posted this. They do not. And yet they can. Edit:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6549020/can-you-make-a-character-not-show-up-as-a-dialogue-option-as-gm" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6549020/can-you-make-a-character-not-show-up-as-a-dialogue-option-as-gm</a> So, not exactly a new problem. Or am I misunderstanding things?
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Interesting! I suggest creating a Free test account for yourself and joining your game so you can troubleshoot quicker using 2 browsers.&nbsp; Don’t forget to use the Help Center and Send a request to get Roll20 staff attention and a ticket to track your issue. It’s mostly community help here.&nbsp;
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Paul said: Done. Long before I posted this. They do not. And yet they can. Edit:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6549020/can-you-make-a-character-not-show-up-as-a-dialogue-option-as-gm" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6549020/can-you-make-a-character-not-show-up-as-a-dialogue-option-as-gm</a> So, not exactly a new problem. Or am I misunderstanding things? That thread states that if the player does not have permissions, those characters do not appear in the drop down. The poster is asking about Macro Mule characters, which of necessity players must have permission to control, but are not "characters". I just logged on using my&nbsp; Dummy Account &nbsp;and only those characters specifically assigned to that account show up in the list, about 20, as opposed to the near-200 that exist in the campaign, and that I can see as a gm. I know you said you checked permissions, so I ask only out of thoroughness, not because I think you are doing anything wrong: You have denied both permissions: "control" and "in journal"?
Thx, Keith. Problem solved.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Phew! Excellent!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Huzzah!
Separate from the issue of your players seeing a list of characters they they shouldn't &nbsp;see in the 'Speaking As' list, if your players have characters in that list they they are supposed to have access to, but aren't true 'characters', they can use Stylus to hide those characters from the list, or to only display the characters they should see.&nbsp; For example, I use the ' Language Trick ' to be able to only whisper between characters who understand the same language, or for some ' Macro Mules ', or for spell templates, so I don't want those to show up in the 'Speaking As' list, but I do &nbsp;want my players to have Edit &amp; Control access to them. Here's the code: /* Hide Specific Character */ #speakingas option[value=character\|character_id] { display: none; } /* Hide all BUT specific characters */ #speakingas option:not([value=player\|player_id]):not([value=character\|character_id]) { display: none; } Example code: #speakingas option:not([value=character\|-KHIA-W9OoZp9eE6UdWy]):not([value=player\|-M4MqKQpTCRs8I6I65Rh]):not([value=character\|-M7YiSUD9rhnHKmKmBnY]):not([value=character\|-M7Yi0tFL482VJrJBblW]):not([value=character\|-M7Yi3hBPf_U-VYId7q0]):not([value=character\|-M7YiVxk1Hz1ebQYkDhh]):not([value=character\|-M7YiXjwmM2ztpWWzsj7]):not([value=character\|-MfJu8dkIod0GA9EMclI])
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's pretty cool. I learned something new about CSS today!