Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

UDL, DoorKnocker & Windows

I have noticed that Tokens are able to move freely through Windows setup on the Dynamic Lighting layer. It could be coincidental, but this bug seems to have shown up about the same time that the update to One-Way Walls update was pushed through. I have created a new game, and only enabled the DoorKnocker API suite, and still have the same problem. I have tried switching colors for the Windows, but still run into the same problem. Am I missing something, or are others experiencing the same issue?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You are not missing anything. This has been brought up in several other threads. The API for setting up windows has always been based on exploiting a bug in Dynamic Lighting, and the trick was known to be built on shaky ground. With the advent of one-way walls, that bug was fixed (it essentially kept certain paths from closing completely, letting tokens do an "end run" around some shapes. That's the bad news. Not unexpected, but still not an ideal development. The good news is several-fold. First off Windows are currently next in development for DL. So this situation should be temporary. Also, the one way walls give new opportunities that were not possible before, even with windows, such as columns or tree trunks which block sightlnes, but can still themselves be seen. Finally all these things (plus eventually user-controllable doors) are or will be concurrently available for Plus users, who have never been able to use such things. So slight setback in the temporary loss of an accidental feature, but big advancements either here or coming
keithcurtis said: You are not missing anything. This has been brought up in several other threads. The API for setting up windows has always been based on exploiting a bug in Dynamic Lighting, and the trick was known to be built on shaky ground. With the advent of one-way walls, that bug was fixed (it essentially kept certain paths from closing completely, letting tokens do an "end run" around some shapes. That's the bad news. Not unexpected, but still not an ideal development. The good news is several-fold. First off Windows are currently next in development for DL. So this situation should be temporary. Also, the one way walls give new opportunities that were not possible before, even with windows, such as columns or tree trunks which block sightlnes, but can still themselves be seen. Finally all these things (plus eventually user-controllable doors) are or will be concurrently available for Plus users, who have never been able to use such things. So slight setback in the temporary loss of an accidental feature, but big advancements either here or coming Thank you for the reply. I did look for other threads before creating this one, but I must have overlooked them. Are you aware of any workarounds that have been proposed? I'll try looking again tomorrow, but perhaps a bunch of one-way walls grouped together that could be moved to a different layer depending on if the token is inside or outside of a window?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
No workarounds that I know of at the moment, beyond telling players, "don't go through the window". :D I am curious, do you use this feature primarily for modeling actual windows (sheets of glass or similar), or do you use it for other types of barriers? I've used door knocker pretty heavily (and still use it for doors), but rarely bothered with windows other than for the "hey, look what this script can do" effect.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
And I can understand not seeing mention of the loss of the functionality of the API script. It's not an official Roll20 feature, so it wasn't in any announcements.
keithcurtis said: No workarounds that I know of at the moment, beyond telling players, "don't go through the window". :D I am curious, do you use this feature primarily for modeling actual windows (sheets of glass or similar), or do you use it for other types of barriers? I've used door knocker pretty heavily (and still use it for doors), but rarely bothered with windows other than for the "hey, look what this script can do" effect. I've used it a few times, actually. I'm currently running CoS, and my players have used windows to escape fights, and also to do surveillance. Opening/closing windows has helped to simulate breaking a 2nd story window.  Also, having one party member sneak in, open a window from the inside for others to climb in from the outside. Guess I'll have to use the honor system for now.
I just ignore windows in the maps and theatre of the mind and just work around it, the doorknocker script I use also but never for windows.  Just seemed too tedious when trying to draw all the DL lines.  If the players decide to look out the windows I just drop a breadcrumb.  Sometimes theres just super simple solutions if you accept the fact that the tabletop is not a video game.  
keithcurtis said: No workarounds that I know of at the moment, beyond telling players, "don't go through the window". :D I am curious, do you use this feature primarily for modeling actual windows (sheets of glass or similar), or do you use it for other types of barriers? I've used door knocker pretty heavily (and still use it for doors), but rarely bothered with windows other than for the "hey, look what this script can do" effect. I used to use the window trick a lot to delineate barriers that I didn't want my players to plough on through: fences, cliff edges, and the like. Also used to use it for stair railings: characters could see the staircase but were forced to begin their movement on the bottom step rather than approaching from the side and thus stepping from the floor right onto the middle of the flight. Is that too pedantic of me? Guilty as charged. :) Looking forward to the new, official version!
Windows came in nice for things like prison bars or banisters. Oh well. It was nice but ultimately not necessary. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It will come again. :)