Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pack Macros for Newbies

Hello, I am sorry if this seems dumb, but I want to try and learn how to craft macros partly because of how some spells work. Mainly, things like how Scorching Ray and Eldritch Blast has multiple attack rolls for a single action or how Conjure Beasts, Conjure Woodland Beings, and Animate Object can let you pretty much pack attack targets and you want to handle all the rolls in 1 motion, not 8 clicks of the same button per turn, flooding the chat and making it a bit harder for the DM to manage the numbers. Could an Advantage toggle be placed into them or would it be safer to just do 2 attack rolls side by side like a default roll? I know very little macro work so I was hoping I could get some help on this ^^;
No idea what sheet you are using but you can pretty much google each spell, roll20, and the word macro and get plenty of good macros for them.&nbsp; If you just want a guide to do them yourself: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/5e_OGL_Roll_Templates" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/5e_OGL_Roll_Templates</a> The above link is for the 5e by roll20 character sheet, there is also a wiki guide for the default template, and I'm pretty sure most of the shared generic batch attack macros are in the default template format.&nbsp; I do not use custom macros for EB or SR.&nbsp; I make the player spit out their attacks individually and I do not auto roll damage at my table cause I have players with reactions and abilities that matter before damage is displayed.&nbsp; All of the things you want would not work well if your tabe desires that way of playing as they would all autoroll.&nbsp;&nbsp;

Edited 1650350762
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Here is an example of a pair of macros I use for animate objects, it could be adapted for other spells, abilities or attacks. actually, these are abilities, stored on the character sheet, because this makes the syntax simpler: Tiny Objects Attack &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Swarm of Tiny Objects}} {{description= [HP](#" style="background-color:gold;margin-left:10px;margin-right:5px)&nbsp; AC 18 | Str 4 | Dex 18 : Spd 30 1. Hit [[1d20+8]] 2. Hit [[1d20+8]] 3. Hit [[1d20+8]] 4. Hit [[1d20+8]] 5. Hit [[1d20+8]] 6. Hit [[1d20+8]] 7. Hit [[1d20+8]] 8. Hit [[1d20+8]]&nbsp; 9. Hit [[1d20+8]] 10.Hit [[1d20+8]] Upcast: 11.Hit [[1d20+8]] 12.Hit [[1d20+8]] [Roll Damage](~Tiny-Damage.)}} The "Tiny Damage" ability in the button at the end is an Ability on the same character sheet as the Attack Ability. I roll the attack, the DM tells me how many hits I achieved, and I answer the queries in the Damage ability, feeding in the number of hits and crits. &amp;{template:npcaction} {{rname=Tiny Animated Objects Damage}} {{description=Total Damage [[?{Hits|1}d4+[[?{Hits}*4 ]] ]] plus ?{Crits|0} Crits [[?{Crits}d4]]}} This approach makes even a dozen attacks as simple as one click, verifying against the AC for the number of successes and a second click for the damage. It could be adapted for conjured or summoned creatures.
I guess the only problem here would be to separate out the damage if you were aiming at multiple targets, but at the same time, that just means hitting the prompt multiple times. And by stating the AC outright, the DM doesn't need to constantly ask for such. Still, maybe clean it up for 2 per line for the vertical space lol I'm guessing without an API it be harder to determine if they were done with advantage or not?
Though why did you use a ~ with " [Roll Damage](~Tiny-Damage.) "? I thought calling another macro was with #
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
MagusAndrus said: Though why did you use a ~ with " [Roll Damage](~Tiny-Damage.) "? I thought calling another macro was with # You can use that syntax to call Abilities from a character sheet (or buttons built into the sheet). But you need to create that in an Ability. To use it generally, you need to suppy a character name, like [Roll Damage](~Bob|Tiny-Damage) [Roll Damage](~selected|Tiny-Damage)