Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Release Dates for Upcoming Wizards Titles Shifting

Hey there D&D fans, I come to you with some news that Wizards would like us to share with fans. Some updates for two of their upcoming releases that are currently available for Pre-Order on Roll20.. Journeys Through the Radiant Citadel will be seeing a slight delay. Due to production issues, the release is being delayed to be available both digitally and in stores, on July 19. Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse will now be available both in stores and digitally on Monday, May 16th. This one is actually coming your way earlier than originally anticipated. Thanks Mordy! I'd also like to take this chance to make sure you all know that on Tuesday, May 17th that both Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes will be removed from the Marketplace and no longer be available for sale. If you own these products you will continue to have access to that content but no new sales will be possible. I hope these updates won't hamper your plans to explore these exciting titles soon. This announcement is being made in response to feedback you all have given in the past in hopes of being more informed. Thank you again for the feedback and please let me know if there is more you would like to see from me on this front. And of course, if you haven't checked out these titles yet, no time is better than now to check out their marketplace pages at a special Pre-Order price.
Is there a reason Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes are being removed from the marketplace? I'm worried people will be losing access to content on Roll20 if something isn't included in Monsters of the Multiverse. Also, can we expect to see this happen with any other Wizards books in the future potentially?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Note that none of the following is an official response. I am not a Roll20 representative. The reasons are questions for Wizards of the Coast. The same policy is being enacted on all digital platforms: Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, DnDBeyond, and is a decision that comes from WotC, the license holder. If you have bought the two soon-to-be-discontinued books before the kill date, you will continue to own them and have access to them, and so forth. You bought them. They are yours (as noted in the announcement above). If you have not purchased them before the kill date, the content will be unavailable for future purchase. The same will be true for any print copies, eventually, though physical stock will probably be available for purchase through booksellers until inventories deplete. My understanding from reading various message boards and announcements is that Wizards is now releasing many new campaign world books. The lore and some creatures in the discontinued books was specific to the Forgotten Realms. Future monsters in standalone books will likely be divorced from lore. Halflings in the Forgotten Realms are very, very different from halflings in Dark Sun or kender in Krynn. Eberron orcs are different from FG orcs, and so forth.
Thanks Keith, helpful as always! Wasn't aware this was a WotC decision but makes more sense now.