Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Problems duplicating characters

Several times over the last few days I’ve duplicated a character (let’s call him “Bill”) and instead of creating the usual “Copy of Bill,” it actually creates a second character named Bill. And they really are the same character…if I delete one, they both vanish. Once I tried to replace the deleted Bills by transmogrifying a Bill in from another game, and it told me the character already existed, even though I couldn’t see it or search it. I’m pretty sure that in another case I transmogrified Bill in from another game, tried to duplicate him, got two Bills, deleted one, and he got completely deleted in BOTH games! (At least, he’s gone in both games. I can’t guarantee the cause and effect.) I can’t get this problem to replicate intentionally, it just happens sporadically. Something possibly related that happens consistently though: if I duplicate Bill and drag the token for Copy of Bill onto the tabletop, the token still represents Bill. I’m pretty sure it didn’t used to work that way. Firefox 100.0.1, No add-ons. macOS Monterey 12.3.1.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Aardwulf said: Something possibly related that happens consistently though: if I duplicate Bill and drag the token for Copy of Bill onto the tabletop, the token still represents Bill. I’m pretty sure it didn’t used to work that way. This part is behaving correctly. Maybe not intuitively, but correctly. Duplicating a character has no effect on the default token. It is possible that extensions like VTTES give you the ability to update a default token upon copy, but this is not base functionality. As for the other problem, I'd verify that the behavior persists in a private browsing window (to eliminate the possibility of an extension acting upon the game, capture a Console Log ( Chrome ,  Firefox ), and file a  Help Center Request . That behavior sounds like something is definitely going wrong.