Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New to Roll20, how do I add functionality?

I'm an old hat at both RPGs and programming, but I can't seem to find any basic documentation for how to add functionality to Roll20. My specific project at the moment is to add a Exalted-style turn counter (each action has a different Speed, which determines how many Ticks it takes until the character's next action) to roll20. I don't think I'll need a lot of specific help, but if someone could point me at the documentation for how to add stuff to Roll20, that would be awesome.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
That is the purview of the Roll20 API, a Pro subscriber perk. As a free user, there's not really any ability to add capabilities. You can read up on the API's functionality on the wiki .
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Daniel! If you want to add automation, you have several routes: 1: Macros. These are basically glorified dice rollers, not a programming language. Though the syntax is robust, they have no logical branching or looping. Documented in the Help Center 2: API. This allows you to build JavaScript code. The API can do pretty much anything a player could physically do, though it's a bit more nuanced than that. API access requires a Pro Subscription. Documented in the Help Center, but the Wiki is probably a better resource, since the API tends to be a user playground. 3: A Browser extension. No documentation exists for this as it is not officially supported and has real potential to mess up a game. Your topic title is a bit generic. You might get more useful input by posting a specific issue with the game system and need in the title, to catch the attention of others who might have already found solutions. Example: "Need Help Building an Exalted-Style Turn Counter" in Bug Reports and Technical Issues. If you have API access, then this might also be a good forum for such a thread. I have no experience with the system, so don't really know what the requirements might be.
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
"Adding functionality to Roll20" generally falls under one of 2 umbrellas: ...adding via the API, or ...adding via a browser extension Adding Via API The API is a Pro level perk, so you'd either have to upgrade your account or dabble in a game owned by a Pro level subscriber. A good place to start is the Wiki: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Introduction" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Introduction</a> Most likely this is what you are looking for. If you have a specific question after reviewing that link, post back. There's a good community here willing to answer questions. Also, there is an abundant resource of sample code at the Roll20 GitHub repository you could review to see how people have done what you want to do: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-api-scripts" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-api-scripts</a> Adding Via Extension There are a few projects in the works that utilize a browser extension to extract or inject info into Roll20. The scope of this is really beyond what you'll find in the wiki, though there are a few projects in the works by people on these forums (like this one).
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
Trail cams caught Keith ninja-ing the thread!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
And yet, I was outninja'd myself.
Oosh
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You'd think a Metamancer would have some way of shin-kicking his way to the top of the replies....

Edited 1655985607
David M.
Pro
API Scripter
!postNinja&nbsp;{&amp; select timmaugh} --create|&lt;msg&gt;
timmaugh
Pro
API Scripter
HA! .....aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd... *SCENE*