Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Default Token Settings Not Working

I changed the default token settings (I want no nameplate and auras visible to all), and I did the "Apply Default Settings" in the game, but existing character sheets in the journal are not updated. I don't want to delete players' sheets and force them to re-create everything just to get these settings applied. I noticed that new sheets have the settings applied. Please tell me how to get the existing sheets updated to match the default settings so I don't have to constantly change token settings every time they are dragged onto a page. That's a significant time drag in-game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Jennifer! "Apply Default Settings" does not affect saved default tokens, only newly the behavior of newly created tokens. (It's more complex than that, but this is true for the purposes of your issue). To make a change stick on a default token, drag it onto the VTT, edit the token, then open the character sheet and click the edit button. Delete the old default token from the sheet and use the newly edited token to be the new default. Since you have pro, you can install the token mod script to do this in one step for all selected tokens (even all at once): !token-mod --set showplayers_aura1|true showplayers_aura2|true showplayers_name|false defaulttoken If you want the nameplate completely off (not just for players) use this instead: !token-mod --set showplayers_aura1|true showplayers_aura2|true showname |false defaulttoken After you run that command, subsequent drags from the journal tab will pull the new default tokens. If you need assistance installing or running scripts, say the word.
Installed the script, ran the commands. Worked for one of the tokens, not for the other. The one it didn't work for now also appears very tiny when dragged onto the page. No other tokens appear tiny when dragged onto the page.
Odd that it wasn't doing the tiny-token thing before. I noticed that if I don't have a default token, the avatar image comes out 1 square in size. However, before running the token-mod commands, the default token was not behaving that way. So, after I removed the default token, I used the "use selected token", and it was again coming out tiny when dragged out. I repeated this, and suddenly it is 1 square when dragged out. Not sure what will happen if I try again. This is very odd. Also, it is now properly set with auras and no nameplate. I wonder why this method caused such unexpected behavior on that one character sheet.
Ah, I know now why it changes to being tiny, except for that first time I experienced it. You probably already knew this, but the token scaling is applied when the default token is set, based on the cell-width scale modifier. So if it was set when the scale was 1, it's 1 square. If set when the scale is 0.5, then it is 0.5 of a square. That doesn't explain the first time I saw it happen, because I hadn't removed and re-added the default token yet. I can't reproduce that odd situation, but at least I know why the rest of the time it was tiny, and how to fix it. I'm a software engineer, I can't help myself, sorry if I've spammed you!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You got it.  Sometimes you can get odd behavior if a character sheet is named oddly, or shares part of its name with another sheet (depending on how the macro si constructed. Example a character named Mike (Matches) Malone" will break a lot of macros. It's a good idea to avoid control characters in character names: (){}[]@#$%^&*'" Don't know if that might have been a contributor to the outlier, but it's a useful thing to know.