Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Show all nameplates

Edited 1658168251
Ezra
KS Backer
I'm trying to get the NPC nameplates to appear for all my players. Based on some threads like this one , I have gone to the Game Default Settings to turn on nameplates, but when I go into the game and attempt to do Apply Default Settings there does not appear to be a way to apply these settings, all I see is this: I don't see any way to change the show nameplate settings globally for all tokens already in the game. Am I missing something? Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Ezra! Sometimes those settings do not propagate well. Try: Exit the game. On the settings page, update the appropriate setting. Make sure you save the correct section. There are three(?) save settings buttons on that page, each one controlling a different section. If your setting is already correct, toggle it, save, reload and toggle again. Exit the settings page Reload the campaign Check to see if that setting is available. You may need to repeat this step. If it is available, click to change the setting. Wait. There is a thin easy-to-miss progress bar, and you want to make sure you do not close the dialog box too soon. This may take several minutes depending on the campaign. This will change the settings on every placed token and on new tokens and compendium drops. It will not affect saved default tokens. Hopefully that will do it. Usually, you do not need to be so methodical, but since there seems to be a hiccup in the process when you try, it's good to be as thorough as possible. You can also try these steps while using a different browser. Post again if those steps do not work.
Awesome, thanks Keith!! That methodical process does seem to have worked. Any way to also change the saved default tokens as well..? =)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ezra said: Awesome, thanks Keith!! That methodical process does seem to have worked. Any way to also change the saved default tokens as well..? =) Only with the scripting Mods. The default token is a snapshot of settings for what to create when dragging a journal character to the VTT. It isn't really controlled by anything in the interface, and is designed to be sort of a "bomb-proof" default for that character. The API could redefine something like that on the defaults, or just allow you to drag out a default and run a command on it that would expose the name and re-save the default. But without using a Mod, there's no way to automate that.

Edited 1658174346
Ezra
KS Backer
I just realized tokenmod can basically do this. This is for one of the 5e modules that has a page with all the tokens from the whole module on it, so I can select them all and (with the API): !token-mod --set defaulttoken So once I've changed all the tokens in the campaign, I can do that on all the tokens on the token page, and that will fix the default tokens when I manually drag new ones out. Edit : I was writing this when you posted Keith. My solution here is basically a workaround, but did the trick for me. Thanks again!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Excellent! I would have posted macros, but I didn't see a "Pro" tag next to your name and assumed Mod scripts were unavailable.
Yeah, I have a Pro account, not sure why it doesn't show it in the forums... I don't post much, but I think I remember seeing it before. And I do see it on my profile page. Weird forum glitch or something.

Edited 1658193634
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yup, it appears that when you have both, the KS Backer trumps the Pro badge. It does show on your profile page.