Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Asset, license, and credit tracking tips

OK, so you've got your brand new spiffy module all built and ready to launch on the marketplace. But first you gotta get all your asset tracking and credits in order! You made all your maps in Dungeondraft which doesn't require additional commercial licensing. But you did use some other assets from... hooboy, where did you get them from? Ah! Forgotten Adventures, which is a $20 flat fee as long as all your gaming-related income for the past 12 months is below $12K, and you release 4 or fewer products this month. You also made some tokens using Token Stamp borders that are under CC license and require attribution. You also used some public domain music from the Internet Archive, which doesn't require attribution, but you'd like to anyway. And lastly, the module includes 5e SRD content so it must include the OGL requirements. Whew!  Next you gotta track even more stuff like that across a dozen products.  How do you do it? I get the feeling that most content creators limit themselves to keep things simple, but I'd love to hear about your approach to the nuts-and-bolts of asset, license, and credit tracking. Spreadsheets? File names & metadata? Zotero reference management? Share your experiences, please!
Fethalis
Pro
Marketplace Creator
For me for my assets I usually check those if I need to do extra something and send e-mail to owner that this is my shoppage I am using your assets and this is my commercial license number. This really helped me with one or two things.  If I work on one shots I check everything on srd to do make it happen but I usually avoid to put monsters in my one shot which is I only recommend DM s to use this kind of monsters so they can adjust campaign to their players level too.  For the names I check quick copyright online and always try to use different map and token names for my assets. I think there is a bug if you use same names and someone buy your all assets it is not showing up or something. So always try to use different names for tokens, maps etc.  That is all I do.
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I release all my DungeonDraft packs as not requiring credit for this reason. As a creator if I need to keep track of credit I put it in my file name! :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If it's not totally free without requiring any kind of acknowledgement, I don't use it. It's easier to make my own stuff than keep track of licensing.
Thanks, y'all! Woah, Tiffany! I hadn't realized your assets were CAL-NA-NRB. Neat!

Edited 1659820777
Tiffany M.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
keithcurtis said: If it's not totally free without requiring any kind of acknowledgement, I don't use it. It's easier to make my own stuff than keep track of licensing. This is how I feel (I'm lazy!) and this is why I release my assets as CAL-NA-NRB! (Commercial allowed, attribution not required, don't resell the assets without having integrated them into some composition of your own) I decided to do this when I was 18 and made my first asset pack, a Photoshop map brush set and to commit to doing it with all my packs. It's just easier. snuh said: Thanks, y'all! Woah, Tiffany! I hadn't realized your assets were CAL-NA-NRB. Neat! Yeah! Technically, they're sold for personal use on the Roll20 marketplace but I would uphold honoring the same license use if someone wanted to use the PNGs they bought from me in the Roll20 marketplace. If only because I wouldn't be able to tell which site you bought them on if you were planning to use them to make a map for resale.